LEFT THIS SILLY JOB BEHIND (And I feel fine!!)

Retired from mrk after 28 years and yes the transition was hard. I should have done it when the shit happened with Vioxx and Enhance. I do not miss anything about this company. My mistake i stayed on and become complacent and focusd on collecting the paycheck. Indeed life was miserable pretending to work with no ethics or purpose. To think wasted all this time and talent for a dishonest business model.

The business model is broken and honestly cannot be fixed because big pharma has no trust. u have people in management pretending that they driving business growth which is lie. There is no credible management at Merck. The Vioxx folks were rewarded and running Merck.
Interesting Merck spin about channelling funds to Governor Perry and all the memos about doing similar mandates leveraging these scum of politicians.

In a way it's sad to read posts from current Merck reps who are still convinced that the pros outweigh the cons with this "job". I could give my laundry list of the cons, but I'll just say - you don't know until you know. Life outside of pharma, specifically Merck, is fantastic! When you're at Merck for a while, you forget what it's like to work in a positive environment where managers and peers do what they can to make things better.

Until this veil is lifted, you'll continue to live in this delusional world where "pharma is still the best gig in town" and "the pros outweigh the cons".

Guess you lifted the veil....and exactly what type of job are you now in? Be detailed in your description. Stange that all the move on crowd fails to tell us any details. Where they are, what jobs and any the full details.

You want us to believe? Sounds like spin more than anythings else........

You are so right. It's like some pharma people get this delusional disease that nothing can top pharma. This is so not true if you have marketable skills, are ambitious, and have developed a decent network of people that can be a tremendous source of support and help in changing jobs and careers. This pharma sales gig is so over and the sooner one can accept it and move on with their life, the so much better off they will be. Didn't say it would be easy but it is well worth the effort to surprise yourself with a real job.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt as they say...you are so right...

It is amazing to me that people stick around at Merck, in a toxic, often hostile work environment, thinking it is the end of their little world if they no longer get to be drug reps anymore...

Granted, I hate getting up early and that is why I stayed a drug rep for over 25 years...But let me tell you this...There is a better life outside of Merck...You will feel better, sleep better, and look better once you are away from the stress of this phony, socially engineered industry.

I make 1/3rd of what I made in pharma, had to move to a small apt. from a large house, but I have never been happier, than being out of the nightmare called Merck...

People...get the courage and realize that PHARMA IS OVER as a good job...

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt as they say...you are so right...

It is amazing to me that people stick around at Merck, in a toxic, often hostile work environment, thinking it is the end of their little world if they no longer get to be drug reps anymore...

Granted, I hate getting up early and that is why I stayed a drug rep for over 25 years...But let me tell you this...There is a better life outside of Merck...You will feel better, sleep better, and look better once you are away from the stress of this phony, socially engineered industry.

I make 1/3rd of what I made in pharma, had to move to a small apt. from a large house, but I have never been happier, than being out of the nightmare called Merck...

People...get the courage and realize that PHARMA IS OVER as a good job...

No night work required?

The business model is broken and honestly cannot be fixed because big pharma has no trust. u have people in management pretending that they driving business growth which is lie. There is no credible management at Merck. The Vioxx folks were rewarded and running Merck.
Interesting Merck spin about channelling funds to Governor Perry and all the memos about doing similar mandates leveraging these scum of politicians.

Who are the scum, the acceleration of profits motives or politician taking money. Answer BOTH. See how Perry says it was a mistake. What you say Dave Schecter?

Pharma is great for 3-4 years but after that it just becomes a backwater to cruise in your 'career'...should have gotten out but stayed, easy money, hours, etc...laid off but fortunately able to get that real sales job everyone talks about...lots more hours, nights, weekends, pressure to produce, but I do have real responsibility and am not embarrassed if my kids to have my kids see me at work (versus pharma sales "daddy why are you standing in that closet for so long?"

Guess you lifted the veil....and exactly what type of job are you now in? Be detailed in your description. Stange that all the move on crowd fails to tell us any details. Where they are, what jobs and any the full details.

You want us to believe? Sounds like spin more than anythings else........

Do you want me to post my job description? How detailed do you want it?

I'll tell you in all your pessimism. Believe me, I understand your defensive demeanor. I had it too when everyone at my company was trying to bring others down around them. Actually, I work in managed care now. And here's the real kicker. I deal with pharma from the managed care side and make decisions on formulary. (well, there are a group of us) I've actually sat across the table from some of the old managers who were "supporting" the NEA. Oh, life is grand! I've also sat on the other side of the table from some docs who used to blow me off for lunch after I dropped $150 on their thankless offices. This is a national managed care company. That might narrow it down for ya.

But, go on "living the dream" and pay no attention to the little voice inside you telling you what a drag pharma is.

Do you want me to post my job description? How detailed do you want it?

I'll tell you in all your pessimism. Believe me, I understand your defensive demeanor. I had it too when everyone at my company was trying to bring others down around them. Actually, I work in managed care now. And here's the real kicker. I deal with pharma from the managed care side and make decisions on formulary. (well, there are a group of us) I've actually sat across the table from some of the old managers who were "supporting" the NEA. Oh, life is grand! I've also sat on the other side of the table from some docs who used to blow me off for lunch after I dropped $150 on their thankless offices. This is a national managed care company. That might narrow it down for ya.

But, go on "living the dream" and pay no attention to the little voice inside you telling you what a drag pharma is.

Again, no details. What is your title? Your pharma sales position helped you get a job approving formulary drugs? yeah right! Be specific, exactly what job do you have, and what are all the other great jobs that a pharma rep should be willing to voluntarily cut their salary by 70% for.

BTW, wouldnt it be better to, as rep, simply save 70% of each check, rather than quitting and taking a job for 30% of your earnings? Why work 25 years, when you can work 8 for the same money? hmmmm!

Again, no details. What is your title? Your pharma sales position helped you get a job approving formulary drugs? yeah right! Be specific, exactly what job do you have, and what are all the other great jobs that a pharma rep should be willing to voluntarily cut their salary by 70% for.

BTW, wouldnt it be better to, as rep, simply save 70% of each check, rather than quitting and taking a job for 30% of your earnings? Why work 25 years, when you can work 8 for the same money? hmmmm!

Know a few reps that return to their old profession as a R.Ph.s. A pharmacist can be on a P&T Committee.

Know a rep that return to his old job as a Physician Assistant. He was looking for a change and did not like it. Old employer offered a great deal and he went back to the clinic.

As Buzz said to Woody, "You are a sad, sad little man... and you have my pity.". How did you arrive at this 70/30 figure? As I said in my first post in this thread, some reps are delusional, believing the pros outweigh the cons. If you believe that's all you'd get in another market, you're either way out of touch, or maybe you're right for yourself and your skills/education leave you no choice.

In the interest of anonymity, I'm not inclined to give more details than what I've given. You are free to believe me or not. You're also free (as long as you keep your job) to continue sacrificing your dignity as a drug rep for docs who look down on you. "Oh, no! I'm a top tier rep! My doctors respect me!! My manage appreciates me! No, no they don't. So continue to stand at those closets and convince yourself you have a real career. Mother needs your type.

Save 70% of funds from my check!

I'd have to live in a box on the street!

Know a few reps that return to their old profession as a R.Ph.s. A pharmacist can be on a P&T Committee.

Know a rep that return to his old job as a Physician Assistant. He was looking for a change and did not like it. Old employer offered a great deal and he went back to the clinic.

Health Jobs still with a paycheck....RPh, PharmD (best!), RN, NP (best!), PA, PT (if in a clinic), CDE (so, so) LPN (passes but low), techs (sono etc...lower pay).

Most others low pay and high career exit rate......

The point is, there is life outside of Merck, but too many reps cling to this like it's the last bottle of water on earth. As bad as you think it is, you don't realize exactly how bad until you get out of the industry and back into a professional work environment. I've said it before on these boards and I'll say it again. One of the most pointed examples of how low this career has gotten is when (and every rep does this) you pull your car over on territory and kill some time so you don't get home too early. Does that sound like something you always imagined your college education amounting to? That sounds like you're describing a summer gig in high school! But Merck managers drive reps with college degrees to lower themselves like this.

The point is, there is life outside of Merck, but too many reps cling to this like it's the last bottle of water on earth. As bad as you think it is, you don't realize exactly how bad until you get out of the industry and back into a professional work environment. I've said it before on these boards and I'll say it again. One of the most pointed examples of how low this career has gotten is when (and every rep does this) you pull your car over on territory and kill some time so you don't get home too early. Does that sound like something you always imagined your college education amounting to? That sounds like you're describing a summer gig in high school! But Merck managers drive reps with college degrees to lower themselves like this.

so true...we have all done this...someone else on CP yesterday described the rep job as driving "haplessly around" trying to find the motivation to get out of your car and grab a few signatures...that pretty much sums it up...my dignity was worth more than Merck's blood money ultimately...

I guess the above is why so many call the job a joke....a farce...a sham...make-believe. Never the less, it is what it is, and it is a job with a paycheck, undignified though it may be.

How does one take anything seriously when the Mrk house is built on lies. Remember that the Vioxx jokers are running this company and they succeeded in changing the total business model.