Why does my manager always act?

Anonymous

Honestly. I was at a meeting this week and we all talked about how our manager simply acts "fake." I feel like I am at a revival session. Why do all these loud, opinionated, gesture crazy people get promoted? Get out of my "space!" I really don't need your "cheerleading" to get the point of your comments. I have forgotten more about the business of my customers than you will ever know. Does anyone else get so frustrated at meetings. I am relatively new to Pfizer, but this last year has been an eye opener. Is it just my idiotic boss or is this more common? I truly want to fall asleep at some points just to prove to him he is that boring!
My manager has been with the company for many years. However, he does not understand the ACA impact on practices; he does not understand the reimbursement changes going on; he does not have a CLUE about how our product promotions and use tie into the previous, and he DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE ANY IDEA HOW OUT OF TOUCH HE IS! AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

<

Honestly. I was at a meeting this week and we all talked about how our manager simply acts "fake." I feel like I am at a revival session. Why do all these loud, opinionated, gesture crazy people get promoted? Get out of my "space!" I really don't need your "cheerleading" to get the point of your comments. I have forgotten more about the business of my customers than you will ever know. Does anyone else get so frustrated at meetings. I am relatively new to Pfizer, but this last year has been an eye opener. Is it just my idiotic boss or is this more common? I truly want to fall asleep at some points just to prove to him he is that boring!
My manager has been with the company for many years. However, he does not understand the ACA impact on practices; he does not understand the reimbursement changes going on; he does not have a CLUE about how our product promotions and use tie into the previous, and he DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE ANY IDEA HOW OUT OF TOUCH HE IS! AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

Be grateful that your interactions are "usually" limited to occasional meetings and a ride along once (or maybe) twice a month. With most jobs your boss is on top of your butt everyday in the same office. Count your blessings-you ride in the car (by yourself) seeing your accounts 95% of the time. Try to look at it that way. Sometimes you don't realize how lucky you have it until things change... and the next job/boos ain't so good! Lots of people would love to be in your shoes. If your boss is that bad then you have a decision to make (should I stay or should I go).

Be grateful that your interactions are "usually" limited to occasional meetings and a ride along once (or maybe) twice a month. With most jobs your boss is on top of your butt everyday in the same office. Count your blessings-you ride in the car (by yourself) seeing your accounts 95% of the time. Try to look at it that way. Sometimes you don't realize how lucky you have it until things change... and the next job/boos ain't so good! Lots of people would love to be in your shoes. If your boss is that bad then you have a decision to make (should I stay or should I go).

So true! I can't tell you how many of my friends who work in offices wish they had my job/hours/freedom/benefits (car, etc). I'm not complaining. It's not the best job in the world, but it sure as heck isn't the worst! Enjoy it while we can.

The responses are right.

Managers are sometimes shocking to the mind in how out of touch and useless they can be but...

...they have to bridge the divide between reps and upper management. That is their real job. To filter the crap that roles down hill to reps - Some are better at it than others. Some get overcome by it, others thrive on it.

When you see your boss acting like that, does it make you want his job?

If yes, you are a class A con man. If no, you have a shred of dignity left in you. Be happy and do your job. Be glad that you don't have to do his.

Welcome to the Company! All of the above posters are correct and spot on.
Just try & deal with it. Before you know it, you have 5, 10 years in if your are lucky and the benefits/pros outweigh the cons.

The responses are right.

Managers are sometimes shocking to the mind in how out of touch and useless they can be but...

...they have to bridge the divide between reps and upper management. That is their real job. To filter the crap that roles down hill to reps - Some are better at it than others. Some get overcome by it, others thrive on it.

When you see your boss acting like that, does it make you want his job?

If yes, you are a class A con man. If no, you have a shred of dignity left in you. Be happy and do your job. Be glad that you don't have to do his.

Filter is a very good word. I tried to do the best I could, and when I had to present something to my team I didn't agree with, I told them I may not like it- but it's what they want upstairs. If you're honest with your team, they respect you more and I feel do a better job. Treat people like adults, respect their business acumen and everyone is happy. Shit does flow downhill and the DMs are only a little bit above the bottom-if you know what I mean. Oh and BTW-most (if not all) of my reps do not want to be DMs. They see the crap I have to put up with. It's not all as rosy as some of you may think.

yea those admin days 2-3 times/week must suck

Go for a DM job and see how wonderful it is. Reps with tenure make just as much, have better bonuses and have 25% of the bullsh*t to put up with. The one benefit is your own room at meetings. And who has 2-3 admin days a week. If your boss does, I'd like to know how he gets away with it. My RM reviewed/counted coaching guides and days in the field (besides sending comments back on them). Can't do 2-3 days home and get away with it when you are looked at like that. Also, I'm sure everyone reading this works five days a week and 8-5. Be honest and ask your teammates who would want to be a DM. I'm sure you would be surprised at their answers. Interesting that your take on the job is 2-3 admin days a week.

This company used to have great leaders in the DM and RM ranks, real people who pushed you to get real results and supported you if you performed.

Right around the end of 2005/early 2006, this company changed. The looming patent cliffs of Aricept and Lipitor coupled with losing Zoloft and having to pull Bextra made the company culture shift to a touchy-feely, CYA sham of ass kissing and window dressing.

With no clear direction on how to continue this company on a growth trend after torcetrapib failed, it officially became a joke and laughingstock when looking at who the ELT bought over here/ Good managers left and went to companies with brighter futures. The good regional Directors were displaced by charlatains who had no clue how to manage 150-200 people and only cared about looking good.

By 2010 this company was truly being run by idiots who probably couldn't get a library card if they tried. We were singing and dancing at meetings and playing "Minute to Win it". An absolute fucking joke

Your manager today "acts" because that's what they are supposed to do. Its what the job here has become. Its all there is left to do because now its all about self preservation. If you can still filter out the BS that gets dumped on you like a firehose hooked up directly to a free stall barn, more power to you.

Otherwise, get out and find a real job

This company used to have great leaders in the DM and RM ranks, real people who pushed you to get real results and supported you if you performed.

Right around the end of 2005/early 2006, this company changed. The looming patent cliffs of Aricept and Lipitor coupled with losing Zoloft and having to pull Bextra made the company culture shift to a touchy-feely, CYA sham of ass kissing and window dressing.

With no clear direction on how to continue this company on a growth trend after torcetrapib failed, it officially became a joke and laughingstock when looking at who the ELT bought over here/ Good managers left and went to companies with brighter futures. The good regional Directors were displaced by charlatains who had no clue how to manage 150-200 people and only cared about looking good.

By 2010 this company was truly being run by idiots who probably couldn't get a library card if they tried. We were singing and dancing at meetings and playing "Minute to Win it". An absolute fucking joke

Your manager today "acts" because that's what they are supposed to do. Its what the job here has become. Its all there is left to do because now its all about self preservation. If you can still filter out the BS that gets dumped on you like a firehose hooked up directly to a free stall barn, more power to you.

Otherwise, get out and find a real job

Thanks for the recap. Came over with the Wyeth takeover so this bulls**t we put up with is all I know about this company. Must have been nice pre-2005!

Sounds like Jeff Lovell. Like they say... His dad is an astronaut, but he's no rocket scientist!!

Go for a DM job and see how wonderful it is. Reps with tenure make just as much, have better bonuses and have 25% of the bullsh*t to put up with. The one benefit is your own room at meetings. And who has 2-3 admin days a week. If your boss does, I'd like to know how he gets away with it. My RM reviewed/counted coaching guides and days in the field (besides sending comments back on them). Can't do 2-3 days home and get away with it when you are looked at like that. Also, I'm sure everyone reading this works five days a week and 8-5. Be honest and ask your teammates who would want to be a DM. I'm sure you would be surprised at their answers. Interesting that your take on the job is 2-3 admin days a week.

Why kill yourself? It's my understanding that DBMs never get above an "at expectations" for their annual review no matter how well their district did. Am I wrong?

IMO, the easy thing about being a DBM is the almost complete lack of pressure and stress to perform mock details in front of their superiors and colleagues, as well as never having to detail a doctor on a ride-along if they choose not to. That's basically the most difficult part of the reps' job which drives us crazy. Talking to doctors and selling my drugs when not with a DBM is relatively easy. It's the idiotic scrutiny on ridealongs and POAs and National Meetings that make our jobs miserable. Managers do not have that direct stress.

If all I had to do was listen to an RM berate me once in a while, and for me to blow fake rainbow smoke up his ass just like we do with our DBMs, and to ride along with reps telling them they aren't doing everything on earth to get more scripts, and intimidating them into thinking they are expendable, and not having to improve every doctors script counts quarter after quarter, I would gladly trade my rep job yesterday to reduce my stress by a million percent.

I have thought it through and I can't truly imagine an easier job in the world than being a DBM. Yes, you are a peon in the grand scheme of things, but at least you don't have to work, just bug reps to sell more 3 or 4 days a week, and put together graphs for a demanding RM to get them off your ass. That's it. Plus a 6 figure paycheck and a car. Not bad at all.

Why kill yourself? It's my understanding that DBMs never get above an "at expectations" for their annual review no matter how well their district did. Am I wrong?

IMO, the easy thing about being a DBM is the almost complete lack of pressure and stress to perform mock details in front of their superiors and colleagues, as well as never having to detail a doctor on a ride-along if they choose not to. That's basically the most difficult part of the reps' job which drives us crazy. Talking to doctors and selling my drugs when not with a DBM is relatively easy. It's the idiotic scrutiny on ridealongs and POAs and National Meetings that make our jobs miserable. Managers do not have that direct stress.

If all I had to do was listen to an RM berate me once in a while, and for me to blow fake rainbow smoke up his ass just like we do with our DBMs, and to ride along with reps telling them they aren't doing everything on earth to get more scripts, and intimidating them into thinking they are expendable, and not having to improve every doctors script counts quarter after quarter, I would gladly trade my rep job yesterday to reduce my stress by a million percent.

I have thought it through and I can't truly imagine an easier job in the world than being a DBM. Yes, you are a peon in the grand scheme of things, but at least you don't have to work, just bug reps to sell more 3 or 4 days a week, and put together graphs for a demanding RM to get them off your ass. That's it. Plus a 6 figure paycheck and a car. Not bad at all.

So I guess you're going to apply for the next DM opening. Good luck

This is such a sad post and shows how delusional some reps are if they think this is all a DBM does. Like it was said before most don't earn much more than many tenured reps or DSRs and do much more than the above stated.

This is such a sad post and shows how delusional some reps are if they think this is all a DBM does. Like it was said before most don't earn much more than many tenured reps or DSRs and do much more than the above stated.

Then tell us what more do they do. The above poster seemed to nail it for me. Oh, yeah, they order starters, too.

Yes, I agree that the DBM better be ready to literally join a cult-like management team and style or you'll never get the job. This is why I would and could never become a DBM for Pfizer. I'm just not that married to my job and company. It's not in my nature, yet I do well as a DSR.

I wouldn't mind being a leader, but not here. There's just something toxic about this place. Just dealing with the corporate double-speak and mumbo jumbo at meetings, on teleconference webcasts, and POAs, are enough to make me sick.

If it doesn't make one sick, then the DBM gig ain't that hard to do, from what I see.

Then tell us what more do they do. The above poster seemed to nail it for me. Oh, yeah, they order starters, too.

Yes, I agree that the DBM better be ready to literally join a cult-like management team and style or you'll never get the job. This is why I would and could never become a DBM for Pfizer. I'm just not that married to my job and company. It's not in my nature, yet I do well as a DSR.

I wouldn't mind being a leader, but not here. There's just something toxic about this place. Just dealing with the corporate double-speak and mumbo jumbo at meetings, on teleconference webcasts, and POAs, are enough to make me sick.

If it doesn't make one sick, then the DBM gig ain't that hard to do, from what I see.

Well I guess you have two choices. Stick around and wait for the inevitable ax…or go somewhere else and become a leader. If you truly have the ability and drive, then choice two would be the answer. Pfizer does suck as a company but that doesn't mean you have to stay here. It's not like you're going to spend your whole career here and retire well.

Well I guess you have two choices. Stick around and wait for the inevitable ax…or go somewhere else and become a leader. If you truly have the ability and drive, then choice two would be the answer. Pfizer does suck as a company but that doesn't mean you have to stay here. It's not like you're going to spend your whole career here and retire well.

True. Very smart advice. My lack of leaving is mainly grounded in the golden handcuff theory.