A BRAVE NEW WORLD..?

Anonymous

Hello there! We were informed last week that our entire dept, along with several others will be leaving our current building in Gateway and moving to B32 in the lower campus at the end of this year to a 'shared workspce'. We were 'consulted' several months ago about this but it really feels like the decision was already made long before that. Things change, that's life, it just seems that this has been poorly messaged by all those involved in senior positions – why ? This was initially pitched to us that we would have a choice - that clearly isn’t the case now, probably never was. Why they didn’t they just tell us that it’s a new way of working that the company wants to try and that we are moving whether we like it or not ?
I’ve been here for 10 years and been through many moves. This one is different though given the new 'shared workspace' idea - ie goodbye offices/cubes even a desk in the extreme. I'll go with the flow - no choice. I love my job, I love working for GNE and what we do for patients BUT I am concerned about losing the sense of happiness and contentment that I have now. I have an office, I really do need this to perform my job but it's also my 'home' (that probably sounds weird) – a place to get some peace when I need it. I've no idea how I will feel when this happens. Any thoughts/advice from people who are already in such a workspace ?
Thanks !

PS - please no 'you should be grateful to have a paycheck, etc, etc' comments - I already am - thx

<

Hello there! We were informed last week that our entire dept, along with several others will be leaving our current building in Gateway and moving to B32 in the lower campus at the end of this year to a 'shared workspce'. We were 'consulted' several months ago about this but it really feels like the decision was already made long before that. Things change, that's life, it just seems that this has been poorly messaged by all those involved in senior positions – why ? This was initially pitched to us that we would have a choice - that clearly isn’t the case now, probably never was. Why they didn’t they just tell us that it’s a new way of working that the company wants to try and that we are moving whether we like it or not ?
I’ve been here for 10 years and been through many moves. This one is different though given the new 'shared workspace' idea - ie goodbye offices/cubes even a desk in the extreme. I'll go with the flow - no choice. I love my job, I love working for GNE and what we do for patients BUT I am concerned about losing the sense of happiness and contentment that I have now. I have an office, I really do need this to perform my job but it's also my 'home' (that probably sounds weird) – a place to get some peace when I need it. I've no idea how I will feel when this happens. Any thoughts/advice from people who are already in such a workspace ?
Thanks !

PS - please no 'you should be grateful to have a paycheck, etc, etc' comments - I already am - thx

Nothing lasts forever, kumbaya doesn't get the job done like it used to.
Really what I want to say is "get over yourself"

Life in the fast lane. Strap in.

Your talented Ivy League management team in SF could not manage their way out of a paper bag. Just be thankful you work for an employer with excellent products and killer margins.

It a WHOLE NEW WORLD...

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride

A whole new world
A new fantastic point of view
No one to tell us no or where to go
Or say we're only dreaming

A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here, it's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you
Aladdin: (Now I'm in a whole new world with you)
Princess Jasmine: Unbelievable sights
Indescribable feelings
Soaring, tumbling, freewheeling
Through an endless diamond sky

A whole new world
(Don't you dare close your eyes)
A hundred thousand things to see
(Hold your breath, it gets better)

Read more: Aladdin - A Whole New World Lyrics | MetroLyrics