• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

cronyism/nepotism is it true

So here is the million dollar question hot shot. Tell me what makes Merck and its salesforce so superior? What "special training" did you receive to be so successful? (remember I made no mention that I work in R&D, I could actually work in sales and actually feel like sales is still a joke. There is nothing wrong with disliking the profession that one has chosen.) Tell me why these territories still bring in millions and millions of dollars when there are vacancies? You think the 15X15 guy is a joke? Perhaps you should realize it is the drugs and not the sales force that is driving revenues.
But continue to convince yourself that your success directly relates to your sales skill set. Continue to believe that farce.. It is a cruel world out there when you have to actually sell for a living.

12/12 47.27 Bil
12/11 48.05 Bil
12/10 45.99 Bil

I will make this simple for you. Even with no new drugs, sales has not dropped significantly. This is the sign that we know how to sell. Sales are based on what (please choose one):

1.The number of solar flares created by the sun.
2.Who wins the Superbowl.
3.Sales

What is R&D’s success based on (please choose one):
1.The number of spotted owls in Oregon.
2.Ohio
3.New drugs that are out or in the pipeline.

If you picked 3, you are correct. “I could actually work in sales” means you don’t. Quit being stupid or it’s back in the corner you go. We are superior because Merck screw-ups made us experts in damage control. Our reputation is so bad. We keep the waters calm and doctors continue to move our products. “why these territories still bring in millions and millions of dollars when there are vacancies” We are a billion dollar company. Why write about millions. “You think the 15X15 guy is a joke?” not my problem. It seems like most of R&D/QA/Production could fit the exact same profile. If not they don’t work smart or they just can’t hack it.

“It is a cruel world out there when you have to actually sell for a living.” It is also cruel world when you are over educated and produce nothing. I want you to be successful when you get canned. Right now it’s the trailer park for all of you. I don’t want to see that. Let me help:

Buyongxie means you’re welcome in Chinese. I have taken a few classes. I would also like a root beer. Not too much ice.

Glad I can help

12/12 47.27 Bil
12/11 48.05 Bil
12/10 45.99 Bil

I will make this simple for you. Even with no new drugs, sales has not dropped significantly. This is the sign that we know how to sell. Sales are based on what (please choose one):

1.The number of solar flares created by the sun.
2.Who wins the Superbowl.
3.Sales

What is R&D’s success based on (please choose one):
1.The number of spotted owls in Oregon.
2.Ohio
3.New drugs that are out or in the pipeline.

If you picked 3, you are correct. “I could actually work in sales” means you don’t. Quit being stupid or it’s back in the corner you go. We are superior because Merck screw-ups made us experts in damage control. Our reputation is so bad. We keep the waters calm and doctors continue to move our products. “why these territories still bring in millions and millions of dollars when there are vacancies” We are a billion dollar company. Why write about millions. “You think the 15X15 guy is a joke?” not my problem. It seems like most of R&D/QA/Production could fit the exact same profile. If not they don’t work smart or they just can’t hack it.

“It is a cruel world out there when you have to actually sell for a living.” It is also cruel world when you are over educated and produce nothing. I want you to be successful when you get canned. Right now it’s the trailer park for all of you. I don’t want to see that. Let me help:

Buyongxie means you’re welcome in Chinese. I have taken a few classes. I would also like a root beer. Not too much ice.

Glad I can help

So let me see if I understand this;
1. Multiple choice questions that summarized your first few posts but with no new relevancy
2. You are experts in damage control? Let me know where you can go to school for that and how you place that on your resume
3. Doctors write because they like the product not because they like you. So if you had been friends with a doctor for decades and you had a product that caused cancer in 99 out of 100 cases but your competitor was more like 1 out of 100 cases, you mean your doctor friend would choose the first because he/she likes you?
4. I write about millions because each territory doesn't do billions. So I don't lose you;
Let us say Merck had 1000 territories that each did 10 million a year, (that 10 billion, you see why I am talking about millions? Because I am talking about individual territories)

So let me see if I understand this;
1. Multiple choice questions that summarized your first few posts but with no new relevancy
2. You are experts in damage control? Let me know where you can go to school for that and how you place that on your resume
3. Doctors write because they like the product not because they like you. So if you had been friends with a doctor for decades and you had a product that caused cancer in 99 out of 100 cases but your competitor was more like 1 out of 100 cases, you mean your doctor friend would choose the first because he/she likes you?
4. I write about millions because each territory doesn't do billions. So I don't lose you;
Let us say Merck had 1000 territories that each did 10 million a year, (that 10 billion, you see why I am talking about millions? Because I am talking about individual territories)

Let me help you again. I’m not sure if it will ever sink in. Now I know why we have no pipeline.
1.I needed to make the last post simpler for your little puny brain. It did not work. Just hang out in the corner. It’s for the best.
2.You made us an expert in damage control by all your miserable failures. It’s called adapting and adjusting to your environment. That is clear by our GROSS revenue. I would go over that with you. There is no point . You would end up in the corner for weeks trying to figure it out. Just trust me.
3.When you get out of your cave, please read the press releases on our past products and the lawsuits. Your scenario is as stupid as you are. No need to answer such a stupid question.
4.No facts to that. Here is a fact. If we removed all of R&D 7 years ago what would we lose? Nothing because you haven’t done anything. What do you do when you collect your paychecks? Smile and think “I can’t believe they still pay me for what I produced. I wonder when they will catch on.”

Spend a few weeks researching gross revenue. I will give you a hint. It has nothing to do with looks. You should realize (probably not) that’s all we have right now. We produce that revenue. The layoffs of reps before were because of the merger. It had to do with overlapping territories. Please research overlapping territories. Since the merge we gave R&D a blank check. They have done nothing but fail. Now go get your shine box. Maybe you can shine shoes when you get canned. Maybe the soda thing is over your head.

Let me help you again. I’m not sure if it will ever sink in. Now I know why we have no pipeline.
1.I needed to make the last post simpler for your little puny brain. It did not work. Just hang out in the corner. It’s for the best.
2.You made us an expert in damage control by all your miserable failures. It’s called adapting and adjusting to your environment. That is clear by our GROSS revenue. I would go over that with you. There is no point . You would end up in the corner for weeks trying to figure it out. Just trust me.
3.When you get out of your cave, please read the press releases on our past products and the lawsuits. Your scenario is as stupid as you are. No need to answer such a stupid question.
4.No facts to that. Here is a fact. If we removed all of R&D 7 years ago what would we lose? Nothing because you haven’t done anything. What do you do when you collect your paychecks? Smile and think “I can’t believe they still pay me for what I produced. I wonder when they will catch on.”

Spend a few weeks researching gross revenue. I will give you a hint. It has nothing to do with looks. You should realize (probably not) that’s all we have right now. We produce that revenue. The layoffs of reps before were because of the merger. It had to do with overlapping territories. Please research overlapping territories. Since the merge we gave R&D a blank check. They have done nothing but fail. Now go get your shine box. Maybe you can shine shoes when you get canned. Maybe the soda thing is over your head.

You assume that Merck is the only company that doesn't have a pipeline, gets sued and has bloated layers in the organization. You think our mid level managers, managers, RVPs, etc have justifiable jobs? When is the last time you received great advice from anyone of the aforementioned persons? Thought so. The problem doesn't relate to R&D anymore if the executives have other things in mind. It cost so little to buy products late in their pipeline rather than attempt to build a meaningful brand. All of the big pharmaceutical companies realize this. Why do you think companies like Celegene continue to shoot up the ranks? You think it is because of sales? No, it is because of cutting edge drugs developed by R&D AND a great sales force.

Perhaps you are right, we could survive without R&D but is that a long term plan? One of the things keeping this broken system going is the fact that interest rates are so low the environment practically calls for M&A, purchasing products in their late stages, etc.

If I were an executive, I would rather purchase products that smaller companies have invested their resources in. At the same time, I would also keep my R&D afloat as well. Very few companies, especially ones like Pfizer and Merck, could survive or would come under so much pressure from investors if they eliminate their R&D.

You have really showed your true colors. You say what R&D puts out is garbage, which has caused us to become experts in damage control, but than you say your "looks" is what keeps you going. At least I know what I am good at and not. You have no idea who you are.

You assume that Merck is the only company that doesn't have a pipeline, gets sued and has bloated layers in the organization. You think our mid level managers, managers, RVPs, etc have justifiable jobs? When is the last time you received great advice from anyone of the aforementioned persons? Thought so. The problem doesn't relate to R&D anymore if the executives have other things in mind. It cost so little to buy products late in their pipeline rather than attempt to build a meaningful brand. All of the big pharmaceutical companies realize this. Why do you think companies like Celegene continue to shoot up the ranks? You think it is because of sales? No, it is because of cutting edge drugs developed by R&D AND a great sales force.

Perhaps you are right, we could survive without R&D but is that a long term plan? One of the things keeping this broken system going is the fact that interest rates are so low the environment practically calls for M&A, purchasing products in their late stages, etc.

If I were an executive, I would rather purchase products that smaller companies have invested their resources in. At the same time, I would also keep my R&D afloat as well. Very few companies, especially ones like Pfizer and Merck, could survive or would come under so much pressure from investors if they eliminate their R&D.

You have really showed your true colors. You say what R&D puts out is garbage, which has caused us to become experts in damage control, but than you say your "looks" is what keeps you going. At least I know what I am good at and not. You have no idea who you are.

Thanks I guess. I am far from good looking so I don't get the looks comment. I was writing about Gross Revenue. This is the income we receive from goods and services to customers. The person who I was corresponding with was as smart as a stump. Let me help. Gross revenue has NOTHING to do with looks. It's a financial term.

My bad. I think? carry on.

Funny..
You justify "keeping" a useless "R&D" because the investors might get pissed.
You have one of those quickie exec MBAs right ???
Just admit that the house of cards is simply a M&A vehicle.
Wouldn't it all be simply cheaper on the over head that way ??

Don't lump us in. This is a Merck problem. seriously

Pfizer

Funny..
You justify "keeping" a useless "R&D" because the investors might get pissed.
You have one of those quickie exec MBAs right ???
Just admit that the house of cards is simply a M&A vehicle.
Wouldn't it all be simply cheaper on the over head that way ??

I am not disagreeing with you on these. I'll take it a step further, wouldn't it be great if all doctors prescribed from us the moment they read from our screens? Wouldn't it be great if every objection overcome would stop a physician in their path and they would say "you are right, I will use your XYZ immediately."
There would be no need for the layers and layers of the sales force but guess what, that isn't reality. The same is with R&D, I would venture a guess that Merck, Pfizer, etc wouldn't be around if it weren't for R&D and a salesforce that could pay for a doc's vacation home years ago. Business trends up and down, R&D is in the down stage and sales has the upper hand. It wasn't always that way and you would be retarded to feel like that.
Picture this, once all the little pharma, biotech, etc companies are bought, bankrupt, etc it will be down to the "big ten", "big 8" etc and that is when R&D will resurface stronger than ever.
There is nothing but a business cycle going on right now but it will change. The problem with most people on here is that they only see short term, believing that they will be ok. That simply isn't true and it will come back to bite us all in the ass. BTW, your reply was horrible. Probably a juice head in college, trying to put your 4 inch dick in anything, while not going to a single class the first part of the semester, being involved in 10 fantasy football leagues at one time, etc. Ya you are a real contributor to society.

Why invest when you can "purchase".
It isn't a bad thing to have a safety net in place, i.e. R&D.
I am not sure who started the China thing earlier on this post but let us clear up a few things.
Companies ship to China for cheap labor and higher outputs
Companies ship to India for better quality, higher educated workforce, etc

Companies are hesistant to ship to China because of inept IP laws
Companies are hesistant to ship to India because of the corrupt government.

Please do not assume that China has the superior manufacturing workkforce. That would fall on India's shoulders. China is a quick turn and burn but you risk losing patents.

Just a thought, not involved in this argument but figured I would clarify from my personal opinion.

This comes down to who we hired. We used to hire the best in class. Maybe the nepotism is true. We started hiring friends, husbands, wifes, brothers, sister and stopped looking for the best. Worse yet we bypassed the best only to give the job to someone else.

I am not disagreeing with you on these. I'll take it a step further, wouldn't it be great if all doctors prescribed from us the moment they read from our screens? Wouldn't it be great if every objection overcome would stop a physician in their path and they would say "you are right, I will use your XYZ immediately."
There would be no need for the layers and layers of the sales force but guess what, that isn't reality. The same is with R&D, I would venture a guess that Merck, Pfizer, etc wouldn't be around if it weren't for R&D and a salesforce that could pay for a doc's vacation home years ago. Business trends up and down, R&D is in the down stage and sales has the upper hand. It wasn't always that way and you would be retarded to feel like that.
Picture this, once all the little pharma, biotech, etc companies are bought, bankrupt, etc it will be down to the "big ten", "big 8" etc and that is when R&D will resurface stronger than ever.
There is nothing but a business cycle going on right now but it will change. The problem with most people on here is that they only see short term, believing that they will be ok. That simply isn't true and it will come back to bite us all in the ass. BTW, your reply was horrible. Probably a juice head in college, trying to put your 4 inch dick in anything, while not going to a single class the first part of the semester, being involved in 10 fantasy football leagues at one time, etc. Ya you are a real contributor to society.

If we had this R&D/QA department 30 years ago we would be bankrupt by now. I only see reasons why they are a complete bunch of failures. That speak volumes on what we have now.

I am happy you admit that there is no reason to keep them here. You’re out of the denial phase. That’s a great start. It must feel great paying off those student loans for nothing. So you are writing R&D can’t possibility create new drugs. What are they doing? If we need to acquire another company for new drugs what does that tell you? Maybe their R&D/QA/QC departments have some value. How are you contributing to society? I believe R&D/QA/QC are on the Merck corporate welfare policy. Thing will get better when they get on the government welfare policy. Look on the bright side of things. The federal minimum wage will be going over ten dollars an hour soon.

Also we merged with SP R&D. That paid off big time. Look at all the wonderful new drugs we got out of that mess. We merged two department that had no business even being called R&D. Just a bunch of overly educated flunkies. Can’t even call them scientists.

glad I can assist.

Yes, I have seen it other places but hand picking is common here. The problem isn't the hand picking it is that when they pick people it is NOT because they are in the inner circle and have skills. It is specifically because they are buddies and support the status quo. As for R and D, thanks to the fact that Merck has lots of management, too much hand picked management, there is too little innovation they only make successful products and money in spite of themselves. Cutting travel and phones and throwing away $$ on other things that would save them big bucks. Not looking at any drug that isn't a me too... I don't know how they grew with these strategies.

You are all missing the boat here. Sales, R&D, marketing, etc are all useless arms of the "pharma wheel". Do you really think this industry needs a new chorlesterol, blood pressure, over active bowel drug, etc? These doctors already have plenty of drugs to choose from and plenty of pharma reps bringing them Starbucks daily. I find it hilarious that R&D and sales are on here trying to justify their existence and who to blame. there hasn't been one mention of executives being the main person to blame, although I think one person said that. Guess what? We are all expendable.

should not matter much. R&D is the fuel that moves the vehicle. if they don't get out of the ditch, not much matters. hr will be the only busy department in 2-5 years. M&A does not always work out.

FU-Merck

should not matter much. R&D is the fuel that moves the vehicle. if they don't get out of the ditch, not much matters. hr will be the only busy department in 2-5 years. M&A does not always work out.

FU-Merck

Dear R&D/QA/QC,
I believe Dr. Kim leaving is considered Game, Set, Match. It’s not a problem with the fuel. It’s the engine, transmission, electrical system, and everything else. The Times They Are A-Changin.

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya