• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

A few Encouraging Words: RTBKPL

RTBKPL

• RTBKPL   Jan 05, 2012 at 07:33: AM
While I will admit that there are few people left at Novartis for whom I have any degree of respect or admiration, there are some friends left and I do not luxuriate in watching the demise of a once great company. Especially if it means that good people will find themselves looking for their next great occupational endeavor in questionable circumstances brought on by equally inept management of the economy and working environment.

Do not let your pharma background inhibit you from seeking employment in the device community. While I found my position thru networking which included someone who knew me in the hiring line, two of the other three who were hired were from Pharma. Remember....every device salesman found their first device job without any device experience. There is always a starting point. Yes there are a few organizations out there who have bought into the idea that Pharma Reps are not salesmen but this is not the case across the board.

Start your networking NOW. Networking is the best way to go, believe me. Join Linkedin NOW. Start preparing your resume now. The company will give you at least 3 months of outplacement service, take full advantage of this immediately upon dismissal. Your job will be LOOKING FOR A JOB until you land one. If you learn of a job/position in a geography you cannot possible move to, let someone in that geography know. They just might be the one who would alert you to a position more favorable to your circumstances. Above all.....do not get discouraged. Yes, you will possibly be rejected at times in your search but the more you interview the better you will get.

Google things like, "what is direct in closing?" Google "what is meant by "sense of urgency in selling?" Have answers ready for questions dealing with things such as this. "Give me an example of your most successful direct close in a selling situation." "Give me an example of the use of "sense of urgency in closing a sale." You most likely will find yourself doing telephone interviews which will involve stock questions such as this. The confidence in your voice, the promptness of your answer and other parameters will be noted and recorded by the interviewer. The better you do, the more chance you will have to move forward.

Interview, Interview, Interview and Interview, and when you are thru interviewing, interview some more. Interview anything that comes along, it's like landing in a cross wind. I know pilots who avoid flying in windy weather because they don't want to have to deal with heavy crosswind. There will come a time when the wind will pick up after they take off and they will have no choice but to handle the wind. The more you interview the better you will get. Write down the questions you felt you didn't handle well and think about a better answer. You will hear these again in future confrontations I assure you.

I hate to think this way but I know more than one or two of you dabble in the recreational drug scene. This would be a good time to give that crap up. Nothing like landing a position after a hard interview process only to pee in the bottle and lose at the last moment.

For the record there are a plethora of jobs out there which will not suit your career endeavors. Many are evening type positions possibly in retail or other situations which might not appeal to you but they pay better than unemployment and if in the evening, will allow you the daytime for interviewing. Don't ignore these opportunities but don't let these employers know you will be looking for higher paying positions during the day.

Be helpful to others along the way and they will do the same for you. You can be an asset or an a--hole and the choice is yours. Good luck my friends and remember.......

Never let the bastards get you down.

RTBKPL

<

While I will admit that there are few people left at Novartis for whom I have any degree of respect or admiration, there are some friends left and I do not luxuriate in watching the demise of a once great company. Especially if it means that good people will find themselves looking for their next great occupational endeavor in questionable circumstances brought on by equally inept management of the economy and working environment.

Do not let your pharma background inhibit you from seeking employment in the device community. While I found my position thru networking which included someone who knew me in the hiring line, two of the other three who were hired were from Pharma. Remember....every device salesman found their first device job without any device experience. There is always a starting point. Yes there are a few organizations out there who have bought into the idea that Pharma Reps are not salesmen but this is not the case across the board.

Start your networking NOW. Networking is the best way to go, believe me. Join Linkedin NOW. Start preparing your resume now. The company will give you at least 3 months of outplacement service, take full advantage of this immediately upon dismissal. Your job will be LOOKING FOR A JOB until you land one. If you learn of a job/position in a geography you cannot possible move to, let someone in that geography know. They just might be the one who would alert you to a position more favorable to your circumstances. Above all.....do not get discouraged. Yes, you will possibly be rejected at times in your search but the more you interview the better you will get.

Google things like, "what is direct in closing?" Google "what is meant by "sense of urgency in selling?" Have answers ready for questions dealing with things such as this. "Give me an example of your most successful direct close in a selling situation." "Give me an example of the use of "sense of urgency in closing a sale." You most likely will find yourself doing telephone interviews which will involve stock questions such as this. The confidence in your voice, the promptness of your answer and other parameters will be noted and recorded by the interviewer. The better you do, the more chance you will have to move forward.

Interview, Interview, Interview and Interview, and when you are thru interviewing, interview some more. Interview anything that comes along, it's like landing in a cross wind. I know pilots who avoid flying in windy weather because they don't want to have to deal with heavy crosswind. There will come a time when the wind will pick up after they take off and they will have no choice but to handle the wind. The more you interview the better you will get. Write down the questions you felt you didn't handle well and think about a better answer. You will hear these again in future confrontations I assure you.

I hate to think this way but I know more than one or two of you dabble in the recreational drug scene. This would be a good time to give that crap up. Nothing like landing a position after a hard interview process only to pee in the bottle and lose at the last moment.

For the record there are a plethora of jobs out there which will not suit your career endeavors. Many are evening type positions possibly in retail or other situations which might not appeal to you but they pay better than unemployment and if in the evening, will allow you the daytime for interviewing. Don't ignore these opportunities but don't let these employers know you will be looking for higher paying positions during the day.

Be helpful to others along the way and they will do the same for you. You can be an asset or an a--hole and the choice is yours. Good luck my friends and remember.......

Never let the bastards get you down.

RTBKPL

Once again, thank you for your words of advice!

Pee in a bottle? A lot of other companies are moving to hair samples, which go back 6 months. People shouldn't be doing drugs anyway. You're right, time to give it up folks!