• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Thoughts on Pfizer Retiree Medical Plan

The Pfizer Retiree Medical can only be used for very specific selections.
For Medicare, you can select a Rx Plan and you can select a United Healthcare Advantage Plan. Those are your only choices for Medicare.
Please use due diligence before you decide to use an Advantage plan. You may regret it.

We have the UHC and Rx plan for several years and are very happy.The coverage has actually improved over the past 2 or 3 years and the monthly premium has decreased a bit. Currently $225 total for my wife an I.

We have the UHC and Rx plan for several years and are very happy.The coverage has actually improved over the past 2 or 3 years and the monthly premium has decreased a bit. Currently $225 total for my wife an I.
It’s a great thing that you are happy.
Any surgery that is ordered for Advantage plan must go through prior approval. A committee will decide if it is medically necessary.

It’s a great thing that you are happy.
Any surgery that is ordered for Advantage plan must go through prior approval. A committee will decide if it is medically necessary.
The retiree medical benefit is a joke. The funds that have been set aside for each of us can only be used for very limited choices. The only Medicare option is United Advantage Plan. Good physicians do not accept it. Many Major hospitals do not accept it. Any procedures must have prior approval to determine if it is medically necessary. It is their job to deny requests until the patient is in advanced disease state. Disgusting.

The retiree medical benefit is a joke. The funds that have been set aside for each of us can only be used for very limited choices. The only Medicare option is United Advantage Plan. Good physicians do not accept it. Many Major hospitals do not accept it. Any procedures must have prior approval to determine if it is medically necessary. It is their job to deny requests until the patient is in advanced disease state. Disgusting.

You sound like you have Aetna or Humana which many healthcare providers DO NOT ACCEPT. I've had the Pfizer UHC Advantage Plan for going on 12 years now and NEVER had to get pre-approvals! Secondly most UHC Advantage Plans carry a hefty annual deductible of $6,000 - $8,000 for an individual policy. PFE's is $1,500! You will appreciate that when you get older. I have yet to find one physician/group or hospital that does not accept UHC Medicare Advantage Plan in the DMV.

You sound like you have Aetna or Humana which many healthcare providers DO NOT ACCEPT. I've had the Pfizer UHC Advantage Plan for going on 12 years now and NEVER had to get pre-approvals! Secondly most UHC Advantage Plans carry a hefty annual deductible of $6,000 - $8,000 for an individual policy. PFE's is $1,500! You will appreciate that when you get older. I have yet to find one physician/group or hospital that does not accept UHC Medicare Advantage Plan in the DMV.
An entire hospital system in my town does not accept United Advantage Plan - including my oncologist. I needed surgery and it was denied by United Advantage Plan- deemed unnecessary.

An entire hospital system in my town does not accept United Advantage Plan - including my oncologist. I needed surgery and it was denied by United Advantage Plan- deemed unnecessary.
If you are hanging on to your Pfizer job to receive their retiree medical benefits, take my advice and don’t bother.
The United Healthcare Advantage plan is not accepted by the best doctors in my area. And entire hospital systems do not accept it. What Pfizer has done is a crying shame.