• Thurs news: Merck - Weight-loss drugs and healthcare costs. GSK and Pfizer RSV vaccines in younger adults. Pharma mega-mergers. Lilly launches Mounjaro in Denmark. Lundbeck pipeline. See more on our front page

Merck just laid off tons and kept Inventiv reps

Anonymous

So, was Tim Rudolphi lying when he said the following:

"As the product life cycle dictates less demand for share of voice, as they often do, we will be in a position with Quintiles to adjust our sales force size back to pre-contract levels, insuring that our current sales force will not be impacted by the change in demand".

Now Tim, you know this company has history of telling big fat ones.

Spring of 2010......."We need everyone in this room"

Be honest with us Buddy, are you telling the truth or not?

"As the product life cycle dictates less demand for share of voice, as they often do, we will be in a position with Quintiles to adjust our sales force size back to pre-contract levels, insuring that our current sales force will not be impacted by the change in demand".

Of course I'm not. But if you knew the truth, then you'd leave and we want you to leave when we want you to. Not before. This is giving us time to properly train up your replacements on the merits of Takeda ism. We only need you to get Brintellix and Contrave off the ground, then you will be replaced by the contract people you are currently training. The lying isn't personal, it's just good business.

Of course I'm not. But if you knew the truth, then you'd leave and we want you to leave when we want you to. Not before. This is giving us time to properly train up your replacements on the merits of Takeda ism. We only need you to get Brintellix and Contrave off the ground, then you will be replaced by the contract people you are currently training. The lying isn't personal, it's just good business.

They are all fucking lying pieces of shit! Yes, they will fire those with the highest salaries, and keep those (Quintiles) with the lowest.

It's a nice thought, but I think it sounds too good to be true.

Here's what I'm sure their planning. Hire the cheapest/youngest headcount (0-2 years sales exp) you can through Quintiles, then have your senior reps train them, then convert them to full time employees, then lay off legacy (overpaid) reps. Out with the old, in with the new energy!

Here's what I'm sure their planning. Hire the cheapest/youngest headcount (0-2 years sales exp) you can through Quintiles, then have your senior reps train them, then convert them to full time employees, then lay off legacy (overpaid) reps. Out with the old, in with the new energy!

Yes, there is already a plan to have the top reps train them. Once they are trained, they will be converted to full-time Takeda employees. This lays the ground work to run the bulldozer full throttle and clear out your highest paid/most senior reps.

They call it churning to reduce headcount expense. Salespeople are an expense and will be managed accordingly. When your car gets old, it starts costing you more money to provide the same basic transportation a newer model costs. The analogy is good except you never pay off your reps salary in 36 or 60 months.

Merck has done this MULTIPLE times in the last 10 years. At first, we were told that we were just helping to develop our new counterparts. Then a layoff would come and they kept all the newbies. In recent years, management came right out and told us we were training our replacements and gave us a timeframe around how long we would remain employed or be given the chance to interview for our old jobs. That is how I ended up here. Takeda is following the EXACT same path.

Well, you're kind of correct. Except, they won't hire the contract Quintiles reps on at Takeda. They'll just keep them contract sales. Makes no sense to carry them as employees with all the car, health insurance, 401k match and kicker costs. The plan has to be in place and the writing is on the wall. I'm not doing sh^t to help them. Get my knowledge and experience and then cut me. No way. Don't share and we'll be much less expendable.

Now that's just good business from a rep perspective!

Well, you're kind of correct. Except, they won't hire the contract Quintiles reps on at Takeda. They'll just keep them contract sales. Makes no sense to carry them as employees with all the car, health insurance, 401k match and kicker costs. The plan has to be in place and the writing is on the wall. I'm not doing sh^t to help them. Get my knowledge and experience and then cut me. No way. Don't share and we'll be much less expendable.

Now that's just good business from a rep perspective!

They said these new Quintiles people are getting car, salary, everything the same as Takeda reps, except they're still contract with Quintiles. It's cheaper to hire them directly than to pay them through Quintiles - either way, the goal is the same - replace us, with them. And yes, no way I'm helping these newbies one bit even if they are on my team.

These posts are just sad. You were all newbies at one point and if someone didn't help you along you wouldn't be where you are you today. To say that you are going to "keep your knowledge" to yourself and not help just shows your lack of confidence in your ability. Someone mentored you, what's wrong with mentoring others. If your confident in yourself and as good as you claim to be, competition would not be a concern.

These posts are just sad. You were all newbies at one point and if someone didn't help you along you wouldn't be where you are you today. To say that you are going to "keep your knowledge" to yourself and not help just shows your lack of confidence in your ability. Someone mentored you, what's wrong with mentoring others. If your confident in yourself and as good as you claim to be, competition would not be a concern.

I couldn't agree more. What a backwards mindset?

I hope you're not serious with this post. When we were newbies, the company hadn't undergone two MAJOR layoffs. We also hadn't tinkered with contract people. The relationships built with physicians was important enough that you would NEVER mess with a sales person who wasn't highly qualified. Now we're being asked to mentor substandard sales people. Anyone who would accept such a low starting base pay is substandard. If the field thought we were training counterparts to help us going forward, we would gladly do it. This is a replacement force and you damn well know it!

I hope you're not serious with this post. When we were newbies, the company hadn't undergone two MAJOR layoffs. We also hadn't tinkered with contract people. The relationships built with physicians was important enough that you would NEVER mess with a sales person who wasn't highly qualified. Now we're being asked to mentor substandard sales people. Anyone who would accept such a low starting base pay is substandard. If the field thought we were training counterparts to help us going forward, we would gladly do it. This is a replacement force and you damn well know it!

Perfectly said! Spot on. Anybody with a brain knows they are replacement reps.

So not only are Takeda reps going to be replaced by CSOs, they are going to be competing for jobs with all the laid off Merck reps.

Hmmmm... A hiring manager has two possible candidates, one from Merck and one from Takeda.........which one do you think he'd hire?

Heeeeeelllllll NO, Tim aint tellin the truth! He be lyin his ass off!!!

They said these new Quintiles people are getting car, salary, everything the same as Takeda reps, except they're still contract with Quintiles. It's cheaper to hire them directly than to pay them through Quintiles - either way, the goal is the same - replace us, with them. And yes, no way I'm helping these newbies one bit even if they are on my team.

Let me guess, you must have a Liberal Arts, Communications or Hospitality Management Degree. As a contract rep you’re out the door when contract either ends, or the drug you’re selling goes generic or is just a bad drug. As an employee, it is more difficult to get rid of you. Eliminating variable costs, such as legal, and so on it is more effective than to save a little upfront.
Please stick to your daily lunches, driving the kids around and put in your 3 hours per day and start saving lots of money. Don’t worry be happy…

Strategic restructuring coming. They can lie in so many ways.

Just like in December 2011 "we are right where we (Takeda) want to be going forward. The future is good". Three weeks later 2,800 were sent packing. Deceivers at the least, outright liars at the worst.