A realistic view of Applied

Feeling your frustrations but as I kick the dust off my boots and sit at the table to rest my weary legs it appears that I have two choices in front of me. Yesterday during my neighborhood magic show I was asked to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Unfortunately I don’t have a rabbit only a squirrel and oddly enough I don’t have a hat I have a bandanna so I’m sure that you can imagine how that went. Before me on the table is the delicious Kentucky Fried Chicken extra crispy batch of moist chicken parts and Popeye’s Louisiana home made morsels of goodness. Which is better? Its hard to tell; they both have their own flavors that permeate the room and fill my belly and leave me satisfied. The point of this is simple I need my drive paved but aint got no money to cover the costs meanwhile chicken is cheap and always taste good when someone else makes it.

This absurdum is sort of the reason why Applied Medical wins business at a hospital.

I also admire your tastes for the deliciousness of deep fried battered chicken however; I have my own food cravings. I just can't help myself but to feel the need once in a while to eat a hamburger and in the same predicament I was sitting at my dining table with my wife who also loves hamburgers and more than two options were before us: McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. I have to say that normally we would have been the happiest couple alive but unfortunately we had our own experience with another and dear I say better hamburger alternative. While I was on the road I visited the Orange County area and saw a different kind of Hamburger establishment and yes we did visit the In and Out burger. There was something particular to the toasted buns and the fresh hamburgers that crunched from toasted freshness along with the crispness of the freshly cut and deep fried French fries. Now can you feel where I am coming from? You just can’t get that kind of uniformed service with a smile anywhere anymore. So I’m singing this song sitting at my table eating an enjoyable meal but remembering that wonderful far away experience at the non drive through In and Out restaurant where the food was cooked in front of you fresh and the service came with a smile.

You must be one of Said's drug-addled employees who is going through withdrawal after that cargo shipment got busted in the Netherlands a few weeks ago. I hope you get the help you need......

You must be one of Said's drug-addled employees who is going through withdrawal after that cargo shipment got busted in the Netherlands a few weeks ago. I hope you get the help you need......

The Applied "leaders" are worried about the company's online reputation. You can see that by the fake posts on Glassdoor and the nonsensical answers in this forum. Since they are too cheap to hire and online reputation management company they are doing it by themselves. This technique is called TOPIC DILUTION "by implementing continual and non-related postings that distract and disrupt (trolling ) the forum readers they are more effectively stopped from anything of any real productivity. If the intensity of gradual dilution is intense enough, the readers will effectively stop researching and simply slip into a ‘gossip mode.’ In this state they can be more easily misdirected away from facts towards uninformed conjecture and opinion"

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012...rection-and-control-of-an-internet-forum.html

Court rulings aren't fake, they decide what is fact according to the law and congress writes bills that become law. Here is a question of your personal judgement, Which is worse isolated incidences of unknowingly family abuse of power or ongoing intellectual property infringement?

Question from someone who works outside these product lines, I mainly tune in to this forum for entertainment purposes; Does Applied still command the top market share in trocars (unit volume not $)? I know they did at one point and gained that share through pretty shrewd business practices ie: taking legal action that disallowed Covidien and Ethicon from bundling trocars with their more extensive product lines.

Pretty smart business approach if you ask me...just not sure if either Covidien or Ethicon has regained the market lead in unit volume.

OP, it was refreshing to read your dispassionate review. Thanks! Predictably, the flame throwers (all 1 or 2 of them) were quick to weigh in with their mindless rants. I'm sure they'll flame me now. Let 'em rip boys:)

Question from someone who works outside these product lines, I mainly tune in to this forum for entertainment purposes; Does Applied still command the top market share in trocars (unit volume not $)? I know they did at one point and gained that share through pretty shrewd business practices ie: taking legal action that disallowed Covidien and Ethicon from bundling trocars with their more extensive product lines.

Pretty smart business approach if you ask me...just not sure if either Covidien or Ethicon has regained the market lead in unit volume.

OP, it was refreshing to read your dispassionate review. Thanks! Predictably, the flame throwers (all 1 or 2 of them) were quick to weigh in with their mindless rants. I'm sure they'll flame me now. Let 'em rip boys:)

OP here. Yes they are #1 in market share in volume and I believe #2 in $. Ethicon trocars cost more thus they are #1 in revenue.

OP here. Yes they are #1 in market share in volume and I believe #2 in $. Ethicon trocars cost more thus they are #1 in revenue.

You say tomato, I say tom'ATO. Depends on who you ask. Covidien (Now Medtronic) and Ethicon are multi BILLION dollar companies that have bigger fish to fry. Trocars, scissors and clip appliers are probably 1/1000th of their total sales (just an estimate). Unfortunately, Applied is a sinking ship and it's probably not long before they get bought. Their annual sales were only in the high multi millions last yr.

You say tomato, I say tom'ATO. Depends on who you ask. Covidien (Now Medtronic) and Ethicon are multi BILLION dollar companies that have bigger fish to fry. Trocars, scissors and clip appliers are probably 1/1000th of their total sales (just an estimate). Unfortunately, Applied is a sinking ship and it's probably not long before they get bought. Their annual sales were only in the high multi millions last yr.

A whole lot of rhetoric here. As I said in my original post I am not pro Applied or Anti Applied, but your post is ridiculous.

The question was asked who is #1 in trocars. it was answered. Doesn't matter if a company doesn't care about trocars or does. It is what it is.

Second, why do you think Applied is a sinking ship. As long as it is profitable it is not a sinking ship. Believe me I have issues with many things this company does, but I would not call it a sinking ship. Third you can only be bought if you want to sell. If Said does not want to sell then it could be very very long before they get bought, if ever. Their sales are probably around $400-$500 million and Ethicon and Covidiens market cap is irrelevant.

In the end I have no doubt Applied will continue as they are making a profit (how much no one knows) and will never be as big as Ethicon or Covidien, but it isn't as if a company can't be successful (profitable) if they are not one of those.

Feeling your frustrations but as I kick the dust off my boots and sit at the table to rest my weary legs it appears that I have two choices in front of me. Yesterday during my neighborhood magic show I was asked to pull a rabbit out of a hat. Unfortunately I don’t have a rabbit only a squirrel and oddly enough I don’t have a hat I have a bandanna so I’m sure that you can imagine how that went. Before me on the table is the delicious Kentucky Fried Chicken extra crispy batch of moist chicken parts and Popeye’s Louisiana home made morsels of goodness. Which is better? Its hard to tell; they both have their own flavors that permeate the room and fill my belly and leave me satisfied. The point of this is simple I need my drive paved but aint got no money to cover the costs meanwhile chicken is cheap and always taste good when someone else makes it.

I also admire your tastes for the deliciousness of deep fried battered chicken however; I have my own food cravings. I just can't help myself but to feel the need once in a while to eat a hamburger and in the same predicament I was sitting at my dining table with my wife who also loves hamburgers and more than two options were before us: McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's. I have to say that normally we would have been the happiest couple alive but unfortunately we had our own experience with another and dear I say better hamburger alternative. While I was on the road I visited the Orange County area and saw a different kind of Hamburger establishment and yes we did visit the In and Out burger. There was something particular to the toasted buns and the fresh hamburgers that crunched from toasted freshness along with the crispness of the freshly cut and deep fried French fries. Now can you feel where I am coming from? You just can’t get that kind of uniformed service with a smile anywhere anymore. So I’m singing this song sitting at my table eating an enjoyable meal but remembering that wonderful far away experience at the non drive through In and Out restaurant where the food was cooked in front of you fresh and the service came with a smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what a comedy break looks like. Of course Patent Infringement is the worse offense that changes market profitability ratios for those particular product lines and also alters the growth of companies. Use the example of Ethicon paying Applied Medical for intellectual property rights and Covidien having to pay through court of law (Violated Patent Infringement Laws). The current case with energy is a larger issue that will affect Applied Medical when they decide to release their energy device.

It sounds like the OP is pro-Applied to me!

I am not sure why you think that.

1) Comp plan is terrible. Difficult to understand, pays many roles way too little.

2) Upper, Upper, Management has no clue how to manage sales people, put together a comp plan, or have realistic views of what sales people go through.

3) CRM that they chose is a joke. I would be embarrassed to put my name on this. SAP is not I guess

4) Very little team efforts. Everyone operates on their own.

5) Some products absolutely need to be fixed 5mm clip applier should not even be sold until they work the kinks out.

6) Vertical integration? Then change the products that need to be changed as the market is looking for.

All things I find negative.

I am not sure why you think that.

1) Comp plan is terrible. Difficult to understand, pays many roles way too little.

2) Upper, Upper, Management has no clue how to manage sales people, put together a comp plan, or have realistic views of what sales people go through.

3) CRM that they chose is a joke. I would be embarrassed to put my name on this. SAP is not I guess

4) Very little team efforts. Everyone operates on their own.

5) Some products absolutely need to be fixed 5mm clip applier should not even be sold until they work the kinks out.

6) Vertical integration? Then change the products that need to be changed as the market is looking for.

All things I find negative.

OP, your comments are spot on, both pro and con. Thank you.

OP, your comments are spot on, both pro and con. Thank you.

To the OP, your cons outnumber your pros. If you put that on a list and weigh them, Applied sucks. Yes, they have good, clinically acceptable products. And you're right, obviously lowest price doesn't always win. There is a value that your competitors bring to the table that Applied either can't or won't do. Applied runs reps out by paying them poorly and choose not to recognize that that perception is one of the issues that hospitals have. Sales is more than just a decent product at a good price. Maybe that will change and good 'ol Applied will be out in front this time. Or not.