• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Female Interviewers Disliking Female Candidates

Anonymous

Can someone explain why female interviewers often dislike the female candidates that they are interviewing?

I am female and I have experienced female interviewers not moving me forward in the interview process quite a great deal of the time after meeting me (but I almost always move forward in the interview process when I interview with a male).

In all fairness--I'm getting a little paranoid even about the whole thing because it is starting to question everything about myself. I have been told that I am attractive and slim but I certainly have a look that is different because of my ethnic background so I fear that some biases are even coming to the surface with female interviewers.

And, I know that I am not the only qualified female that experiences the more or less shunned treatment from female interviewers because I hear bs reasons for failing to move a female candidate forward such as "she was wearing too much eye makeup" or "I didn't like the top that she was wearing."

I will continue to keep a positive attitude and hopefully land the right position with the right hiring manager but I welcome any thoughts on the issue.

Can someone explain why female interviewers often dislike the female candidates that they are interviewing?

I am female and I have experienced female interviewers not moving me forward in the interview process quite a great deal of the time after meeting me (but I almost always move forward in the interview process when I interview with a male).

In all fairness--I'm getting a little paranoid even about the whole thing because it is starting to question everything about myself. I have been told that I am attractive and slim but I certainly have a look that is different because of my ethnic background so I fear that some biases are even coming to the surface with female interviewers.

And, I know that I am not the only qualified female that experiences the more or less shunned treatment from female interviewers because I hear bs reasons for failing to move a female candidate forward such as "she was wearing too much eye makeup" or "I didn't like the top that she was wearing."

I will continue to keep a positive attitude and hopefully land the right position with the right hiring manager but I welcome any thoughts on the issue.

I think you are delusional and need to find a better industry to work in.

I think you are delusional and need to find a better industry to work in.

I think that you need not comment if that is all that you are going to write.

They did a study of males and females sending resumes with and without pictures and anytime a good-looking female sent a photo...she was slotted hardly every slotted for an interview (but a good-looking man was almost slotted immediately for an interview).

Women can be very judgmental of other women and can be friendlier towards men in the interview process.

I've experienced the same thing. Women are a pain in the ass at work. Period. I never get moved forward in the interview process when there are women involved. I think women are threatened and competitive with one another. I also think women do not make good managers period. I've been working for years and have always found it easier working for men. They are more honest and you can joke with them and they don't take things personally; they focus on work not drama and petty details. Although I have interviewed with some real dickhead male managers as well.

I think that you need not comment if that is all that you are going to write.

They did a study of males and females sending resumes with and without pictures and anytime a good-looking female sent a photo...she was slotted hardly every slotted for an interview (but a good-looking man was almost slotted immediately for an interview).

Women can be very judgmental of other women and can be friendlier towards men in the interview process.

You wanted the truth and I gave it to you.

Your question is irrelevant. You only need 1 job!, for crying out loud. You make this career thing into such an important thing, and trying to figure this segment of life is a waste of time.

You wanted the truth and I gave it to you.

Your question is irrelevant. You only need 1 job!, for crying out loud. You make this career thing into such an important thing, and trying to figure this segment of life is a waste of time.

Whoa! I do need a job and would love to only work one job but six layoffs in as many years make me go through this interviewing hell over and over so I detect patterns.

And, recently, it seems like most interviewers have been female.

I've experienced the same thing. Women are a pain in the ass at work. Period. I never get moved forward in the interview process when there are women involved. I think women are threatened and competitive with one another. I also think women do not make good managers period. I've been working for years and have always found it easier working for men. They are more honest and you can joke with them and they don't take things personally; they focus on work not drama and petty details. Although I have interviewed with some real dickhead male managers as well.

I agree with everything that you wrote and thank you for writing that post.

I have seen women hired by females that are not as qualified as the other candidates going for a position but they are usually less physically threatening to the hiring manager.

Whoa! I do need a job and would love to only work one job but six layoffs in as many years make me go through this interviewing hell over and over so I detect patterns.

And, recently, it seems like most interviewers have been female.

Um, a little career advice for you, if you get "laid off" 6 times in 6 years, you might want to reconsider a new line of work. You clearly aren't doing anything right with your research of the companies that hired you and you clearly aren't performing in the job either. At some point you would actually make the cut and not be part of the lay off if you were.

Um, a little career advice for you, if you get "laid off" 6 times in 6 years, you might want to reconsider a new line of work. You clearly aren't doing anything right with your research of the companies that hired you and you clearly aren't performing in the job either. At some point you would actually make the cut and not be part of the lay off if you were.

Aren't we a little judgmental of people that we know nothing about? I am performing but there are things out of my hands such as companies being sold and/or partnerships being dissolved and/or laying off an entire salesforce.

We don't have crystal balls but I am grateful for each opportunity while it lasted and I will maintain focus and get something else.

And, the pharma industry hasn't really rebounded since the mid-2000s.

Aren't we a little judgmental of people that we know nothing about? I am performing but there are things out of my hands such as companies being sold and/or partnerships being dissolved and/or laying off an entire salesforce.

We don't have crystal balls but I am grateful for each opportunity while it lasted and I will maintain focus and get something else.

And, the pharma industry hasn't really rebounded since the mid-2000s.

Get out of pharma. Why are you spending so much time fighting to stay in?

Are you unemployable in another sales field?

I left pharma and doubled my total pay.

I always ask that question, and so far not ONE person has actually answered with a valid answer. I'm out of pharma and making about 1/2 of what I made in pharma, and I've had to work through promotions to get to that point. But then again, I'm in an office setting -- and have ZERO stress and NO WORK after 5pm, so the trade off of the $$ has been well worth it.

So, here it is again -- if you are making 2x the salary you were making in pharma sales, what are you selling now? Please be explicit in your answer.

Thanks.

I always ask that question, and so far not ONE person has actually answered with a valid answer. I'm out of pharma and making about 1/2 of what I made in pharma, and I've had to work through promotions to get to that point. But then again, I'm in an office setting -- and have ZERO stress and NO WORK after 5pm, so the trade off of the $$ has been well worth it.

So, here it is again -- if you are making 2x the salary you were making in pharma sales, what are you selling now? Please be explicit in your answer.

Thanks.

Stress in pharma?

As for the device guy, you might make 2X more, but you have 4X the headaches and you are dealing with bigger egos. I have done both, and pharma. is much better. Small company pharma is the way to go. There is not much stability, but if you can find it, do it.

Thanks.

Specialty diagnostic devices, non surgical. I need to keep it general for anonymity.

Base plus commission. Commission is about 70% of my compensation.

Pretty stress free but the learning curve was 2-3 years. I travel maybe 50 nights a year, which isn't bad.

My work ends at 5 because my customers don't want to hear from me after 5. Weekend work is minimal other than trade shows, which can be on the weekends and can be for a few days straight. Trade shows aren't terrible, my company tries to make them fun with incentives, contests, good dinners, etc.

Management is good. They lay off if you know your stuff and sell.

Stress in pharma?

As for the device guy, you might make 2X more, but you have 4X the headaches and you are dealing with bigger egos. I have done both, and pharma. is much better. Small company pharma is the way to go. There is not much stability, but if you can find it, do it.

You referred to me. Maybe I work some place special, but my company is really good. A lot of the guys here have been here for 30+ years. I have been here 5 and feel really comfortable here.

Even many of my competitors are good places to work. I have buddies at other companies I compete with and they describe a similar workplace that I have.

I think too many on here equate every device job with Stryker. Not every device company is Stryker hard-core.

If I had to start over (my first career job out of college was Pfizer), I would go into the insurance industry because there is tons of stability and it is low stress for the most part. Either that, or real estate sales.

Here is a smart thing I hope those of you with children are getting: have your children bypass college until they are about 25, if they must go. I see so many decent sales jobs (food sales comes to mind) that do not require a college degree.

College is a major waste of time and a terrible investment, especially today.

totally agree. You don't need a college degree to do sales or start a business. I've worked for small companies over the years where owners had never gone to college and were millionaires because they were working for themselves. Think its a big waste of money and time