Have You Notice All The Old Farts Love Contract, The Young And Ambitious Hate It.

...have no marketable skill set that transfers to another industry. Pharma sales isnt even sales, its marketing what someone tild you to market, so cant even get a marketing job. Only insurance companies want me. I have probably 30 more earning years in my life an need to wake up and move on from pharma but it's allowed me to develop such a bad work ethic I'm not ready to go 9-5.

You are so right! I have become so lazy that even our sales meetings wear me out! You mean I have to work 8-5? So true! I have found in the last 15 years that it doesn't seem to matter how hard or how long I work. My territories on various contracts have performed well because of Tricare (if we are on formulary) and I have busted my a$$ on some years without much difference in ranking. I have almost always been in the top 10%. Either way I ge the same evaluation at the end of the year. I stay on for benefits and base salary, bonus is extra, and I freelance in what I love on the side.

All the old farts I work with on my contract work at the most one hour a day. They love these worthless jobs because they can do nothing! For the rest of us that want to make a real living and get ahead we realize these are complete career suicide! I cannot imagine being over 40 and a fucking contract rep. Better yet over 40 and defending it like it is a real job.

You proably don't work anyway you _SS.

The old farts like the contract biz because they can avoid all of the kiss a$$ politics that are involved with working for the manufacturers. The greater the distance between you and the manufacturers RM's, the better!

We have tasted the cool aid and decided that the smell of roses is better.

Contract sales has gotten just a bad as big pharma. Maybe from the influence big pahrma exerts on the contract, but more likely from the same factors that affect big pahrma: politics, greed, status, power (at least the appearance of power due to position).

Contract sales has gotten just a bad as big pharma. Maybe from the influence big pahrma exerts on the contract, but more likely from the same factors that affect big pahrma: politics, greed, status, power (at least the appearance of power due to position).

Appearance of power and contract all in one sentence? Fly away Eagle!!!!!

When you are 50 years old and no one will hire you your options are very limited. That is why there are so many grays doing contract. They never advanced and got the ax. Now they are left with no one willing to hire the ordinary ones so they all take a worthless contract job and have to defend it like it is a real career. Luckily I am only 26 and doing this while finishing Grad school then see ya! I feel bad for all the old contracts I work with they have no where to go and have ruined their options of ever having a real career in this industry again.

..."real career in this industry" ?! LOL. That's an oxymoron. The people that come on here and bash "contract reps" do so only to feel better about themselves and their own place in this world. If they were happy and confident in their own positions, then why bother? It's too bad these posts are anonymous, because everyone could laugh at you when you find yourself in the exact same position (big pharma, then contract rep for big pharma). You'll find there's actually NO DIFFERENCE. I've done it all and have already discovered that fact. And right now I'm just happy to be working everyday, earning a paycheck, while I figure out what I want to do OUTSIDE of this industry.

We already made a lot of money. House paid for. Kids out of college with no loans. Vacation home south at the lake. Boat paid for. Why are you on here anyway. Go put that ambition in motion. Oh forgot you are here because you are a loser and it makes you feel better to bash people. But when you go home to your apartment and sit there in the dark by yourself, you know the truth, you are a fn loser.

That is so funny. And I know some of you so I know its true.

..."real career in this industry" ?! LOL. That's an oxymoron. The people that come on here and bash "contract reps" do so only to feel better about themselves and their own place in this world. If they were happy and confident in their own positions, then why bother? It's too bad these posts are anonymous, because everyone could laugh at you when you find yourself in the exact same position (big pharma, then contract rep for big pharma). You'll find there's actually NO DIFFERENCE. I've done it all and have already discovered that fact. And right now I'm just happy to be working everyday, earning a paycheck, while I figure out what I want to do OUTSIDE of this industry.

You are happy making nothing practically? Funny you have to post how happy you are. I call BS.

You are happy making nothing practically? Funny you have to post how happy you are. I call BS.

"Practically nothing" is a relative term when your mortgage is paid off, your kids are gone, and you are slurping up some supplemental income prior to retirement and pension from another company. It is the height of hubris to think that a 55 yr old and a 28 yr old are in the same life situation, and have the same goals.

Every dime that I make pays the utilities (except for my cell, which is paid for now) and our food; which leaves enough left over to keep packing away coin in IRAs and precious metals.

Please continue to denigrate all you wish. Makes no difference to me. I worked in this industry when you could actually make some money, and was relatively wise with what I made. I just want to check the box and pad my mattress at this point.

But please continue with the bravado and vitriol about our "motivation" or "drive." I could give a shit less.

I am 52 working as a contract rep for the past 2 years. I am independently wealthy, have no bills and paid my mortgage off when I was 24 1/2. I dont need much money like everyone else working contract. We would not accept it if you offered it to us. We like making 50k less then the real reps make. My kids graduated from Harvard, all paid for. I have 2 luxury vehicles I drive on the weekend (paid for) and just do this temporary job for fun and to meet other independently wealthy people like myself. I have never met so many people in one line of work (temporary contract) that are so rich! This rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, Are you still sleeping. Wake-up!! Wake-up!! You are so full of BS!! If you are so wealthy and everything you have is paid off, why are you working and not living off the interest from your millions since you are so rich! Get a life!!!

I didn't mind being laid off after 21 years in Pharma, as I'd had enough. Full pension, no mortgage & 10 rental properties that have long been paid for. I did what most young people today fail to do: I PLANNED. If I need to shed a property for income, I have the luxury of doing that; otherwise, that extra $8000/month rental income (after taxes & insurance) fits nicely toward giving my kids a financial push for their futures. I have everything I need at this point because of adequate planning.

Feel free to call me 'old fart'... I'm one rich old fart! And if you're of the mindset that Pharma is going to be a good career choice for you over the coming years, I'd have to believe you're delusional - and should seek career and psychiatric counseling.

I didn't mind being laid off after 21 years in Pharma, as I'd had enough. Full pension, no mortgage & 10 rental properties that have long been paid for. I did what most young people today fail to do: I PLANNED. If I need to shed a property for income, I have the luxury of doing that; otherwise, that extra $8000/month rental income (after taxes & insurance) fits nicely toward giving my kids a financial push for their futures. I have everything I need at this point because of adequate planning.

Feel free to call me 'old fart'... I'm one rich old fart! And if you're of the mindset that Pharma is going to be a good career choice for you over the coming years, I'd have to believe you're delusional - and should seek career and psychiatric counseling.

And you are a contract rep WHY? Because you are so rich and don't need to work? There is medication out there for you! Go clean your dentures gramps.

To the above post that has ten rental properties, blah blah blah blah, if you have been laid off from pharma after 21 years and as you say had eough, WHY ARE YOU ON CAFE PHARMA???????