• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Advice from someone who’s been through it before.

Former J&J Rep

Reposting this from a few years ago. I wrote this after a second round of layoffs hit our op company. I’m hoping it helps someone. Just a quick update, been through this twice. If you are a good rep, and likely even if you are not, you will land quicker than you think. There are jobs out there and companies that would love to bring you onboard. Good luck.

First of all, I am sorry to hear that there was another round. I was let go last year and I know first hand the kick in the stomach it is. Here is a short list of things to make sure you do while you still have access to your company assets. That window closes quickly, make the most of it.

1.) Go into TC1 and change any vacation days you have on the books for the rest of the year back to work days. You get paid for any unused vacation days and will get a lump sum check after your separation date. Even if you have no intention of working another minute, DO NOT USE YOUR VACATION TIME. You will be too busy in the field, helping your customers with the transition to another rep to take a vacation day (wink, wink.)

2.) Do a search of your hard drive for your .pst file. That is all of your personal folders from Outlook. Then go in and create a back up all of your emails. Save it to a DVD or to a USB drive. Essentially, download EVERYTHING you would like to have after the fact. Download it all, even if you don't know if you'll need it. It is tough when you need sales numbers, performance reports, whatever and then have to reach out to a former co-worker for help who either is too busy with the ridiculous bullshit the company is having them do or they just don't care. Either way you are better off having everything for yourself.

3.) This is a tough one, buy very important: If your territory was essentially reworked or split, but essentially still intact and then reposted on the career website DO NOT WASTE A MINUTE OF YOUR TIME thinking about applying unless you enjoy bending over further so they can stick it in a little deeper. They would not have put you on the outside if they wanted you in. I wish I had listened to that one myself, but some people just need to find out on their own. Do yourself a favor, spend that time looking elsewhere and don't expend any energy trying to fight your way back in.

4.) Don't be surprised at how few people reach out. You will learn who your true friends are fast. Litmus test - if they haven't reached out by now, especially with the holiday, they are not worth worrying about. Write them off.

5.) Go to the J&J Store and max out your orders. It is a nice benefit that you will miss. You can never have too many Bandaids and the K-Y comes in handy (pun intended) for much needed stress relief during the job search.

6.) Finally the big one, always keep in mind that CHRISTMAS IS THE TIME OF GIVING. LifeScan is reaching its final goal of becoming Big Pharma. The current slate of DBMs are not anywhere close to the J&J mold of what a pharmaceutical district manager should look like. Most were awarded the position because it was the next logical step in a long career, a bone thrown to an obedient dog. What better gift to give the soon-to-be-former DBM in your life than a solid reference for the position they are now forced to re-interview for? Even if they did not ask you for one, you are in a giving mood aren't you? : ) Reach out to Chris and Peter and let them know what you think. Funny when you think about it. While these self serving lemmings were busy protecting the brown nosing favorites in your district through higher performance ratings and exposing you to these cuts, they forgot one thing - YOU KNOW ALL OF THEIR DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS. Were they sleeping with a rep? Did they "fake" their own calls on your FDCR by spending your WW griping about the company over breakfast, visiting just one office with you before leaving at 11am to "catch a conference call" but then ASKED YOU TO PROVIDE 3-5 ADDITIONAL OFFICES TO ROUND OUT THE DAY? That is an easy one if you think about it. I cannot recall one full work with day with my former DBM, it was always "who are you planning on seeing the rest of the day" before he left to go home at noon. Everyone seems to forget that seasoned reps have developed great relationships, great relationships that will allow you to ask for a letter stating they did not see your manger on the day he/she said they did on the FDCR. Another good one - were you ever asked to purchase gift cards, wine bottles or any other non-business items for region gifts at POA meetings or team holiday parties, etc. and then directed to expense it as an HCP luncheon? Did your manager ever approve a team party or dinner that was expensed as a "business planning meeting" to get around compliance or director level approval? Well there you go. Don't you think that J&J should know all of these great qualifications your manager has in their skill set yet may be too humble to put on his resume?

Take the last one with a grain of salt and do what you will. It just makes me smile to know that the DBMs are still sweating. There are many I would love to see join all of us out here, I know you feel the same way. Sometimes, all they need is a little push to see how warm the water is out here. As for you guys, the reps, good luck. I can say it does get better and there a lot of great opportunities out there if you look - especially outside the industry. I am out of pharma and MD&D for good and there is no looking back : ). Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and check out other sales opportunities in manufacturing, defense, technology etc. There are great paying jobs out there with companies that do respect their employees, not just say they do.

Have a great holiday season everyone. It won't be easy for a lot of you, but I wish you the best and please know you do have friends out here.

<

Reposting this from a few years ago. I wrote this after a second round of layoffs hit our op company. I’m hoping it helps someone. Just a quick update, been through this twice. If you are a good rep, and likely even if you are not, you will land quicker than you think. There are jobs out there and companies that would love to bring you onboard. Good luck.

First of all, I am sorry to hear that there was another round. I was let go last year and I know first hand the kick in the stomach it is. Here is a short list of things to make sure you do while you still have access to your company assets. That window closes quickly, make the most of it.

1.) Go into TC1 and change any vacation days you have on the books for the rest of the year back to work days. You get paid for any unused vacation days and will get a lump sum check after your separation date. Even if you have no intention of working another minute, DO NOT USE YOUR VACATION TIME. You will be too busy in the field, helping your customers with the transition to another rep to take a vacation day (wink, wink.)

2.) Do a search of your hard drive for your .pst file. That is all of your personal folders from Outlook. Then go in and create a back up all of your emails. Save it to a DVD or to a USB drive. Essentially, download EVERYTHING you would like to have after the fact. Download it all, even if you don't know if you'll need it. It is tough when you need sales numbers, performance reports, whatever and then have to reach out to a former co-worker for help who either is too busy with the ridiculous bullshit the company is having them do or they just don't care. Either way you are better off having everything for yourself.

3.) This is a tough one, buy very important: If your territory was essentially reworked or split, but essentially still intact and then reposted on the career website DO NOT WASTE A MINUTE OF YOUR TIME thinking about applying unless you enjoy bending over further so they can stick it in a little deeper. They would not have put you on the outside if they wanted you in. I wish I had listened to that one myself, but some people just need to find out on their own. Do yourself a favor, spend that time looking elsewhere and don't expend any energy trying to fight your way back in.

4.) Don't be surprised at how few people reach out. You will learn who your true friends are fast. Litmus test - if they haven't reached out by now, especially with the holiday, they are not worth worrying about. Write them off.

5.) Go to the J&J Store and max out your orders. It is a nice benefit that you will miss. You can never have too many Bandaids and the K-Y comes in handy (pun intended) for much needed stress relief during the job search.

6.) Finally the big one, always keep in mind that CHRISTMAS IS THE TIME OF GIVING. LifeScan is reaching its final goal of becoming Big Pharma. The current slate of DBMs are not anywhere close to the J&J mold of what a pharmaceutical district manager should look like. Most were awarded the position because it was the next logical step in a long career, a bone thrown to an obedient dog. What better gift to give the soon-to-be-former DBM in your life than a solid reference for the position they are now forced to re-interview for? Even if they did not ask you for one, you are in a giving mood aren't you? : ) Reach out to Chris and Peter and let them know what you think. Funny when you think about it. While these self serving lemmings were busy protecting the brown nosing favorites in your district through higher performance ratings and exposing you to these cuts, they forgot one thing - YOU KNOW ALL OF THEIR DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS. Were they sleeping with a rep? Did they "fake" their own calls on your FDCR by spending your WW griping about the company over breakfast, visiting just one office with you before leaving at 11am to "catch a conference call" but then ASKED YOU TO PROVIDE 3-5 ADDITIONAL OFFICES TO ROUND OUT THE DAY? That is an easy one if you think about it. I cannot recall one full work with day with my former DBM, it was always "who are you planning on seeing the rest of the day" before he left to go home at noon. Everyone seems to forget that seasoned reps have developed great relationships, great relationships that will allow you to ask for a letter stating they did not see your manger on the day he/she said they did on the FDCR. Another good one - were you ever asked to purchase gift cards, wine bottles or any other non-business items for region gifts at POA meetings or team holiday parties, etc. and then directed to expense it as an HCP luncheon? Did your manager ever approve a team party or dinner that was expensed as a "business planning meeting" to get around compliance or director level approval? Well there you go. Don't you think that J&J should know all of these great qualifications your manager has in their skill set yet may be too humble to put on his resume?

Take the last one with a grain of salt and do what you will. It just makes me smile to know that the DBMs are still sweating. There are many I would love to see join all of us out here, I know you feel the same way. Sometimes, all they need is a little push to see how warm the water is out here. As for you guys, the reps, good luck. I can say it does get better and there a lot of great opportunities out there if you look - especially outside the industry. I am out of pharma and MD&D for good and there is no looking back : ). Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and check out other sales opportunities in manufacturing, defense, technology etc. There are great paying jobs out there with companies that do respect their employees, not just say they do.

Have a great holiday season everyone. It won't be easy for a lot of you, but I wish you the best and please know you do have friends out here.
nobody-got-time-for-that-a-intnobody-got-time-for-that.gif

THANKS!