Honest about tenure and pay

15 yrs with merck only. 121 k base with 20 percent bonus and stock options. I wish so much I would have jumped around to other companies but family situation did not allow it with dual degree.

Now I will switch companies since kids are bigger. Just waiting to gain1 more year of exp in current role and 3 years (2 already) of exceeds expectation year end reviews.

Wow. I have close to that tenure and I am not even in that stratosphere. And I have done more than just sales at the company. What an utter joke that the pay range is that great.

So what's up with some of the big pay outs?

Why are some diamond studded golden children?

Others....mere plastic with a tin coating.

15 yrs with merck only. 121 k base with 20 percent bonus and stock options. I wish so much I would have jumped around to other companies but family situation did not allow it with dual degree.

Now I will switch companies since kids are bigger. Just waiting to gain1 more year of exp in current role and 3 years (2 already) of exceeds expectation year end reviews.

WOW-WE!!!! Big bucks and Stock Options Too!! Where have the rest of us been?

Hey, what's a dual degree? Like a double major or a BA, MBA?

WOW-WE!!!! Big bucks and Stock Options Too!! Where have the rest of us been?

Hey, what's a dual degree? Like a double major or a BA, MBA?

I meant to say dual career and not dual degrees.

My spouse and I are in two different industries It also is 2 very different degrees for both of us which means the one that makes more money in the marriage should be closer to the career hub.

Just have a plan...any kind. Learn a second language like Arabic and get a job with gov with anti terrisiosm. Get a Reg aff entry job, start working on sub teaching credentials (they make $135 per day), open a creative summer camp and get high school volunteers to work so they get service credits and your overhead is low.

Have a plan and try to do something you want...this industry is risky and not rewarding. I have another 10 years but I am not sure I can make it at merck.

Holy shit! Sales gets paid that much? 16 years in R&D and barely making 100k, with ~7% bonus each year. No wonder this company has gone to shit. The drug pushers are getting paid more than the ones discovering. Makes sense why so many talented scientists are starting to go into sales.

Holy shit! Sales gets paid that much? 16 years in R&D and barely making 100k, with ~7% bonus each year. No wonder this company has gone to shit. The drug pushers are getting paid more than the ones discovering. Makes sense why so many talented scientists are starting to go into sales.

? it's always has been that way not only here but in most companies. A chemical operator with OT makes more than R&D. Sad but true. Look at our yearly budgets. Marketing makes the most money, followed by sales, followed by finance. Even the people checking the quality of the drugs before they go out make less. You would think that's the most important job.

Merck's lack of transparency is astonishing. In most companies job grades are published, along with their salary ranges and midpoints. Most companies hire close to the midpoint with the goal being to keep everyone in a range within ~10% above and below that number. It ensures pay equity among those doing the same job.

Knowing different ranges and bands for different jobs helps people plan a career with a company. What position is a lateral? Where is a promotion? Oh, I forgot, Merck isn't looking to retain people and capitalize on what they may have learned in different areas of the business. Silly me.

Bands are broad and don't help a lot. Does a 50k band difference tell you anything.
You make 90k and goes up to 140k. That doesn't mean much to me.
Great discussion and sharing.

Bands are broad and don't help a lot. Does a 50k band difference tell you anything.
You make 90k and goes up to 140k. That doesn't mean much to me.
Great discussion and sharing.

Wow! Does that mean a jump from rep to manager bags you a quick 50K bump up?

How about the jump from the s1 to the esteemed LER? What's the fast calculation? Bonus skyrockets too!

I don't believe you.....in 1999 a post doc coming out of Ivy League New England in molecular biology stated out at 65k as a scientist in a small co.....have to believe that in 2014 the scientist is making well over 130 k.

came from another pharma with 7 years experience, 16 here at mother

currently MAE base 138, bonus target 48,500 bonus has ranged from 38-62 over the past 5 years, averaging about 55.

I am middle range for account manager in salary

I don't believe you.....in 1999 a post doc coming out of Ivy League New England in molecular biology stated out at 65k as a scientist in a small co.....have to believe that in 2014 the scientist is making well over 130 k.

Scientists are more likely to be laid off than reps. They outsource research these days. Many postdocs make under $40,000 a year.

R u kidding. This person is even lucky they have a job still. R&D are the suckers of pharma. A regular lab rat is lucky to be making anything close to 100k. Maybe that's why there's no new drugs coming out. Demoralized hearing of reps making close to 200k with all the perks and easy life of a rep.

Unfortunately it will come back to bite all of us soon. Demoralized scientist equals less productivity = less drugs = less sales force.