Glossary of Hostile Takeover Terms with Discussion

This is also in reference to the anonymous #171 commenter beginning with "^^^Dan's wife..."

1.) Since women begin their educational and professional careers with their birth name, it doesn't make sense to drop that name, which has become attached to their personal achievements. It makes it more difficult to follow a person through search engines, if there has been, at some point, a name change as well.

2.) In Quebec, everyone (EVERYONE) must keep the name they had at birth. There is no provision for changing a last name for reasons of marriage. And Michael Pearson, being the CEO of Valeant International with "headquarters" located in Laval, Quebec, should normally be aware of this legality, but since he lives and works from New Jersey on a full-time basis, and Valeant International Headquarters in Canada is just a shell corporation for tax reasons, he and his employees may not be fully aware of this law.

It may be stock buyback but I believe that is considered soft power? I am not sure what would be left as a hard power maneuver as an acquistion would seem like Allergan's only hard power left on the table.

Restructuring was already done..but management buyout is still on the table. Timing is everything now.

There is also the trial pending regards to the ability to vote for Ackman so I imagine all parties are waiting to proceed as soon as the judge tips his hand one way or the other.

Yes, there is a lot coming up soon: the October 20th release of Valeant's Q3 report (for which Allergan's teams of independent forensic accountants are sharpening their pencils) and the October 28 court date on the legality of Pershing Square and Valeant forming a holding company to get around the SEC reporting laws.

Allergan is hoping that Judge Carter will grant an injunction to stop Ackman from using his "illegal" 10% stake in the voting...In my opinion if Judge Carter does not address the unfair method in which Ackman amassed 10% then essentially the judge is opening a whole window for other activists to follow suit. I would imagine that would not go over well with the SEC.

The SEC will change the language and may effectively close the loophole for future transactions, but Ackman did not break any laws. Therefore, the injunction won't be granted.

Tick. Tock.

Sweet Ackman's Intern, aka "Mickey P's boy", aka "Deal will be inked by Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Guy" has resorted to Trolling Dan Boy in an effort to suppress the TRUTH, which is what Dan is bringing with the heat. Keep it coming Dan!!! You're clearly onto something.

I work here and think the deal will happen, Pyott makes me sick!

Will judge Carter knowingly go against what the SEC will disapprove of? He has a lot of weight in the future of similar trials that will come up depending on how his ruling goes.

Dan,

is there anything in the CRX vs. Children's Investment Fund Management/3G ruling from the US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, decided 18 July, 2011 about "the two hedge funds (Children's Investment Fund and 3G Capital) that entered into cash-settled total-return equity swap agreements referencing shares of CSX. CSX later brought the action under review by the court, alleging that Children's Investment Fund and 3G had failed to comply in a timely fashion with the disclosure requirements of section 13(d) of the Williams Act, seeking injunctions barring the Funds from any future violations of section 13(d) and preventing the Funds from voting their CSX shares at the 2008 CSX annual shareholders meeting."...is there anything here that the judge in the Allergan vs. Pershing Square/Valeant case may use as guidance in allowing or not allowing use of the PS Fund shares for voting purposes at the Dec 18 shareholders meeting? Or is it a totally different animal?

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-2nd-circuit/1574479.html

• Shoham   Oct 16, 2014 at 01:41: AM
Re: The Beginning of the Endgame

Some important news today and, for a change, we are not at the center of attention.

About 3 weeks ago, in a long post where I described what I considered the beginning of the endgame, I started by observing that the anti-inversion crackdown, is for real; and that Allergan's belief that it is unsustainable proved insightful and relevant. Here is what I wrote:

MONDAY (9/22)
1 - Treasury Department Announcement: Normally, I don't put much short-term weight into announcements, however dramatically stated, by elected politicians, regulators, and high government officials -- by the time any of what they say becomes reality, if ever, current matters would have long resolved (one way or another), whatever rules they suggest would have been heavily defanged by the various status quo constituencies, and grandfather clauses and phase-in period would obliterate any remaining effects on such current matters. However, with Abbvie (who reportedly outbid Allergan to buy Shire for an inversion deal) initially dropping 5% on the news, the market shows it believes that this announcement will have immediate significant effect in taking the value proposition out of inversions.
Obviously, the Treasury Department announcement wasn't orchestrated by anyone in Allergan. As big a deal as the Allergan-Valeant battle is, the issue of inversions, and the current frenzy by proponents to get deals done and by opponents to stop them, is a much bigger matter (although it wouldn't surprise me if Allergan's plight, communicated through the array of elected officials that have publicly taken to defend Allergan, provided one of the many impetuses to get Treasury to act with uncharacteristic speed and resolve). Allergan was never a fan of inversions to begin with -- right from the first word of Valeant's offer, Allergan has been saying (apparently, quite insightfully) that inversion tax benefits are unsustainable. As the crackdown on inversion is becoming a reality, many playing pieces are moving Allergan's way: Foreign companies Allergan would be interested in buying are now less likely to be snapped up at premium pricing by inversion-seekers (as with Shire -- much as Abbvie may now regret "winning" this bid); domestic companies are less obsessed with finding an inversion themselves and thus more available to sell to Allergan for a realistic price (as with Salix, who is apparently dumping the already-signed Cosmo inversion deal to be acquired by Allergan); and, companies (foreign or domestic) that would consider bidding against Valeant for Allergan (such as Actavis), are too, not distracted by the inversion obsession (such as a Pfizer inversion bid for Actavis, apparently now dormant). Since the new rules are not yet announced, we don't know if they'll specifically and directly damage the tax saving component of the Valeant-proposed merger (an important constituent of the overall value-creation Valeant is claiming the merger will achieve), but even if not, the atmosphere of a forceful inversion crack down is damaging the credibility of any sustainable tax benefit Valeant is claiming.
By correctly foreseeing -- against the overall market sentiment, and certainly Valeant's position -- that inversions tax benefits are unsustainable and will be cracked down upon sooner than most thought possible, Allergan's board placed itself in a superior negotiating position with respect to all counter-parties that obsessed themselves with inversions! (opinion)
(Note: I'm liberally using the word "inversion" to describe all corporate transactions that have the intended effect of reducing overall tax load by expatriating the tax home of a US corporation -- to include the Valeant proposed merger, Abbvie buying Shire, Salix deal to buy Cosmo, and Pfizer talks to buy Actavis).

Well, today, the other shoe dropped. AbbVie may use circumspect language saying that the are merely 'reconsidering' the Shire inversion deal; but the market is clearly interpreting these words as the end of that deal. Shire dropped $74 (30% !!!) in one day; sending it right back to where they were before the deal. (BTW, not that we ever rejoice in the losses of those who jumped to help Ackman, ok, just a little, but Paulson lost about $1B just today on this event and it's consequences).

This event is not to be underestimated. After the collapse of the borderline-hostile takeover attempt by Pfizer against Astra Zeneca, this was going to be the largest takeover of the biggest M&A year in decades. With this supposedly done-deal collapsing -- and a whole slew of smaller deals, like the Salix-Cosmo inversion, also cratering -- it is turning into a bust. All the merger-happy stocks took a huge hit, as it became clear that there might not be that many mergers after all. Allergan, at one point, was down $15 (before recovering to down $4). To be fair, it was a heavy down-day on Wall Street altogether, but the drops for the in-play pharma shares dwarfed the broad market declines.

So what does all this mean to the Valeant-Allergan deal: Basically, as stated in the quoted post, just more vigorously so. All those companies, foreign and domestic, that were obsessed with inversion, if they didn't take the news of the bursting of the bubble seriously enough 3 weeks ago; surely are doing so now. A 30% drop in one day, wiping out about $16B in market cap, will get anyone's' attention. This broaden the playing field dramatically for Allergan. Even Shire, which was rumored to be Allergan's first acquisition interest to block Valeant, is now available at, presumably, a much more realistic price (I must note here that Allergan's Board is again proven to have been remarkably disciplined when -- as desperate as they were to kill the Valeant deal -- did not overbid for Shire and allowed AbbVie to "win" the bid. Should Allergan choose to now go pick up the pieces, they could probably buy Shire for a lot less than where the bidding was then).

In addition, with the whole M&A frenzy suddenly hitting a deep freeze, hedge funds, which pride themselves with being the first to jump out of any souring situation, are heading for the exit door (as speculated by analysts, such as BMO). And, finally, Valeant's offer -- and their entire acquisition-heavy business plan -- with the strong element of tax inversion to support their value Creation claims, is losing further steam. I wouldn't be surprised if their propaganda will begin saying what a great stand-alone company they are. (To be fair, the announced anti-inversion rules thus far do not affect foreign buyers, such as Valeant; but the anti-inversion climate is a huge risk-factor to any business model that presume sustainable tax benefits).

Dan.

Dan, your bias in this thread is deepening. While your insight is appreciated, the further this thread goes the more your personal leanings reflect.

The deals that are collapsing can only help a company like valeant. They're "in before the bell" with a foreign domicile, so ultimately as these things shake out Valeant will have considerable favovability versus an American aquirer, or any new inversion ideas. Valeant UltRA low tax base can only help their accretion in any deal versus any other bidder.

Actavis and Valeant now sir in the cat bird seat in all of pharma. They're Aquisition based companies, with beautiful tax rates, that can buy American companies like Allergan and create significantly more value than most rivals.

Dan, your bias in this thread is deepening. While your insight is appreciated, the further this thread goes the more your personal leanings reflect.

The deals that are collapsing can only help a company like valeant. They're "in before the bell" with a foreign domicile, so ultimately as these things shake out Valeant will have considerable favovability versus an American aquirer, or any new inversion ideas. Valeant UltRA low tax base can only help their accretion in any deal versus any other bidder.

Actavis and Valeant now sir in the cat bird seat in all of pharma. They're Aquisition based companies, with beautiful tax rates, that can buy American companies like Allergan and create significantly more value than most rivals.

Oh, looks like Ackman's intern may have called in one of the associates. Day yum.

Nobody wants vrx

Dear Dan,

Thanks. This answers my question on the Shire thread about this possibility. DP has repeatedly stated publicly that Allergan is not focussed on inversion. Any acquisition AGN considers will be to build value, not necessarily by inversion. So their bid, which only takes value based on Shire's products, pipeline and R&D, into account, is still is a valid bid. In addition Shire gets >1B from Abbvie for walking away, which eases their pain for having to accept a lower bid. I think this is beginning to look very possible.

Now a question for Dan, if AGN indeed goes after Shire, can our dear friends MP and his cabal block it? I am guessing this deal needs shareholder approval.

To the Ackman intern,
Dan has never once claimed to be unbiased. He has claimed to be knowledgable, which he clearly is. We admire and appreciate his insights, opinions as well as speculations. In Dan's posts, he clearly delineates which of his statements are facts, opinions or speculation. This has been the most insightful source of knowledge I have come across to date on this saga, even more than 'the uncommon profit investor' on Seekingalpha. So please stop spewing your poison on this thread.

Wonder if the stock price hit Allergan is taking is due to all the hedgies having to cover their bets on Shire. If they were betting on margin calls, they would need to take profit on something else

Now a question for Dan, if AGN indeed goes after Shire, can our dear friends MP and his cabal block it? I am guessing this deal needs shareholder approval.

Another good source of information comes from Ron Barusch's "Dealpolitik" columns with the WSJ. See "Shareholders may have little influence on Allergan decision" (29 Sept 2104); "Is now the best time for Valeant to make a 'best and final' offer?" (23 Sept 2014); Allergan's musical chairs could leave Valeant without a seat" (23 Sept 2014); "Allergan fight could extend long past December meeting" (18 Sept 2014); "Did Valeant make a strategic error in its Allergan bid?" (7 Aug 2014); and "Allergan throws complex road block at Valeant, Pershing Square" (4 Aug 2014).

From the 29 Sept column, "Shareholders may have little influence...", the Barusch analysis refers to the then-floating Salix purchase rumor, but the rules still apply to Shire or any other company: "...Under Delaware corporate law, no shareholder approval is required for an acquisition, and the NY Stock Exchange rules only would require such approval if more than 20% of Allergan's shares were being issued..." and lots of interesting analysis within, be sure to read it.

Also, search out the articles in the Canadian press, mainly from the Globe and Mail and from the Financial Post (a good one is by Nicolas Van Praet, "Doubts mount about Valeant Pharmaceuticals' tax structure" from 8 Sept 2014). If the Valeant takeover of Allergan were to come through (which I hope it does not), Valeant Pharmaceuticals would become Canada's biggest company by market cap.

Oh, looks like Ackman's intern may have called in one of the associates. Day yum.

Nobody wants vrx

Actually you are very wrong that "nobody wants vrx". Quite the contrary. Look at the major shareholders that spoke out against the purchase of Salix. Look at the higher than you are worth share price that you are now enjoying. Its very clear that many people- including your own shareholders- want this.

And its becoming more and more likely that it will happen. It is shameful that your current BOD and CEO won't even sit down and discuss it. That isn't acting in the best interest of shareholders. In December if your BOD is replaced Allergan will be bought.

Time to face reality. Its to bad for the employees of Allergan that the BOD of is cheap and never gave ownership in the form of stock.

Actually you are very wrong that "nobody wants vrx". Quite the contrary. Look at the major shareholders that spoke out against the purchase of Salix. Look at the higher than you are worth share price that you are now enjoying. Its very clear that many people- including your own shareholders- want this.

And its becoming more and more likely that it will happen. It is shameful that your current BOD and CEO won't even sit down and discuss it. That isn't acting in the best interest of shareholders. In December if your BOD is replaced Allergan will be bought.

Time to face reality. Its to bad for the employees of Allergan that the BOD of is cheap and never gave ownership in the form of stock.

Correct VRX shareholders want the deal