• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

FDE for a bachelor level chemist

Anonymous

I know most of the posts here are about how Lilly is circling the drain, and I don't doubt it. Still, I'm wondering if it might be worth going the FDE route at Lilly for a year or two just to have a paycheck while I work out what I really want to do. Can anyone give me a ballpark on what I can make per hour as an experienced bachelor level chemist? My experience is not in pharma, but I have done a variety of things and worked with a variety of instruments.

I know most of the posts here are about how Lilly is circling the drain, and I don't doubt it. Still, I'm wondering if it might be worth going the FDE route at Lilly for a year or two just to have a paycheck while I work out what I really want to do. Can anyone give me a ballpark on what I can make per hour as an experienced bachelor level chemist? My experience is not in pharma, but I have done a variety of things and worked with a variety of instruments.

My data is a 4 years old, but I knew a BS FDE chemist in analytical that was paid $60,000/year and the contract was renewed each year for 4 years. No bonus or retirement, but 401k, healthcare, and all other benefits of a full employee. If I needed a job and was mobile I would do it, but keep your CV up to date and don't stop looking or interviewing for another job.

According to some financial blogs our scientists make great bonuses getting drugs into Phase 1 trials! Doesn't seem to matter if they are worth anything or not. That was a thorn in the side of one of the bloggers who said that until we change the way that our scientist are paid we will continue to have a worthless pipeline with hundreds of molecules that have very little chance of ever coming out. At least leadership can brag about the number of molecules in our pipeline on TV though. That seems to be all that matters here anymore.

The figures quoted here were more than I hoped for, so it sounds like it is worth a shot. I don't really mind FDE, since I don't see working at any major corporation for life. There is just too much Dilbert bulls**t. They probably won't hire me since I got two speeding tickets in 2008 after the economic collapse and the police were desperately trying to raise money for the government. :p

The figures quoted here were more than I hoped for, so it sounds like it is worth a shot. I don't really mind FDE, since I don't see working at any major corporation for life. There is just too much Dilbert bulls**t. They probably won't hire me since I got two speeding tickets in 2008 after the economic collapse and the police were desperately trying to raise money for the government. :p

There is no Dilbert bulls**t at Lilly. Only a soccer field, bar, amphitheater, cinema and a focus on patient outcomes. What is not to like?

My data is a 4 years old, but I knew a BS FDE chemist in analytical that was paid $60,000/year and the contract was renewed each year for 4 years. No bonus or retirement, but 401k, healthcare, and all other benefits of a full employee. If I needed a job and was mobile I would do it, but keep your CV up to date and don't stop looking or interviewing for another job.

I was an FDE. This info is accurate. But if they can't afford to hire you, maybe you can't afford to work there. Take the job if you must, and double your search for a real job. Leave as soon as you can, 4 yeard comes fast. Make it much, much shorter.