• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Indictments!Imprisionment Ethicon Reps

Yes. There were several Ethicon Reps in South Florida who were also involved in this scam. One of the Ethicon reps were caught and they discovered he had over $3Million in product in his apartment! He went to prison, the rest of the Ethicon reps bolted before they had a chance to be indicted.

I can't believe nobody will comment on this shit! We all walk around with our heads in the sand like it never happened.

I guess that explains why there has been a Staplegate I, II, III, IV......

Sack up people, lets hear your opinion.

Here's an oldie but a goodie from the suture side!

Convictions for Selling Stolen Devices
OCI Undercover Investigation Discloses Stolen Medical Devices
OCI’s Chicago Field Office initiated this investigation of Bruce Newby as a result of information obtained from another case investigated by the New York Field Office of OCI. During the investigation it became known that Newby was involved in the redistribution/reselling of stolen/diverted medical devices. Newby was interested in obtaining stolen/diverted medical devices in order to resell/redistribute to foreign locations for profit.

After OCI’s execution of a search warrant at Newby’s residence, Newby agreed to provide cooperation and assistance in the investigation. As part of his assistance, Newby met with Christopher Lyon and Terrance O’Connor, both ex-Ethicon salesmen. Newby purchased restricted medical devices from both co-conspirators.

On November 01, 2001, Newby was convicted of 18 U.S.C. § 371- Conspiracy; and Title 26 § U.S.C. 70(1)-Filing False Tax Return.

On December 7, 2001, Lyon, accompanied by his attorneys, provided a proffer. Lyon collaborated with Newby in the dealing of stolen medical devices.

The source for the stolen devices was John Goodwin. Lyon also acquired products from conventions he had attended while still employed with Ethicon. After the convention was over, the attending salesman would just “split and divide” the entire product on hand. Lyon also acquired products by removing them from hospitals at their direction and “sometimes forgetting” to credit the hospitals for the removed product. Lyon maintained that, aside from product he had accumulated himself as an Ethicon salesman, Goodwin was his only outside source of product.

On February 12, 2002, OCI obtained a copy of an inventory list that was faxed by Goodwin showing products that Goodwin was going to sell. The value of the products that Goodwin intended to sell to Lyon was approximately $199, 974.00. On the same date, OCI seized the $2,000.00 and executed a search warrant on a storage unit which contained 24 boxes of miscellaneous medical devices. In total, 31 boxes of miscellaneous medical devices were seized.

On May 9, 2002, Newby was sentenced to 180 days of home confinement, 2 years of probation, 200 hours of community service, and ordered to file and pay amended tax returns and penalties (approximately $80,000.00).

On June 10, 2002, Lyon was convicted of violating 18 U.S.C. § 371 - Conspiracy to Violate 21 U.S.C. §§ 331 and 333(a)(2) - Introduction into Interstate Commerce of Misbranded Medical Devices with the Intent to Defraud or Mislead.

On June 10, 2002, O’Connor, the ex-Ethicon salesman and associate of Newby, admitted to completing one transaction with Newby in which O’Connor received approximately $19,500.00. Subsequently, O’Connor executed a pre-trial agreement. As per the agreement, O’Connor would serve 1 year of supervised probation and would re-pay Ethicon the $19,500.00.

On November 12, 2002, Goodwin was convicted of violating 18 U.S.C. § 371 –Conspiracy; 18 U.S.C. § 2314 - Interstate Transportation of Stolen Property, and 21 U.S.C. §§ 331 and 333(a)(2) - Introduction into Interstate Commerce of Misbranded Medical Devices with the Intent to Defraud or Mislead.

On March 13, 2003, Goodwin was sentenced to 18 months incarceration in a federal prison, 24 months of supervised release after his prison term, and ordered to pay $175,000.00 in restitution to Henry Ford Health Care.

On April 22, 2003, Lyon was sentenced to serve 24 months of probation, and ordered to pay $300,000.00 in restitution ($100,000.00 to Ethicon and $200,000.00 to Henry Ford Health Care).

"What about the incident in Las Vegas a couple years back...or the Minnesota guy that got sent to the slammer for 6 months last year..let's hear those stories"

I don't know anything about this, but was looking at the job posting and their is a Minnesota position posted. I was interested in it. Are there a lot of unscrupulous people working for this division?

Are there a lot of unscrupulous people working for this division?

Did you read the Department of Justice Press Releases? That should be a hint...

Either they hire some really shady people or the company has such unrealistic expectations that people are forced to make bad decisions.

I would guess it's the latter.

Wow, this is old news. Doesn't have anything to do with company sales expectations but comes down to genuine greed by reps who thought they could beat the system. Look across all lines of md&d and you will find examples of people who are dishonest, it's the nature of the beast. Sooner or later some get caught but others skate.

Wow, this is old news. Doesn't have anything to do with company sales expectations but comes down to genuine greed by reps who thought they could beat the system. Look across all lines of md&d and you will find examples of people who are dishonest, it's the nature of the beast. Sooner or later some get caught but others skate.

I call bullshit! It is absolutely related to co. expectations & policy.

1. The company pays on growth only so your income hits the toilet if you lose even a small amount of business.

2. EES had / has a policy of limiting expenses to 500 / mo. this included cell, parking, tolls. This left almost nothing for customer business entertainment. Maybe enough for a dinner for two per month at a crappy placr like the Olive Garden.

3. Competition, especially small, non-AdvaMed reps exploited this ability to show the customers "some love and attention".

So if you didn't want #3 to happen and cause #1 but you were limited by #2 the money came out of pocket.

I'm sorry but the average year for even the 75th percentile of rep at EES doesn't make enough to be paying company expenses out of pocket.

This is where I'm sure a lot of these reps got the feeling of entitlement to do what they did. Yes, some got greedy and abused it. How many times I asked where to send competitive overstock after a conversion and told to destroy/trash it.

Hmm, let's see trash it or sell it? The company doesn't want it back, the hospital wants it out so I guess it's up to me.

Much to my eventual benefit, I grew up with a very strong focus on morals and avoiding even the appearance of unethical behavior, so I trashed it and probably saved myself from the abyss. But I will tell you that it was not an easy decision at the time. Before the conversion I had been having such a crappy year that I had to take out a home equity line just to pay my bills.

I think that Ethicon and EES both had a good share of the responsibility in that they kept a blind eye until confronted by the DOJ. Then they threw their people right under the bus. This was not the first time, before this there was "staplegate I" and "staplegate II". If they really wanted to stop it they could.

Question to 10/24, 9:28 poster: what are your recommendations to make it less tempting to offload conversion product? One note: you are wrong about the $500/month in expenses as I know for a fact of a rep getting nearly $700/month in expense reimbursement.

Yeah for the rep who fought and won! I only hope that the rest of the country will see the "truth" in all of what has gone on! J&J is NOT a family company. They throw their reps under the bus because they won't take responsibility. For those who respond negatively about the reps, you obviously are drinking the J&J koolaide...don't worry, it's only a matter of time before you enjoy the "benefits" of working for a company that tells you to do one thing and turns their back on you!

I was just wondering if anyone knows anymore details about the rep from New Orleans who was found guilty, Barbara Lash. The earlier post said she had help with employees within the hospitals she was calling on. Were any of those people busted?

What all of you experts with your opinions don't know idea what is was like for family members of these reps sent to prison and how their life was effected by this. You can all have your opinions, that's you God given right but think about the family members too. These are our family members who made terrible mistakes and owned up to it and they will continue to own up to it for the rest of their lives so give it a rest.