• Fri news: New Novo obesity prospect linked to psychiatric side effects. Summit beats Keytruda in NSCLC. DermaSensor skin cancer detection device. Astellas digital health product. Sanofi MS data. See more on our front page

How long is the washout time for those looking to start a new career?

Anonymous

On a contract right now, that is going to end shortly.

Anyway, I am ready to move on, into a new industry, and my question:

How long does it take to re program my mind, and forget this BJ known as pharmaceutical sales?

did this for over 10 years, and I feel like such a fool for putting up with all the corporate sales pitches, managers with no heart, and doctors that think they are important and think that they actually are helping people, when all most of them care about is making money.

Thanks!

<

On a contract right now, that is going to end shortly.

Anyway, I am ready to move on, into a new industry, and my question:

How long does it take to re program my mind, and forget this BJ known as pharmaceutical sales?

did this for over 10 years, and I feel like such a fool for putting up with all the corporate sales pitches, managers with no heart, and doctors that think they are important and think that they actually are helping people, when all most of them care about is making money.

Thanks!

Feel lucky that you only wasted 10...I wasted 24...now I am toast...no one will hire me...

all the good money I saved up is going to get used up before I am ever 60...because I can't get re-hired and will not get near the pharma industry...

Feel lucky that you only wasted 10...I wasted 24...now I am toast...no one will hire me...

all the good money I saved up is going to get used up before I am ever 60...because I can't get re-hired and will not get near the pharma industry...

Thanks for your reply.

I am in my 30s, so I am young enough to start over, selling in another industry.

Your words come at a good time, because I am not going to touch pharma sales with a ten foot pole. Sure, the job is easy and I can do well in it, blind folded...

but, as you suggest, eventually I will be toast.

What is "funny", is that when I started in my early 20s, this was the industry that everyone respected and looked up.

Now, ten years plus later, we are disrespected. I think that book, Hard Sell, had a lot to do with it. As well as all the women who couldn't sell, that got into the industry (not trying to pick on women here, but men are true sales people. Women rarely are productive in a hard core selling situation).

Pharma just turned so soft over the years with all of these Playboy models taking jobs, as well as all the men who are soft and too corporate.

Thanks for your reply.

I am in my 30s, so I am young enough to start over, selling in another industry.

Your words come at a good time, because I am not going to touch pharma sales with a ten foot pole. Sure, the job is easy and I can do well in it, blind folded...

but, as you suggest, eventually I will be toast.

What is "funny", is that when I started in my early 20s, this was the industry that everyone respected and looked up.

Now, ten years plus later, we are disrespected. I think that book, Hard Sell, had a lot to do with it. As well as all the women who couldn't sell, that got into the industry (not trying to pick on women here, but men are true sales people. Women rarely are productive in a hard core selling situation).

Pharma just turned so soft over the years with all of these Playboy models taking jobs, as well as all the men who are soft and too corporate.

great post...totally agree with everything you said, except Jamie Ready's book Hard Sell really was just pure entertainment, and didn't effect the trajectory of the pharma sales job or industry...

I read the book and thought it was brilliantly funny...A savage indictment of a ridiculous job and industry that he exposed with humor...

FU PHARMA INDUSTRY!!