When on a plan…t

anonymous

Seriously question- no need to stupid answers, please.

What happens at Novartis, and what does it entail, when a rep is put on a plan?

(sales numbers are meeting goals)

<

This was a long time ago but when I worked for Novartis, I was put on a PIP and managed to survive it. My numbers were decent but my DM and I couldn’t stand each other. He was an alcoholic, abusive asshat that was sleeping with his female reps despite having a beautiful young family.

The PIP was all bullshit and HR protected my DM. I knew I was on my way out.

What ended up happening was I switched sales forces - another DM took pity on me and hired me when he had an opening. When I was put on the plan, I made it well known that I was being targeted and that I was looking to get out. I won P club a year later.

Good luck.

Love that story, thanks for sharing.

of course hr protects the dm. And goodness; if my dm saw the shit that his/her favorites are doing daily! Lack of work, sometimes non compliance, maybe leaving house 2-3 times a week at most.

Seriously question- no need to stupid answers, please.

What happens at Novartis, and what does it entail, when a rep is put on a plan?

(sales numbers are meeting goals)

What you didn't outline is why you were put on a plan (put another way, what is your manager alleging).
I have no doubt they could find five people on your team doing the same thing, but what is the rationale behind the PIP?
Its a lot of extra work for the manager, so are you sure the regional isn't after you?

It's crucial to assess your situation thoroughly. Ask yourself if you can realistically address the points outlined in your performance plan and whether doing so will positively impact your relationship with your manager. Consider whether your manager is resolute in parting ways with you, and if so, if there's anything you can do to change their perspective. If your performance metrics are solid yet you find yourself on a plan, it likely indicates a deeper issue unrelated to your numbers. Remember, it's not personal; your manager's decision might be driven by team dynamics rather than your abilities alone.

My suggestion is to proactively begin exploring new opportunities. Seek out a company and a manager with whom you resonate better. Remember, your current situation doesn't define you, and there are plenty of other avenues where you can thrive professionally.

It's crucial to assess your situation thoroughly. Ask yourself if you can realistically address the points outlined in your performance plan and whether doing so will positively impact your relationship with your manager. Consider whether your manager is resolute in parting ways with you, and if so, if there's anything you can do to change their perspective. If your performance metrics are solid yet you find yourself on a plan, it likely indicates a deeper issue unrelated to your numbers. Remember, it's not personal; your manager's decision might be driven by team dynamics rather than your abilities alone.

My suggestion is to proactively begin exploring new opportunities. Seek out a company and a manager with whom you resonate better. Remember, your current situation doesn't define you, and there are plenty of other avenues where you can thrive professionally.

"Remember, its not personal".
This destroys the credibility of everything else you said.
Are you alleging that PIP's have never been personal? Do you know enough about this one to make that kind of claim?
I've seen it, and so has everyone else who has been around long enough.
It can absolutely be personal.

"Remember, its not personal".
This destroys the credibility of everything else you said.
Are you alleging that PIP's have never been personal? Do you know enough about this one to make that kind of claim?
I've seen it, and so has everyone else who has been around long enough.
It can absolutely be personal.
If numbers are decent, or even in line with the rest of the Area, there’s nothing else it could be but personal.

Ok, I’m not the OP, but I’ll bite. If their numbers are good, what reason could there be for putting them on a PIP that isn’t personal?

Expense reports. Mileage/gascard. Call averages. Fake call entry. "Unprofessional behavior" in front of accounts.

That is an extremely short list of what they can get you on. The system is structured so they can get you out anytime they feel like it. If senior management wanted to review every single rep in the country, they wouldn't have anyone left.

Any and all of those things are used when it does get personal, as numbers are so deeply flawed here it's probably the last thing they would try to PIP someone on.

I once saw a rep win a national award while on a PIP. In fact, I saw it more than once.

Chances are you really didn't do anything that everyone on your team isn't doing. That doesn't change the fact that you better read the writing on the wall and get out fast.

Expense reports. Mileage/gascard. Call averages. Fake call entry. "Unprofessional behavior" in front of accounts.

That is an extremely short list of what they can get you on. The system is structured so they can get you out anytime they feel like it. If senior management wanted to review every single rep in the country, they wouldn't have anyone left.

Any and all of those things are used when it does get personal, as numbers are so deeply flawed here it's probably the last thing they would try to PIP someone on.

I once saw a rep win a national award while on a PIP. In fact, I saw it more than once.

Chances are you really didn't do anything that everyone on your team isn't doing. That doesn't change the fact that you better read the writing on the wall and get out fast.
All of those are pretty damn personal.

All of those are pretty damn personal.

What is personal about call activity? Some of managers monitor activity daily. My ABL who uses to work in a different therapeutic area was stupid enough to disclose that. If someone (outside of a non sampling rep) has a pattern of days without sampling that will raise a red flag, or samples calls only at lunches or lunchtime. Pulling gas logs and seeing if someone got gas out of territory during work hours or if the mileage
Is way off. Looking at toll receipts with a fine tooth comb. If there is a suspicion that someone isn’t “working” these are just a few things they can do to check on the rep. Even if someone’s numbers are good and they suspect you aren’t working they have many tools to check on you. It’s so sad that a manager would do this but don’t put it past them. Last comment - when a person goes on a PIP they have to have reasons stated in the PIP and action plans developed and coaching in place to help the rep meet the expectations they aren’t currently meeting

What is personal about call activity? Some of managers monitor activity daily. My ABL who uses to work in a different therapeutic area was stupid enough to disclose that. If someone (outside of a non sampling rep) has a pattern of days without sampling that will raise a red flag, or samples calls only at lunches or lunchtime. Pulling gas logs and seeing if someone got gas out of territory during work hours or if the mileage
Is way off. Looking at toll receipts with a fine tooth comb. If there is a suspicion that someone isn’t “working” these are just a few things they can do to check on the rep. Even if someone’s numbers are good and they suspect you aren’t working they have many tools to check on you. It’s so sad that a manager would do this but don’t put it past them. Last comment - when a person goes on a PIP they have to have reasons stated in the PIP and action plans developed and coaching in place to help the rep meet the expectations they aren’t currently meeting

First you are misinformed. A manager cannot just target someone by pulling records and calls. If he/she does it to one he has to do to all and disclose it to the district or he will be going against every HR policy and privacy laws. The short of it, he is wide open for a law suit. Ditto following or having someone follow a rep around another big No, No. In many cases PIP are nothing but personal vendettas or brought on by Regionals to thin the region. W/W's are totally subjective so it could be as easy as a Manager saying "Rep isn't improving w/ messaging after 3-4 ride alongs which is totally subjective. This is just one of the things wrong w/ this Industry is the pettiness and subjectivity of mgt.

Don't ever put it past them. Don't ever put it past your regional director. The most important thing that you will do in this job is stay on their good side.
It sucks. Its childish. Its embarrassing. Its also how this profession works.
Don't ever assume that a strong performance gets you anything, because as soon as your manager is sufficiently pissed at you, you're finished.

First you are misinformed. A manager cannot just target someone by pulling records and calls. If he/she does it to one he has to do to all and disclose it to the district or he will be going against every HR policy and privacy laws. The short of it, he is wide open for a law suit. Ditto following or having someone follow a rep around another big No, No. In many cases PIP are nothing but personal vendettas or brought on by Regionals to thin the region. W/W's are totally subjective so it could be as easy as a Manager saying "Rep isn't improving w/ messaging after 3-4 ride alongs which is totally subjective. This is just one of the things wrong w/ this Industry is the pettiness and subjectivity of mgt.

YOU are misinformed. What HR policy is a manager violating if they look at your calendar in Veeva daily? They can look at your tolls through an expense report. They can call offices to see the last time a rep has been in the office (I know managers who have done this) and compare it to activity. Won’t work in larger offices or hospitals but it will in smaller ones. If a manager has a reason to believe someone isn’t working they have every right to look into activity - with the help of HR or HR’s knowledge. Speaking from experience

My advice go on mental disability. It buys you 6 months of pay. Use that time to find a new job and then tell your manger to kiss your ass. You will never win if a manager wants you gone. Unless you are black or a transgender.

You’re on a plan. They made it clear they want you gone. What more needs to be said?

Go get a higher paying job at a better company. Then watch your NVS “friends” will come out of the woodwork on LI.

You’re on a plan. They made it clear they want you gone. What more needs to be said?

Go get a higher paying job at a better company. Then watch your NVS “friends” will come out of the woodwork on LI.
Very true. Only thing I’ll add is best revenge on your loser mgr is to please his wife which he is incapable of doing. Just some extra icing on the cake.