Good Luck to all---I'm out!

The OP is spot on in so many ways! And to the poster who said the frog is a better analogy, wrong. The frog is clueless, while Merck reps are miserable. Like a ship going down, they just feel like there's no way out.

To the OP and others who have gotten out, welcome back to living life. If you've forgotten what it's like to wake up every day not knowing if that knife in your back came from a counterpart or your manager, if you've forgotten what it's like to not smile at ungrateful docs and office workers because you paid for the wrong food, if you've forgotten what it's like to be proud to know you're not a shill, if you've forgotten what it's like to work in a healthy atmosphere, it won't take you long to adjust!

For all those bagging on the OP, you are the turtles. Your ignorance is funny now, but it will be tragic when you get yours.

so glad to out on std, sad way to go, but life is so much better! I am no longer:

stressed..do i have a job or not
being stabbed in the back by manager,partners, ....?
working ridiculous hours... useless paperwork, reports, meetings, teleconferences, 1.5 long expense reports.................
worrying when the axe will fall on sales force
shunned by doctors writing generics
depressed
miserable
MICROMANAGED by a power driven back stabbing manager
working for less money
wasting my time with this dead end jobb
infected with Merck Cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am waiting to find out when layoffs will be...anyone care give up that information?
Don't be afraid...you too will be included in this layoff process! Merck is LOYAL to NO ONE!

There are a lot sinking-ship analogies on this blog site but this metaphor is not quite correct. A ship sinks too fast and too obviously. A better analogy is that of starting a live frog out in a cooking pot filled with cold water and then slowly applying heat and raising the water temperature to its boiling point, thereby obviously killing and cooking the frog. At no single point does the frog appear to be so discomforted that it would leap from the ever-hotter water. We could very well be that inappropriately comfortable frog. So many people are headed to the same fate as monsieur frog, but at any instant the environment never seems hazardous enough to risk a leap to safety. Boiling water in the case of the frog or excessive water in the sinking ship metaphor, the results are as certain and identical. We pity the Titanic passengers as victims but consider the frog to be a galactically stupid collaborator in its own demise.

Aperfect analogy.

This morning a nurse recognized me from before and asked me how is it being retired?

I told her:
I actually can read a book in its entirety
I get to do things I never was able to before.
I only have to buy one pairs of dress shoes a year to wear on Sundays for church.
I have not bought a new suit for a few years now.
No more dry cleaning bills.
I missed those fancy restaurants for a few months and then no more.

What I did not tell her:
I am more sane now.
I don't crawl out of bed on a Saturday morning and log in to see if sales suck or not based on voodoo projected sales data which my manager saw as the gospel.
I don't have to deal with "office politics" with counterparts and all those others with fancy titles roaming around in my territory.
I don't have to wait for sample deliveries and haul them back and forth between the car and storage.
I don't have to tolerate retentive manager riding with me, demonstrating how to sell, pissing off all the key customers, then have to go back and clean up the mess.
I don't have to sit in the car and verbally describe the background of a customer, his/her bathroom habits, past trends, objectives, etc. to a manager.
I am smiling while typing this, sipping coffee, knowing my former manager is hustling right now and will not likely to retire with the same amount of lump sum as I did. He/she is starting another day interrogating a rep at a coffee shop, or driving down the highway hurrying to meet a rep, or sitting in a meeting with whoever about how to make this new selling model shines.

Peace.

I've been on every one of them with no significant improvement relative to the AE's they all have, so I gave up. The AE's made me feel worse than I did before treatment. The psychotropics leave much to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

This morning a nurse recognized me from before and asked me how is it being retired?

I told her:
I actually can read a book in its entirety
I get to do things I never was able to before.
I only have to buy one pairs of dress shoes a year to wear on Sundays for church.
I have not bought a new suit for a few years now.
No more dry cleaning bills.
I missed those fancy restaurants for a few months and then no more.

What I did not tell her:
I am more sane now.
I don't crawl out of bed on a Saturday morning and log in to see if sales suck or not based on voodoo projected sales data which my manager saw as the gospel.
I don't have to deal with "office politics" with counterparts and all those others with fancy titles roaming around in my territory.
I don't have to wait for sample deliveries and haul them back and forth between the car and storage.
I don't have to tolerate retentive manager riding with me, demonstrating how to sell, pissing off all the key customers, then have to go back and clean up the mess.
I don't have to sit in the car and verbally describe the background of a customer, his/her bathroom habits, past trends, objectives, etc. to a manager.
I am smiling while typing this, sipping coffee, knowing my former manager is hustling right now and will not likely to retire with the same amount of lump sum as I did. He/she is starting another day interrogating a rep at a coffee shop, or driving down the highway hurrying to meet a rep, or sitting in a meeting with whoever about how to make this new selling model shines.

Peace.

Life is so good out of Merck! I now wear jeans to my new job!!! Took all my suits/dress clothes to consignment and sold them!
Had to start from the bottom learning a new industry, but it beats catering lunches to ungrateful staff anyday!
The best part is actually working with REAL people- not backstabbing counterparts or stupid puppet managers that are afraid of upper mgmt!

To whoever doesn't believe what the OP said, think again. I am yet ANOTHER one with a frighteningly similar story. Did very well for many years (15 total). Consistent performer, great reviews, promotions, awards, big bonuses (& big salary = bullseye), blah blah blah. Then - new manager. Younger. Ass-kisser. Female. Somehow, I became targeted for PIP. Somehow I seemed to go from experienced and knowledgeable to clueless, not knowing how to sell "properly" (although my numbers were still great -- no joke). Over the course of about one year, I was pushed and pushed with the obvious intent of being pushed out the door. I am female and was 43 at the time. She micromanaged to death and I actually ended up on anxiety meds for the first time in my life. How the hell did that happen? I wondered. My perfect health (avid exerciser) began to suffer; panic attacks out of nowhere (and I am a mentally, emotionally, and physically strong individual). wtf.
She wanted brown-nosers like herself, and that was not me. I spoke my mind.
Long story condensed: I was pushed out. Happy for it however. Literally felt better that very day and never had another panic attack. I became an adult again, thank God.
My body was obviously telling me that something wasn't right in my life anymore, and the wrong thing was this person trying to make me feel less than what I really was.
My advice to anyone feeling "wrong" in this job? It IS wrong then. If you continue to accept the poison, it will eventually kill you (no drama intended).
Don't believe this won't happen to you. Unless you are a full-blown, suck-up robot, this CAN happen to you as well. Don't bash the OP. He is spot on.
Just know that when it happens, however, you will be in a far better place b/c of it.
Good luck, and peace.

To whoever doesn't believe what the OP said, think again. I am yet ANOTHER one with a frighteningly similar story. Did very well for many years (15 total). Consistent performer, great reviews, promotions, awards, big bonuses (& big salary = bullseye), blah blah blah. Then - new manager. Younger. Ass-kisser. Female. Somehow, I became targeted for PIP. Somehow I seemed to go from experienced and knowledgeable to clueless, not knowing how to sell "properly" (although my numbers were still great -- no joke). Over the course of about one year, I was pushed and pushed with the obvious intent of being pushed out the door. I am female and was 43 at the time. She micromanaged to death and I actually ended up on anxiety meds for the first time in my life. How the hell did that happen? I wondered. My perfect health (avid exerciser) began to suffer; panic attacks out of nowhere (and I am a mentally, emotionally, and physically strong individual). wtf.
Long story condensed: I was pushed out. Happy for it however. Literally felt better that very day and never had another panic attack. I became an adult again, thank God.
My body was obviously telling me that something wasn't right in my life anymore, and the wrong thing was this person trying to make me feel less than what I really was.
My advice to anyone feeling "wrong" in this job? It IS wrong then. If you continue to accept the poison, it will eventually kill you (no drama intended).
Don't believe this won't happen to you. Unless you are a full-blown, suck-up robot, this CAN happen to you as well. Don't bash the OP. He is spot on.
Just know that when it happens, however, you will be in a far better place b/c of it.
Good luck, and peace.

It is truly amazing how many folks with tenure have this same exact story! It is so obvious what Merck is doing. Happened to me too- Got a young new manager with a point to prove and micromanaging was his way of doing- I had the best numbers in the entire district and he singled me out to be his target. Plus, I was really out there working every single day! (Should have stayed home more-now that I look back) It made absolutely zero sense.
Definitely never speak up for what is right! That will for sure land a target on your back!
Gosh, I count my blessings everyday to be out and free of the BS! I actually feel like a real human being again!

It is truly amazing how many folks with tenure have this same exact story! It is so obvious what Merck is doing. Happened to me too- Got a young new manager with a point to prove and micromanaging was his way of doing- I had the best numbers in the entire district and he singled me out to be his target. Plus, I was really out there working every single day! (Should have stayed home more-now that I look back) It made absolutely zero sense.
Definitely never speak up for what is right! That will for sure land a target on your back!
Gosh, I count my blessings everyday to be out and free of the BS! I actually feel like a real human being again!

THE SAME EXACT SITUATION HAPPENED TO ME! COINCIDENCE?? NOT HARDLY! EVERY DAY I THANK GOD FOR BEING AWAY FROM THE MERCK MADNESS! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN! EASY TO FIND A JOB WHILE YOU HAVE ONE! USE "MERCK TIME" TO LOOK! MERCK HAS NO PROBLEM USING "YOUR TIME" TO KEEP YOU CHAINED TO THEIR COMPUTER DOING USELESS REPORTS,TELECONFERENCES, POLICY LETTERS...ETC. TIME THAT SHOULD BE SPENT WITH YOUR FAMILY INSTEAD OF LOCKED IN YOUR OFFICE LATE AT NIGHT!!! JUST REMEMBER, IN THE END, YOU STILL WILL GET WALKING PAPERS, SO WHY PROLONG THE MISERY~!

There was a secret meeting. Managers were kindly informed to go after their tenured reps and squeeze more out of them, push them out, start using PIPs or they themselves would lose their jobs. The managers return to their homes and proceeded to carry out this secret mission. Nothing is recorded. But it is obvious there is a pattern. Some have done it well. Some probably not. Some are probably being sued right now.

As all the posts here have illustrate a point. Do not allow a manager to destroy you as a person. They have no rights to micromanage and demoralize you to the point that you have to go on meds or seek professional help. I wonder if there are Merck reps out there that are permanently maimed or any attempted suicide. There is life after Merck. A very good life.

There was a secret meeting. Managers were kindly informed to go after their tenured reps and squeeze more out of them, push them out, start using PIPs or they themselves would lose their jobs. The managers return to their homes and proceeded to carry out this secret mission. Nothing is recorded. But it is obvious there is a pattern. Some have done it well. Some probably not. Some are probably being sued right now.

As all the posts here have illustrate a point. Do not allow a manager to destroy you as a person. They have no rights to micromanage and demoralize you to the point that you have to go on meds or seek professional help. I wonder if there are Merck reps out there that are permanently maimed or any attempted suicide. There is life after Merck. A very good life.

Yes, its a conspiracy against all perfect middle aged white males at Merck! We're on to you now and are secretly going after all of you one by one. Soon, very soon, this company will be completely taken over by women and gasp! minorities! Everyone's against you! They're coming to get you! Run to your suburban homes and hide! No wait! Surprise! Women and minorities are your neighbors now! OMG!!!! Quit now before its too late!

Good luck, and peace.

Sad story. Believe it can happen to anyone. Glad you are free of her but sorry you may have lost your job and faced financial harm too. She is the one who should have lost her job...and been fired! Where was HR...this should never happen to anyone. I thought we prided ourselves on functioning with the highlest level of ethics and integrity?

Yes, its a conspiracy against all perfect middle aged white males at Merck! We're on to you now and are secretly going after all of you one by one. Soon, very soon, this company will be completely taken over by women and gasp! minorities! Everyone's against you! They're coming to get you! Run to your suburban homes and hide! No wait! Surprise! Women and minorities are your neighbors now! OMG!!!! Quit now before its too late!

Open your eyes, you fool. The OP and the others are identifying the obvious, even though it's not politically correct to do so. You are probably one of the ostriches who also maintain that whites score better on the SAT because of some test bias against blacks, ignoring the fact that Asians score best of all. And blacks dominate professional athletics because they "work harder", ignoring the fact that they "work harder" from the moment they started to walk.

Accept the obvious for the truth it is. Stop making excuses to hide reality. Some things things aren't right or wrong, like blacks being able to run faster and jump higher. Some things are wrong, like faltering companies instituting policies based on race or tenure to try to preserve the bottom line, denying the obvious all the while.

I stand with the OP, as does anyone with any degree of honesty and/or awareness. You can pull your head out of the sand now.

Tenured with many years and age is not the end, might be new beginning. If you get a long severance and have your pension 15 year or more you have the world open to you. A new start with new opportunities. If you dont have the years for either a good severance or good pension means a major scew job if you are older...but shed no tears mother does not care. She just will wave bye bye.

If it was a secret, it's the worst kept secret on the planet.

The managers are clearly pushed to destroy the rep's self esteem. They let it be known that the rep is on the "hit list", which then segregates that rep from the others, who don't want to be associated with anyone the manager is against. The process follows a path to the point where the rep, who is probably readily employable, decides it's time to leave. That's what happened to me. And yes, I also got screwed out of my (11 months of) bonus money. Coincidentally, I'm a 43-year-old white guy and Merck Hall of Famer. I did, however, land in a position that I could have only dreamed of as a manager with a startup biotech company. Thank you, Merck. Couldn't have done it without you. I'm no longer a miserable sample monkey who is treated like a 5-year-old. Trust me, your life will improve after Merck is out of it.

Silly for you to think only tenured middle-aged white male reps are targeted. One of the earliest casualties was a rep of Hispanic origin. Later on, blacks, Asians, white and all colors were PIP'ed to death. Merck is an equal opportunity employer. :)

If it was a secret, it's the worst kept secret on the planet.

The managers are clearly pushed to destroy the rep's self esteem. They let it be known that the rep is on the "hit list", which then segregates that rep from the others, who don't want to be associated with anyone the manager is against. The process follows a path to the point where the rep, who is probably readily employable, decides it's time to leave. That's what happened to me. And yes, I also got screwed out of my (11 months of) bonus money. Coincidentally, I'm a 43-year-old white guy and Merck Hall of Famer. I did, however, land in a position that I could have only dreamed of as a manager with a startup biotech company. Thank you, Merck. Couldn't have done it without you. I'm no longer a miserable sample monkey who is treated like a 5-year-old. Trust me, your life will improve after Merck is out of it.

I was joking about the secret meeting part. It would be almost impossible for a lawyer to discover if there was a meeting, official or over dinner, ever occurred. But we can be sure there is a playbook where each manager follows closely in executing a PIP to drive a person out. A few former reps have compared notes and their PIP field trip reports look like they came from the same template with words (name of rep, date of visit, specific observation) modified. When the methodology and verbiage are so similar across the country among different managers, what is the p value that it is not coincidence?