Bye Bye Zostavax!

At least you know you will have over 90% chance not to get shingles after two doses of the GSK shingles vaccine rather than taking a 51% chance of not getting shingles with one dose of Zostavax. I'm not saying GSK will have a cake walk but they have a much stronger efficacy story and no waning immunity after 5 years.

4 years of data were presented at the ACIP meeting... is that long term? Talk and reality are different. If people actually get both Shingrix vaccines and don't puss out on how many damn side effects there are. Don't brag until you see what actually happens when real people in the real world get your vaccine and we will see if efficacy and safety are the same as controlled studies.

Real world Zostavax can't be dismissed....

4 years of data were presented at the ACIP meeting... is that long term? Talk and reality are different. If people actually get both Shingrix vaccines and don't puss out on how many damn side effects there are. Don't brag until you see what actually happens when real people in the real world get your vaccine and we will see if efficacy and safety are the same as controlled studies.

Real world Zostavax can't be dismissed....

So if I received Zostavax over 5 years ago do I need to get the new GSK vaccine just to be sure?

There is no other Zoster vaccine approved right now. When and if a new product gets approved you will have to see what the ACIP guidelines are updated to say about prior vaccinated patients and if your insurance covers another vaccine.

There are 3 scenarios
ACIP approves Shingrix preferred (unlikely without real world data on side effects)
ACIP approves Shringix for 2 doses60 + and recommends Zostavax @50
ACIP appvoes Shingrix for the same exact recommedation without preference as Zostavax then insurance will cover maybe/one or the other

I'd be interested in finding out why shingles vaccines aren't covered for those of us that had it in our early 40's! I've also had patients that came down with shingles as young as 28!