• Tue news: Merck's Keytruda stages comeback in head and neck cancer. GSK, Pfizer RSV vaccine sales fall. Astellas gene therapy bet. Extreme weather —>drug shortages. J&J discontinues bladder cancer drug. See more on our front page

Leadership by cliche = failure!

PS If your in your forties, get out NOW. If your in your fifties, your Pfed because this company will get rid of you before you reach retirement age and then you will most likely have a hard time getting hired with another firm.

No, i'm in early thirties, my husband is out of work and i have a toddler. I have not choice but to stay here at the moment. I dread going to work every morning. I'm heading towards 10 years between wyeth and Pfizer and i loved my job until Pfizer swooped down and stole my soul

30 pct reduction in the number of VPs and Sr. Directors would be a good start. Leading by example would be another way to give the sense that we are all in this together. A guaranteed period of stability. E.g. No reorgs for 3 years for research would be another good thing.

During a previous downsize, Ian stood up and said there would be no more reorgs for about 5 yrs, to the sales force. We have had at least 3 more since that time. Be careful what u are told by your DMs Nd RMs as they don not know. They repeat only what they are told. Seen it many times over the years.

I for one am going to take the advice of the brilliant GG, I am going "to do less with less"...I know get "less benefits" so I am going to do "less work"....see, I am doing less with less...

No, i'm in early thirties, my husband is out of work and i have a toddler. I have not choice but to stay here at the moment. I dread going to work every morning. I'm heading towards 10 years between wyeth and Pfizer and i loved my job until Pfizer swooped down and stole my soul

Happens. When Pfizer bought out Parke Davis, it felt like we were being slowly attacked by a Dragon. You have to trick your mind in order to keep your employment and sanity. When your manager works with you just kiss arse, tell him/her how helpful they are and ask them for their opinions. That's the Pfizer Way.

Meantime, just make sure you have your resume ready to roll. Keep your chin up.

During a previous downsize, Ian stood up and said there would be no more reorgs for about 5 yrs, to the sales force. We have had at least 3 more since that time. Be careful what u are told by your DMs Nd RMs as they don not know. They repeat only what they are told. Seen it many times over the years.

One thing I learned about upper management here. They Lie. In order to keep the Brand Name Messaging going.

I'm in the same boat.
Ive resigned myself to the fact, IT'S A JOB. A paycheck ONLY.
No different that tightening bolts on the assembly line.
My income helps supplement my husbands & we can enjoy life.
Shed that psychological baggage & ENJOY.

Thank god it is Monday
Invest to win
Own It
Winning in the marketplace
Earning society's respect

The previous guy was erratic, micromanager and all over the place. He appeared to think in paragraphs though...this one only seems to think in stock phrases. He is an excellent and ruthless cost cutter but not sure he has much else. Seems to know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Shows poor judgement and timing (e.g. Giving himself a 44 pct raise while reducing severance and laying off workers). Execution of outcomes from his strategic reviews are taking for ever and all his transactions e.g. King, biocon etc have not generated value and caused a lot of pain. He also does not seem to have a good moral compass and thinks that he can cut whatever he wants and say things like do less with less...as long as he sends out a CYA memo afterwards saying that "but we must always be compliant and not put patient safety at risk".....surely an accountant realizes that these things are not free and one wonders whether these cuts will produce the same quality issues that have dogged J and J in the next 3 years or so.

Between McKinnell, Kindler and this guy it is possible that the BoD has hit the trifecta!

You forgot the all time classic: Find a way to lead.

I'm still looking.

The real leadership issue here is that the company has been taken over by colleagues from ex-US markets or from outside the indutry. This occured during the Kindler epoch under the misguided thinking that the largely US-sourced executives that took Pfizer from obscurity in the 1980's to the pinnacle of success lacked loyalty to JK. Brandt, Katen, Evans, Shedlarz and many others were shown the door, despite their exceptional talent (I am excluding Hank McKinnell here). The foreigners and industry neophytes don't really understand the US or Pfizer and its history. Thus you get what we've had for the past 5 years. They now have nothing left but clever phrases. The funny thing is that a lot of Pfizer colleagues actually now think Pfizer is doing better now and that $22 is a good stock price.

As I read about the loss of good leadership, I realize that Pfizer is run like a Politburo in the old Soviet Union. Any dissention is not constructive, and the peons will believe what we tell them because we said so, and that's good enough for peons. Too bad we can gather info for ourselves, and can see that we are on the same self destructive path taken by corporate raiders in the 80's and 90's. Remember seeing companies drive up their stock price with "downsizing", only to find they'd destroyed there own ability to actually produce (Scott Paper)?

The real leadership issue here is that the company has been taken over by colleagues from ex-US markets or from outside the indutry. This occured during the Kindler epoch under the misguided thinking that the largely US-sourced executives that took Pfizer from obscurity in the 1980's to the pinnacle of success lacked loyalty to JK. Brandt, Katen, Evans, Shedlarz and many others were shown the door, despite their exceptional talent (I am excluding Hank McKinnell here). The foreigners and industry neophytes don't really understand the US or Pfizer and its history. Thus you get what we've had for the past 5 years. They now have nothing left but clever phrases. The funny thing is that a lot of Pfizer colleagues actually now think Pfizer is doing better now and that $22 is a good stock price.

It is not like Read was successful in Europe. Remember ACE aka aligning around customers in Europe...believe Read as EuCan chief was the architect of that and it is not like the European business is doing any better. But obviously Read escaped any accountability for that because Kindler fired everyone else and Read became President of WPO. Him, OB and others have never been held to account for past performance because before the results are known, these locusts have moved on. Now ofcourse they use "macroeconomic headwinds" as the excuse....aren't Read and co paid the big bucks to look at the big picture too?

so, what would you do? no cash, no new meds, no growth, loss of exclusivity on major brands.
point above on target
but whats the answer? what would you do to get pfizer out of this mess. cant turn back the clock.
One thing to consider is to buy a real generics company, run it independently and move EPBU into it. Currently EPBU seem to be playing in the peri LOE space but can't compete beyond that. Also EPBU transfers a lot of hidden costs to the rest of the business. Miles While at Abbott timed their generics deal well...and even Daiichi is starting to rebound after their Ranbaxy fiasco. But then Read is no Miles White when it comes to strategy. Price of generic companies have gone up and in many countries they are putting restrictions on foreign ownership.