• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

Way too much middle management

Anonymous

I don't know about the other divisions, but eye care has way too much middle management. There is no reason to have 2 day ride alongs every 3 weeks and with the realignment these managers are Bothering our customers way too much. Access to offices is being shut down left and Right because our accounts are tired of seeing us with our manager. It's just a different dynamic when you are working with someone than when you're alone. So not only do our accounts have 3-4 reps from one company calling on them, they have our manager in their office 2-3 times a month. I would start to shut down access too. Hire the right sales reps who can be trusted and get rid of half the managers who offer very little value.

<

I don't know about the other divisions, but eye care has way too much middle management. There is no reason to have 2 day ride alongs every 3 weeks and with the realignment these managers are Bothering our customers way too much. Access to offices is being shut down left and Right because our accounts are tired of seeing us with our manager. It's just a different dynamic when you are working with someone than when you're alone. So not only do our accounts have 3-4 reps from one company calling on them, they have our manager in their office 2-3 times a month. I would start to shut down access too. Hire the right sales reps who can be trusted and get rid of half the managers who offer very little value.

Maybe a 1/3 can go. Mainly because I think a full 97 reps can be let go and each AM can then pick up another 1-2 territories. The AM job will never go and to be honest they do more than you think for your business. MOST reps just don't put the work in to even understand their own business.

They do not do more than we think! I have worked in the NE for over a decade and I have had these conversations with my AM and he doesn't do anything. It's one of the cushier jobs available. Let's just agree that they used to have a real job and it slowly eroded when responsibilities went to marketing, ECBA's and RAM's. Now their only responsibility is to badger my doctors a few times a month and pretend to justify their job.

They do not do more than we think! I have worked in the NE for over a decade and I have had these conversations with my AM and he doesn't do anything. It's one of the cushier jobs available. Let's just agree that they used to have a real job and it slowly eroded when responsibilities went to marketing, ECBA's and RAM's. Now their only responsibility is to badger my doctors a few times a month and pretend to justify their job.

Ok...right. You obviously have been here for a decade and obviously 1. Don't have a clue what they do outside of your car or 2. Have a disjointed partnership with YOUR AM.

Take it easy there. I guess someone's feelings were hurt. Well, you AM's do go to meetings where the corporate gang tells you how to teach us at the meetings. You also write up BS coaching reports so it looks like progression of sales development so you can take all of the credit and you bully your reps until you get your way. Did I miss anything? I have been here a decade, back when Zymar got killed because Alcon sold Vigamox to everyone and not just ophthalmologists. You AM'd need to get a clue that we hate all of you behind your backs.

Take it easy there. I guess someone's feelings were hurt. Well, you AM's do go to meetings where the corporate gang tells you how to teach us at the meetings. You also write up BS coaching reports so it looks like progression of sales development so you can take all of the credit and you bully your reps until you get your way. Did I miss anything? I have been here a decade, back when Zymar got killed because Alcon sold Vigamox to everyone and not just ophthalmologists. You AM'd need to get a clue that we hate all of you behind your backs.

I'd have to say that your above post is a hypocrital argument. You say your AM does one thing to gain a certain perception, on the other hand you do one thing in front of them and a whole different when your not ("behind your backs") ..if you hate the way we're organized and the AM YOU WORK FOR so much...why did you stay a decade? Kinda seems like backwards thinking to me.

Ok...right. You obviously have been here for a decade and obviously 1. Don't have a clue what they do outside of your car or 2. Have a disjointed partnership with YOUR AM.

OR, you may one of the twenty reps in eye care who has a decent manager.

(Or you are a manager-trying to justify your lousy existence)

Exactly! BULLY. The docs, bully the reps. Worthless group of do-nothing's with my current one being the worst ever. I am on my 6th in 17th years I do know the difference in a good manager and a crappy one.

At least you have some management in eye care. In Medical, we have a ridiculous frenchie who is watching the collapse around, over, and under him of the business - Frecnh version of leadership at work.

And without management...who would identify the 30% of the reps who are garbage and couldn't sell water in the desert??

O I'm sorry this is eyecare...meant more like 80%

The newly designed eyecare territories this year were a huge mistake by allergan management. I like the idea of each pod only having one manager, but these managers are in our territories twice as much. Doctors don't mind having a manger visit once in a while. But now they are seeing them 2 times or sometimes more a month. Access is getting harder and harder and I'm finding offices putting rules around seeing the doctors where access was good. Half the managers can be cut. That's my opinion. We would still have co travels every 6 weeks instead of every 3. It's overkill and not progressive as other pharma companies have already figured this out. Some companies eliminated area managers all together and only have regional managers.