• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Best rumors out there

I was with my manager yesterday and he told me that the initial cuts are just phase 1. After that the pool of reps without positions will get a chance to apply for open positions- this is where they are able to keep which reps have been consistently adding value to the customer. The first phase the managers have no say, the second phase is manager and director input. This will be a good way to get rid of the dead weight. He acknowledged that some dead weight unfortunately will get through the first phase but that it will be easier to terminate employees moving forward. And that all of the employees that are deemed valuable by our area will eventually get jobs if they want to stay at Lilly. Our pipeline 2-3 years out is one of the strongest- if not the strongest in the industry. Those that make it should have a very lucrative career much like the employees that were around during the Prozac days.

I'm actually not as worried now after talking with him. If they value you they will find you a spot. In my 3 years here I've demonstrated increasing levels of leadership in our area. Plus my sales with Cymbalta have been upward the entire time. And I've absolutely dominated with Axiron.

Yeah for you! And if you are an idiot and stay with lilly, you will never get paid what you are worth. All other companies pay a base in the 100s. And the majority of the companies pay a 40k uncapped bonus, with potential to make at least 25K a quarter. that's the norm, folks. lucrative career at lilly? You are so clueless. Been doing this for 20 years and Lilly pays half what other companies pay. Unfortunately, I took this job because I had to move where my husbands job took us. It was the only thing available. I plan on leaving wherher I make the cut or not. I want to make more money and I don't like the way they have treated people on the contract side with things ending. I think there are a lot of sharp reps here, but they are working for managers that know nothing and being trained the wrong way and brainwashed to be robots.

Yeah for you! And if you are an idiot and stay with lilly, you will never get paid what you are worth. All other companies pay a base in the 100s. And the majority of the companies pay a 40k uncapped bonus, with potential to make at least 25K a quarter. that's the norm, folks. lucrative career at lilly? You are so clueless. Been doing this for 20 years and Lilly pays half what other companies pay. Unfortunately, I took this job because I had to move where my husbands job took us. It was the only thing available. I plan on leaving wherher I make the cut or not. I want to make more money and I don't like the way they have treated people on the contract side with things ending. I think there are a lot of sharp reps here, but they are working for managers that know nothing and being trained the wrong way and brainwashed to be robots.

I concur. Left a few years ago after a long tenure and have not looked back. Doubled my base and bonuses during this time. Lilly is a cult-like culture that prevents one from seeing what is really out there. I could not see it when I was there. There is life after Lilly.

As for the comment that Lilly has the strongest pipeline going forward... This same thing was loudly touted in 2004-2008. "Lilly has the strongest pipeline and best patent expiry profile in the industry" - which was all true a that time. Fast forward to 2013...nearly all of the Phase 3 molecules from that time have either failed in trials or were commercial flops. There are varied reasons for these failures, but one question still remains... What makes you think the internal culture and critical thinking around commercial decisions have improved so the failures do not reoccur? History is repeating itself as the Lilly culture - and flawed decision making processes - are still the same. Unless you can point to real changes in these areas, I do not think the outcomes going forward will be different.

Lilly is a good company to learn early in your career. You all have some of the best training any industry provides, but you are in a culture that numbs the impact of your sharpened skills. If you go to other companies and even industries, the skills and business processes you have learned are transferable and differentiating. After these changes, new opportunities will arise. Good luck to all.

So this layoff situation is unprecedented at Lilly so you can't necessarily go by past realignments, etc. However, since Lilly must be very careful in how they choose who stays and who goes to ensure it's fair and balanced and avoid lawsuits, a 3rd party does the "people selection" based on a carefully calculated matrix that includes many weighted variables. ZS Associates in conjunction with one or two Lilly ops people come up with the actual Blueprint for divisions, areas, territories, reps from a numbers perspective. Once the maps are done and they know how many people are needed ZS starts the process of fitting people into positions. In places where nobody fits, typically the position is left open. My opinion is this will not occur as they will fill all positions to eliminate the need for interviewing and taking managers away from focusing on closing out the next 3 months and preparing for July 1st. Maybe just maybe, there will be few scarce positions in rural areas, but since territories will be much larger that is no reason to think there will be any where a current rep doesn't fit. So, yeah some bad reps will be kept while a lot of great reps will gone, but that's more geography specific than anything else. Nobody, seriously...not a sole at Lilly knows anything about specific people and their fate at this time. Those documents are sealed and begin to be opened Monday. Monday the BU leaders find out and Tuesday the directors find out only their own fate. Wednesday during the webconference the Unit Leaders, Directors, and Managers will see it live while we watch it or listen in. We'll hear and see the new business unit alignment including the overall maps and total geographies, for example maybe something like 1 division, 1 BU leader, 8 Directors, 180 managers, 1800 reps and then hear the whys and strategy moving forward. Thursday the people part starts. Management will sit at a table with HR and ZS Associates individually and learn their fate and the fate of their current team and if they still have a job who their new/same team is depending on how it goes. All I can say is good luck to all those out there. If you get to stay be thankful and considerate of others who do not. For those who get the squeeze, you certainly have the right to feel however you want, but you should also be considerate of those who got to stay. No backstabbing or complaining about others during the 3 month exit period to try to save yourself, it's simply not fair. Nothing about this whole situation is fair, but sometimes life isn't fair. I wish everyone the best of luck this upcoming week and in the future. My fingers are crossed for all of you...especially myself.

If you answer YES to any of these questions you are being displaced.

With the company for more then 12 years.

Counterpart is much younger and makes less money.

Manager during ride with does not look you straight in the eyes when talking.(he knows)

Simple ONE - On a PIP

You don't know anyone in the corporate office ( angel )

When my products are gone do I have anything to sell.

This one always happens : Award winner, Presidents Club(whatever you call it) kiss ass.

Good luck - Try to hold on Its a tough market out there.

High up here from Home Office. Lay-offs to come within the next 3 weeks. Un announced. :( So sad for all the reps and some staff at HQ. I was not even supposed to know about this, just wrong place at the wrong time. This is going to be so sad! :(

Conf call on Wednesday will announce combining of mask cardio and neuro. 368 total territories with 736 total reps. 37 managers and two regional directors. Thursday directors and managers find out. Managers will push out territory reps and offered spots in sales. Most are expected to not accept. Territory managers find out Friday and those without spots will have 3 months to post- after which a severance of 1 week per year of service.

Good luck to all.

Conf call on Wednesday will announce combining of mask cardio and neuro. 368 total territories with 736 total reps. 37 managers and two regional directors. Thursday directors and managers find out. Managers will push out territory reps and offered spots in sales. Most are expected to not accept. Territory managers find out Friday and those without spots will have 3 months to post- after which a severance of 1 week per year of service.

Good luck to all.

What about Men's Health? The HR website states different criteria for severance pay! This is bogus!

Good luck to all.

Where did this information come from? I don't think this is what they are going to do. Lets don't start putting crazy information out here!!

35% reduction in Sales reps amongst MSK-Psych-PC Psych; these three sleeves will be grouped together and those surviving the split will promote Stratt-Cial-Axir. Areas with no access will be considered "white space" and rep reduction will be applied accordingly - 10 Areas will have significant "white space" resulting in no rep coverage. Directors & DSM's will have to re-apply for positions - three months to do so until July 1. Kicker incentive to stay until June 30 will be offered to those reallocated and will not have jobs. Magnitude of this lay-off is unprecedented in Lilly history. Good luck to all

35% reduction in Sales reps amongst MSK-Psych-PC Psych; these three sleeves will be grouped together and those surviving the split will promote Stratt-Cial-Axir. Areas with no access will be considered "white space" and rep reduction will be applied accordingly - 10 Areas will have significant "white space" resulting in no rep coverage. Directors & DSM's will have to re-apply for positions - three months to do so until July 1. Kicker incentive to stay until June 30 will be offered to those reallocated and will not have jobs. Magnitude of this lay-off is unprecedented in Lilly history. Good luck to all

Where's cardio, senior care and men's health in the mix?

This seems like it could br pretty accurate... To who ever this is... Any insight on how they are determining who stays.... Similar to years past? Time in territory, where you live? Are they incorporating EPM rating and results into decisions?

The ineptitude among Lilly "leadership" is unprecedented.