MBA Sales Reps

I got my MBA on the company dime and time and have no regrets. Actually, the sad thing is that I had by far the best, highest paying job out of all my classmates. Doing the MBA made me appreciate what I have and kept me from going crazy with boredom. I highly recommend bettering yourself for while you have the opportunity. I'm now considering pursuing a MS in biotechnology. Why not? Lord knows I have enough time on my hands...

I paid my own way and it is like being weighed down with the cost of paying off a mortgage. Where is that 100K coming from? If you're over 50 your decision may be not wise unless you just came into a big lottery winner. You can learn IT without the frills and crushing loans if you want skills....most IT wiz pros do not have the parchments.

Getting an MBA while your rep really is a good deal, no brainer, even if it is from some weekend minor college program..company paying for it..you got plenty of time as rep to study.. Bigger question is what to do with it afterward...staying a rep with an MBA doesn't add up.

Getting an MBA while your rep really is a good deal, no brainer, even if it is from some weekend minor college program..company paying for it..you got plenty of time as rep to study.. Bigger question is what to do with it afterward...staying a rep with an MBA doesn't add up.

Agree but why do they stick around? Guess they think a CTL big boy or big girl job is coming their way.....

Hope they don't hold their breath!

I had my MBA covered years ago when in was the hot thing to do, it was and is the most useless parchment available. My dual science degrees were the big money makers. Oh yes, Merck covered the whole cost and the acronym looks good on a resume but again worthless!

I am in sales. I also got my MBA mid career, from a reputable school. I'm glad I did it, but it honestly does not set one apart from others out in the field. Perhaps in the home office, but I am no longer in that environment. Despite that, I am glad I got my MBA as I feel I understand business models and strategy at a much deeper level than I did before (I also had a Business undergrad degree). Surprisingly, I found some of my physicians respected my going back to school for it and my MBA has brought me the ability to have better discussions on the nuances of the evolving business model of healthcare today. I had a physicians tell me "You shouldn't be in sales. Don't take this wrong way, but you are brighter than doing sales."
But has the degree or the knowledge gotten me opportunities in the field? No. Honestly, its a non factor.
In the field, promotions are based on who one knows both in the company and relationships with key influential customers, and rankings/sales performance (Of which I've been successful).
Bottom line, if you are going for the degree to push the needle on your career, go for it if you desire marketing, finance or operations in the home office. If you are a field person only, it's not going to be viewed as a value add from my experience with one (Despite all the "MBA preferred" in job listings) . You will learn ALOT in the journey in getting one, more than most who don't have one realize, but its just not valued in the field. Good luck in your decision.

You need to get your MBA while still young and from a great school; that's the deal. And unless you have a very specific concentration like pharmaceutical marketing, you may want to change industries.

Getting a MBA with company support great idea..but what for , what's your goal? If its I get to order new business cards and a new name badge with some extra letters well that's nice.. if its I'm going to network my butt off and look hard for my next major career steep UP and Out of being a rep while taking classes...well that's better.

Getting a MBA with company support great idea..but what for , what's your goal? If its I get to order new business cards and a new name badge with some extra letters well that's nice.. if its I'm going to network my butt off and look hard for my next major career steep UP and Out of being a rep while taking classes...well that's better.

I recommend real estate license.