• Wed news: Lilly’s 4.5B medicine foundry project. 5 FDA decisions to watch in Q4. Hurricane Helene and the health supply chain. Lundbeck taps Charles River for AI-enabled neuro drug discovery. Amgen tax evasion lawsuit. See more on our front page

Culture at Abbvie

Does telling yourself this dreck really help you to forget that it is precisely a lack of ambition, skills and ideals that keeps you at this Kmart of Pharma?

You are pathetic. We have a legacy via Abbott of over a hundred years in pharma. We have the biggest selling drug in the world. The experience of our upper management is second to none.... if you ever have the opportunity to sit in on a meeting with them, you will see that very quickly. What you are seeing from your position is the 10 foot view.... now imagine if you had the vision from 30,000 feet.... the planning and organization that goes into a multifaceted organization is huge, and one that is simply not visible from the level on which you operate.
Maybe you are stuck with a DM that is clueless, maybe not. But there is so much more beyond the field sales force level that gives a very different perspective on how the company operates. Earn a couple of promotions to see another perspective if you are really interested in seeing how our company runs. It is amazing.
Now I am just waiting for the juvenile comments about kool-aid and such.... but everything I have posted is true. Our company is big, and it is profitable, it helps patients and therefor investors.
It works.

You are pathetic. We have a legacy via Abbott of over a hundred years in pharma. We have the biggest selling drug in the world. The experience of our upper management is second to none.... if you ever have the opportunity to sit in on a meeting with them, you will see that very quickly. What you are seeing from your position is the 10 foot view.... now imagine if you had the vision from 30,000 feet.... the planning and organization that goes into a multifaceted organization is huge, and one that is simply not visible from the level on which you operate.
Maybe you are stuck with a DM that is clueless, maybe not. But there is so much more beyond the field sales force level that gives a very different perspective on how the company operates. Earn a couple of promotions to see another perspective if you are really interested in seeing how our company runs. It is amazing.
Now I am just waiting for the juvenile comments about kool-aid and such.... but everything I have posted is true. Our company is big, and it is profitable, it helps patients and therefor investors.
It works.

Yes...it is amazing, I'll leave it at that.

Look up rankings of top pharma companies in the world. You don't crack the top ten on most lists. Your managent ranking based on the opinions of Wall Street was a B- in a recent WSJ article ranking management. Keep believing the hype. Your mediocre at best.

It works.

Has there ever been a more awful few months for any pharma company?
The Shire deal was a 1.5 billion dollar fiasco.
Now VP, which is suppose to be the next block buster, is crashing and burning. Take it to the bank, heads will be rolling this year. Unfortunely they are likely to be the wrong ones. Rickey is the one who should be falling on his sword!

Now VP, which is suppose to be the next block buster, is crashing and burning. Take it to the bank, heads will be rolling this year. Unfortunely they are likely to be the wrong ones. Rickey is the one who should be falling on his sword!

Considering Abbvie is 2 years old this month. This isn't "a few bad months."
At this point the Board of Directors needs to get involved. Change starts at the top.

Managed care should be decimated with the results they have driven here in the US.
We come out with a second rate me-too drug that looks like a piece of shit from many angles compared to Gilead's. We expect this drug to sell well when it has essentially lost every big PBMs' A list?
You can't sell a Yuga at a Maserati price. Period. Now we are screwed as more big plans are offered better deals from Gilead and we sit with our thumbs up our ass at AbbVie.
Why hasn't there been a huge shakeup in Mismanaged Care?
Let me be a bold fortune teller. Within 6 months, sales reps will be laid off in droves while Managed Care is not touched.
That's the way it plays here.

It works.

I agree with almost all of what you said. Please don't live in the past. You sound like Sears. Humira is a long term therapy in disease states where patients cycle different drugs for years. So it is different from most drugs.

However, many concerns and customer issues are marginalized. We have way too many reps in HCV. With only 12 to 15 accounts in a territory. We saturate this market. Our layers are overwhelming our innovations are weak. We had a year to get ready and we did not utilize this time. Big pharma has a hard time keeping up with small bio tech that has experience in this space.

Upper management is defensive and customers have commented. This is not going well. Once again over promise and under deliver should not be our slogan.

Patients and customers matter and the field reps are the face of the company. So make sure you listen to them.

I agree with almost all of what you said. Please don't live in the past. You sound like Sears. Humira is a long term therapy in disease states where patients cycle different drugs for years. So it is different from most drugs.

However, many concerns and customer issues are marginalized. We have way too many reps in HCV. With only 12 to 15 accounts in a territory. We saturate this market. Our layers are overwhelming our innovations are weak. We had a year to get ready and we did not utilize this time. Big pharma has a hard time keeping up with small bio tech that has experience in this space.

Upper management is defensive and customers have commented. This is not going well. Once again over promise and under deliver should not be our slogan.

Patients and customers matter and the field reps are the face of the company. So make sure you listen to them.

Perfect analogy; great advice!

Re the no layoffs bit: having been there and done that late last year I can guarantee that it's not true.

"In an analysis that looked at large biotech firms, there are five companies that show a correlation of large layoffs with an increase in the CEO’s total compensation: AbbVie (ABBV), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY), Novartis (NVS), Roche (RHHBY), and Sanofi (SNY). In fact, four out of the five were so notorious that they made it to the list of the “Top 15 Job-Cutting Companies of 2013 (So Far)” compiled by Gen, the Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology

News site. - See more at: http://www.biospace.com/News/biotec...hand-with-ceo-pay/347221#sthash.faxb43jJ.dpuf

Btw, our fearless leader RG had a pay increase from of roughly 7mil to 18 mil.

"In an analysis that looked at large biotech firms, there are five companies that show a correlation of large layoffs with an increase in the CEO’s total compensation: AbbVie (ABBV), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMY), Novartis (NVS), Roche (RHHBY), and Sanofi (SNY). In fact, four out of the five were so notorious that they made it to the list of the “Top 15 Job-Cutting Companies of 2013 (So Far)” compiled by Gen, the Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology

News site. - See more at: http://www.biospace.com/News/biotec...hand-with-ceo-pay/347221#sthash.faxb43jJ.dpuf

Listen...if Abbvie retains all the people at the top who continually (not just this launch, but have a track record of botched launches) and reduce head count on the streets meaning "sales representatives" (and I don't mean most of the redundant layers above who are overpaid and add little value because they rely on us for most everything anyways - GPAE, AE, MSL, and Managed Care - they should be downsized too). If Abbvie does not thin out the above layers first and just reduces the sales force.. Then this is truly a messed up dysfunctional and evil to the core company that you really don't want to be associated with any longer. Take your severance and take your time looking for a better opportunity. I'm not afraid - ANY PLACE has to be a step up if Abbvie does that. F$&k em'!

The numbers for the lipid franchise layoff seem low- there were more than 23 reps let go. What kind of fuzzy math did we do on that one?

To answer the real question here. It's pretty bad. The whole organization is in chaos. It's not a good time here. Will that change? Maybe someday. But not with the current management. I came in from the outside several years ago. It hasn't changed yet. There need to be a reworking of things at the top. Then maybe attitudes will change in the middle and down to the rep level. I have decent team but they sense the trouble. I can only insulate them so much. We are in survival mode now.

To answer the real question here. It's pretty bad. The whole organization is in chaos. It's not a good time here. Will that change? Maybe someday. But not with the current management. I came in from the outside several years ago. It hasn't changed yet. There need to be a reworking of things at the top. Then maybe attitudes will change in the middle and down to the rep level. I have decent team but they sense the trouble. I can only insulate them so much. We are in survival mode now.

Managers are agents of the company not babysitters or friends of reps. You are supposed to generate top line revenue, period. So stop being negative and LEAD.