Who's jumping ship at Ethicon?

<

Why are EES leaving? Ethicon, Inc. losing tons of people. New territory changes have reps calling on territories 2+ hours from their homes, all unfamiliar accounts, massive sized territories. And then management says "we need to get off to a fast start"....unbelievable.

Why are EES leaving? Ethicon, Inc. losing tons of people. New territory changes have reps calling on territories 2+ hours from their homes, all unfamiliar accounts, massive sized territories. And then management says "we need to get off to a fast start"....unbelievable.

Oh no 2+ hours from your house? "Wah my pharma job was a territory that was 8 minutes from my house. "

This is the reason ethicon is referred to as "the pharma of medical sales".

Not the farthest account is 2 hours away, the closest is 2 hours away. For example, the hospital that is 10 minutes from my house is now covered by a rep 2 states and 3 hours away from me.

I am hearing so many people are quitting that I can't keep track. List names here!

Wow, I just checked out this post because I am a tenured Med Sales rep wanting to join a JNJ company, like Ethicon. Large territories don't bother me, but getting hired by JNJ seems hard. Don't they like old guys with tons of experience? Advice?

Wow, I just checked out this post because I am a tenured Med Sales rep wanting to join a JNJ company, like Ethicon. Large territories don't bother me, but getting hired by JNJ seems hard. Don't they like old guys with tons of experience? Advice?

It's just jumping threw hoops to get anywhere. Prepare to be bored and drink the Koolaid. There's a lot of different divisions under the Ethicon name. I work for Ethicon Endo and my biggest beef is all the Koolaid drinking and lack of innovation. I'm bored.

It's just jumping threw hoops to get anywhere. Prepare to be bored and drink the Koolaid. There's a lot of different divisions under the Ethicon name. I work for Ethicon Endo and my biggest beef is all the Koolaid drinking and lack of innovation. I'm bored.

You jump threw hoops? Now I know we are hosed

Its beyond bad right now. No comp plan still and territories are a mess. If you make money in Total Suture, CV or Syn Abs its due to 95% luck 5% hard works. Prineo is really a niche product, TSM is played out, Dermabond is a commodity and most people have Securestrap fully converted. I really dont know how any of us are going to make money in 2012. I bet the average variable comp next year is 35K. The only people who are making money are reps who lives in parts of the US where cases are up with little to no competition. Good Luck to everyone we are going to need it.

Its beyond bad right now. No comp plan still and territories are a mess. If you make money in Total Suture, CV or Syn Abs its due to 95% luck 5% hard works. Prineo is really a niche product, TSM is played out, Dermabond is a commodity and most people have Securestrap fully converted. I really dont know how any of us are going to make money in 2012. I bet the average variable comp next year is 35K. The only people who are making money are reps who lives in parts of the US where cases are up with little to no competition. Good Luck to everyone we are going to need it.

wow you couldn't be further from the truth here..the 2012 comp plan is legit!

wow you couldn't be further from the truth here..the 2012 comp plan is legit!

Really? I was just on the conference call for comp. There is no way anyone is going to make money in Plus or Dermabond. 3% for converting whatever DBond accounts are left to Advanced....Dermabond threats and losses left and right.
Secure strap? Only if you have a territory that wasn't highly converted last year. CV? Ha ha ha. Only for the few and fortunate. Ethicon isn't even mentioning to reps that they will lose all of the valve business this year to the suture-less technique from europe. Just ask your CV surgeons.
I think $35,000 sounds right.

Really? I was just on the conference call for comp. There is no way anyone is going to make money in Plus or Dermabond. 3% for converting whatever DBond accounts are left to Advanced....Dermabond threats and losses left and right.
Secure strap? Only if you have a territory that wasn't highly converted last year. CV? Ha ha ha. Only for the few and fortunate. Ethicon isn't even mentioning to reps that they will lose all of the valve business this year to the suture-less technique from europe. Just ask your CV surgeons.
I think $35,000 sounds right.

What would you have liked to have seen in the comp plan?

What would you have liked to have seen in the comp plan?

Specifically for territories in the country that are significantly lower than the "Average Territory" size, a compensation plan that will keep reps interested.

The major problem here is that you have a centralized compensation plan and there are territories and area's in the country that DO NOT have the volume or growth potential.

For the 100% Ethicon penetrated territories, they should be offering a higher base salary with commission payouts adjusted accordingly for each unique situation. There are territories that are maxed out without significant growth potential which is the only way you can make decent commissions. Cherry picking a surgeon or two with Dermabond or CV does not give you the significant growth you need to get the big payouts.

The only way to significantly make money in this compensation plan is if you're lucky enough to have a competitive hospital sign a new contract with Ethicon suture so that you get the CV & PLUS business. Hernia is tapped out in many of the hospitals as Physiomesh and Securestrap were the driving force for last year and CSR's will make nothing unless there's a massive mesh contract win or a miraculous increase in volume.

Prineo has been separated from TSA, so that bucket is going to take a hit with the inevitable erosion of Dermabond Advanced. How about those Dermabond accounts that are Propen's? You're going to convert them to make $1 coin, but in essence destroy growth so you'll only be able to make the joke 3% chump change on it. The compensation plan is for territories with 900k in DB business. What about the territories that grew their DB business over forecast in 100% contracted territories and the total is just scratching the 500K range?

It's unfair any way you draw it up if you consistently put together centralized compensation plans in which a rep in Texas and a rep in Upstate NY have the same expectations for growth? Decentralize the compensation plans in accordance with each specific territory, or continue to lose people (which I think they want anyways since the company is going through massive restructuring and less reps will more than likely be the direction).

Forget all of the bullshit here, at the end of the day is it possible to make good money? For some fortunate territories yes, the answer for a lot of these smaller maxed out territories is no. There will always be areas in this country that big bucks will be made, for those sitting in those seats congratulations! For the overwhelming majority of reps in certain area's of maxed growth, this compensation plan just doesn't make sense.

The smaller territories that are not growing and/or have very little growth potential, yet need a rep to service the account, put more pay into the base salary and take some of the commissions out to balance the total compensation. There is a way you can balance it and if you want to hire and maintain young talent to grow and become eventual leaders, the only way you're going to keep the talent is to compensate them in a fair and balanced matter.

It's such an unfortunate mess right now, what a shame.

You must be somewhat new to Ethicon... I have a news flash for you. I left Ethicon many years ago and the same issue existed back then. You are playing in the Matrix. That's to say the comp plan works to the benefit of the system not for any one individual. If you are in a highly penetrated area, why would the company increase the base for the rep? The business is secure. You said so yourself.

The comp plan is written so about 10% of the sales force can have a good year. The other 90% are already leaving. This is what upper management really wants. They want fewer reps to have to pay severance when the merger hits and half the reps are let go. Why do you think there is a hiring freeze that never ends?
If you have a lot of time in with JNJ, wait it out to get the severance. If you don't, why are you still here?

Yep, you are dead on. They do want as many reps to quit before the merger, so it is less severance they would have to pay. I heard managers were going to get let go in July, but I think it is going to happen before that. Gary seems to be on the fast track to get all the right leadership in place ASAP!