2012, THE YEAR OF MISERY

When the Astra-Zeneca deal was inked, Bob Black, the US head of Zeneca, announced his retirement. As a "Zenecan" who really loved the whole philosphy of the Company, I got a sick feeling when I listened to Mr Black's farewell message.
While I was at sign-up/orientation after first being hired at Z, Black addressed our class and gave us an admonition: "In life, you have three priorities, God, family, company. Always keep them in that order!"
Friends, I haven't heard anything like that from SSLT since, but it's still a good rule to live by.

The AZ mantra:

Money, self, things.

When the Astra-Zeneca deal was inked, Bob Black, the US head of Zeneca, announced his retirement. As a "Zenecan" who really loved the whole philosphy of the Company, I got a sick feeling when I listened to Mr Black's farewell message.
While I was at sign-up/orientation after first being hired at Z, Black addressed our class and gave us an admonition: "In life, you have three priorities, God, family, company. Always keep them in that order!"
Friends, I haven't heard anything like that from SSLT since, but it's still a good rule to live by.

No, it's self, power, money, self, self self....

The Year of Misery begins in mere hours. We start it off with role play meetings called "Fast Start". Words can't begin to describe the stupidity of it all. AZ is racing towards the cliff at record speed. God help us all in 2012.

Fast Start my ass.

You should have been around when Mr. Black was our leader. He made a deal with sales and if we met the company goals, EVERYONE benefited with a program called 2 by 2. Our family took three vacations with the travel points awarded in a single year. This was in addition to bonus. My family thought the company walked on water. Morale was terrific.

I understand that in today's market this would be impossible to do, but even when Zeneca struggled back in the old days of Tenormin Wellspring and patent erosion, along with fears of a possible buy out from the Hanson group, people were treated with dignity and respect. I did not recognize until later just how decent our leadership was.

You should have been around when Mr. Black was our leader. He made a deal with sales and if we met the company goals, EVERYONE benefited with a program called 2 by 2. Our family took three vacations with the travel points awarded in a single year. This was in addition to bonus. My family thought the company walked on water. Morale was terrific.

I understand that in today's market this would be impossible to do, but even when Zeneca struggled back in the old days of Tenormin Wellspring and patent erosion, along with fears of a possible buy out from the Hanson group, people were treated with dignity and respect. I did not recognize until later just how decent our leadership was.

Wow! Did you bring back some great memories! The 2 by 2 program was great! It would not be impossible to do it in today's market at all. It's just AZ could give a shit about things like that! Forgot about the Hanson thing. We had real leaders back then. We respected them, and they respected us. Meetings were fun AND productive, not just role playing like they are now. Tell me, how can a group of so-called leaders be so extremely disconnected with their sales folks????? How can they be so utterly clueless about motivating people? AZ is definitely in a world of trouble, and as usual, we will pay the price.

Who do you think has "led" the U.S. business? Fante and Palczuk are both Zeneca. The last three VP of Sales have been former Zeneca, too.

Palczuk yes, but Fante was not Zeneca. It was Brennan, Zook, and Fante that took this organization down. Not sure, but Palczuk may have been initiator of Touchstone which definitely had a huge part in the demise of the company.

Palczuk was a decent manager to those who worked for her and CNS did well during her leadership. Thanks to the PSS were frequent. Don't know that much about later and current roles.

Palczuk yes, but Fante was not Zeneca. It was Brennan, Zook, and Fante that took this organization down. Not sure, but Palczuk may have been initiator of Touchstone which definitely had a huge part in the demise of the company.

The U.S. was handed to Astra. It's all been downhill since the merger. Zeneca culture became an Astra culture. Now the company is almost in shambles.

The U.S. was handed to Astra. It's all been downhill since the merger. Zeneca culture became an Astra culture. Now the company is almost in shambles.

As someone who came from the Astra side of things I can assure you that Astra as was, was nothing like the toxic cesspool that AZ has become! The rot really started to set in when Brennan took over and introduced all our favourites such as: metrics, HR's performance culture, forced-ranking, AZ behaviours, leadership capabilities. Astra was a great place to work, very friendly, cooperative and generally very positive; nothing like the confrontational place where the motivating forces are fear and paranoia that it is now.

Too bad I can't quote both of you. Level headed, direct and without all the sarcasm other posts have. I think the real unfortunate souls (other than those that get stuck in unemployment) will be those who stay. I pray for one of the jobs I have interviewed for along with a severance. That would be my little version of hitting the lotto!

Are you interviewing for pharma posisitions??