• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

McKinsey here. Taking any and all questions

anonymous

Don't blame us for the layoffs that you are going through. Blame your executives.

For those of you unfamiliar with management consultants, we simply do what the company's executives want...but they need CYA insurance. If the C-suite implements a strategy or solution and it flops, they can point at McKinsey and say "they told us so. You think you're smarter than McKinsey????"

Like all of you, I just do this for the paycheck. Don't take it personally.

I have enjoyed reading through this forum because it confirms a lot of my preconceived notions based on being in Lawrenceville (or "LVL" as you call it) the last few months and interacting with some of the employees. I am happy to take any questions. Hope for better days ahead.

<

Don't blame us for the layoffs that you are going through. Blame your executives.

For those of you unfamiliar with management consultants, we simply do what the company's executives want...but they need CYA insurance. If the C-suite implements a strategy or solution and it flops, they can point at McKinsey and say "they told us so. You think you're smarter than McKinsey????"

I have enjoyed reading through this forum because it confirms a lot of my preconceived notions based on being in Lawrenceville (or "LVL" as you call it) the last few months and interacting with some of the employees. I am happy to take any questions. Hope for better days ahead.
Thank you for confirming consultants are morally bankrupt. Confessions of a McKinsey Whistleblower

I remember when the geniuses at McKinsey renamed 'Early Candidate Nominations' to 'Drug Candidates', reset the decision point metrics to different names and got paid millions for an R&D reorganization plan.
Simply brilliant stuff. RnD rank and file were dazzled by McKinsey's consulting Savvy....

I remember when the geniuses at McKinsey renamed 'Early Candidate Nominations' to 'Drug Candidates', reset the decision point metrics to different names and got paid millions for an R&D reorganization plan.
Simply brilliant stuff. RnD rank and file were dazzled by McKinsey's consulting Savvy....
McKinsey is being used a scapegoat for your management team's poor decisionmaking.

These ideas come from up top, then we create thousands of pages of powerpoint decks and analysis to justify the predetermined decision that management wants. This is how management consulting works.

BMS is hardly the only Fortune 500 company that uses us, but I would say based on my experiences with others that your company is uniquely disfunctional and has some serious issues which I won't go into. It wasn't our decision to do the mass layoffs.

- McKinsey

McKinsey is being used a scapegoat for your management team's poor decisionmaking.

These ideas come from up top, then we create thousands of pages of powerpoint decks and analysis to justify the predetermined decision that management wants. This is how management consulting works.

BMS is hardly the only Fortune 500 company that uses us, but I would say based on my experiences with others that your company is uniquely disfunctional and has some serious issues which I won't go into. It wasn't our decision to do the mass layoffs.

- McKinsey
Tell us something we don’t know. BMS management is massively dysfunctional. How long before they just close LVL?

Tell us something we don’t know. BMS management is massively dysfunctional. How long before they just close LVL?
I cannot go into specifics on any confidential stuff or strategic initiatives that might be underway. More so wanted to let everyone know that McKinsey shouldn't shoulder the blame for these layoffs and you should look for accountability from your LT. I hate seeing people lose their jobs, and especially so in this economic environment where people are struggling mightily.

I cannot go into specifics on any confidential stuff or strategic initiatives that might be underway. More so wanted to let everyone know that McKinsey shouldn't shoulder the blame for these layoffs and you should look for accountability from your LT. I hate seeing people lose their jobs, and especially so in this economic environment where people are struggling mightily.
What makes BMS uniquely dysfunctional and is it actually fixable or hopeless in your opinion.

If you hate seeing people lose their jobs then quit. Until then you are nothing but a parasite.

I have a job offer at a FAANG company can you please get BMS to lay me off so I can be free. I beg you. Please get me out of here. Tell them my role is useless. Free me!!!!

Would there be any reason for a McKinsey consultant to be looking at profiles on LinkedIn?

I have been a consultant when our job was to clean up the aftermath from McKinsey.

They always had solid plans, logical, but nothing unique to how the client was positioned in terms of having an ability to execute on the plan. Typically the person that brought them in had already failed up which was always a problem because it created resentment from the people that knew what had to change, but had to watch McK set all the money on fire limiting what we were able to address.

I experienced a unique layer of problems because there is a tradition of clients paying a vendor to do their job for them so there was zero chance the internal leaders were capable of doing anything with any plan they were given. Pharma over indexes towards sales and politics.

As a former consultant myself, I don’t want to put all the blame on McK, BCG, Accenture, etc… They do what you will pay them to do. In my experience, Pharma is more concerned with feeling good than the discomfort needed to be good. Consultants and agencies are not incentivized to make things simpler or faster. Unfortunately, there is no money in the cure for them.

I have been a consultant when our job was to clean up the aftermath from McKinsey.

They always had solid plans, logical, but nothing unique to how the client was positioned in terms of having an ability to execute on the plan. Typically the person that brought them in had already failed up which was always a problem because it created resentment from the people that knew what had to change, but had to watch McK set all the money on fire limiting what we were able to address.

I experienced a unique layer of problems because there is a tradition of clients paying a vendor to do their job for them so there was zero chance the internal leaders were capable of doing anything with any plan they were given. Pharma over indexes towards sales and politics.

As a former consultant myself, I don’t want to put all the blame on McK, BCG, Accenture, etc… They do what you will pay them to do. In my experience, Pharma is more concerned with feeling good than the discomfort needed to be good. Consultants and agencies are not incentivized to make things simpler or faster. Unfortunately, there is no money in the cure for them.
The problem is pharma has been addicted to small molecules easy assets, now things have changed and every one is competing for whatever crumbs are left over, the M&A strategy isn't working, it's old mentality of big pharma just buy another company or do a merger when you get LOE, problem is they overpaying and it's not generating the same returns as in the past. Celgene deal for BMS is a disaster, what was the return vs cost, they spend 70 billion and have not recouped that money let alone gotten a return.

I think the industry will change vastly over the next decade

The problem is pharma has been addicted to small molecules easy assets, now things have changed and every one is competing for whatever crumbs are left over, the M&A strategy isn't working, it's old mentality of big pharma just buy another company or do a merger when you get LOE, problem is they overpaying and it's not generating the same returns as in the past. Celgene deal for BMS is a disaster, what was the return vs cost, they spend 70 billion and have not recouped that money let alone gotten a return.

I think the industry will change vastly over the next decade

Maybe you can help us from the inside. We all have families. I was laid off only to get rehired months later because they brought back the jobs. bI basically missed months of pay for no reason. Please at least try to help from the inside, this is such a mess. I know you can't respond to this, but at least think about it. I know you care because you are on here. At least there is one of you.

Get back to work you drone!