• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

The DEI layoff

A lot of drama here over mostly nothing.

Some historically disadvantaged groups get hired to increase the appearance of diversity in the workplace. Especially at the more entry level, non management positions. It also also sometimes harder to let these people go without documenting years of performance issues due to HR avoidance of discrimination lawsuits.

However this is counter balanced by white men failing upwards through the “old buddy” network.

For people with talent it’s a net wash and not something that that really impacts their employment.

A lot of drama here over mostly nothing.

Some historically disadvantaged groups get hired to increase the appearance of diversity in the workplace. Especially at the more entry level, non management positions. It also also sometimes harder to let these people go without documenting years of performance issues due to HR avoidance of discrimination lawsuits.

However this is counter balanced by white men failing upwards through the “old buddy” network.

For people with talent it’s a net wash and not something that that really impacts their employment.

Agree with some of what you said, but for people who are assumed to be unqualified and remaining employed because of their race, it doesn't feel like "drama" or "mostly nothing."

Agree with some of what you said, but for people who are assumed to be unqualified and remaining employed because of their race, it doesn't feel like "drama" or "mostly nothing."

If you expect to be hired and promoted because of your race/gender and expect not to be part of layoffs due to the same, one just might have reason to believe that is the factor behind your employment rather than your ability.

live by DEI, die by DEI.

There are some tokens, and also plenty of qualified people. Just like there are poor performers of every race that stay employed somehow.

One needs to try and have confidence and not spend too much time worrying about what others think. Someone thinks you were a diversity hire? Who cares, so long as you are performing well and your manager rewards that performance.

Back to the OP, it’s laughable that any company of more than like 50 people would target African Americans. Instant lawsuit. The first thing HR and reorg consultants do is make sure the layoffs are balanced in terms of ethnicity, age, etc. That comes before performance.

Not looking for any replies on this thread. I just want to say I am truly disgusted at how many AA were laid off. In the words of my 5 year old, something smells very fishy. I am hurt for everyone that was laid off, but again the amount of AA that was laid off does not make sense.

Biogen’s focus on AA is so 2020. Can you not discern from the half dozen outlook invitations that come daily that LGBTQ is the new diversity measure? AA alone simply is not diverse enough for Biogen.

Grant should have been let go six years ago.... Horrible DM and a horrible person. I laughed and laughed then made about 10 calls to people who joined in with that news. She's a toxic bad person.... Buh Bye!

By far the worst manager to ever......I mean ever to work at Biogen. And that's saying alot.