• Mon news: Pfizer wins legal patent battle over GSK. Hospitals face hurricane-induced IV shortages. Activist investor takes $1B stake in Pfizer. MicroRNA pioneers win Nobel. Jude Bio debuts with $100M. See more on our front page

South SF location-a good culture?

<

To reply to the above assmuches..

Where else do you suggest I seek honest and first hand advice? HR feeds candidates BS, and hiring managers will skirt around the issues.....

You will be asked to work yourself to death and then thrown aside when all used up. The culture is very passive agressive with most managers (by title only, they have no clue how to manage) actively looking for their next career move with no interest in managing their current department/staff. If you flourish in a culture where you have to do your job with little or no guidance, your bosses job and your bosses favorites jobs and be "held accountable" when anything they were supposed to do goes wrong, then no problem.

Its so expensive to live in SSF that you will probably need to commute 2 hours each way each day from the hot boring valley, but no worry the company provides comuter vans, but there is a waiting list to get on one.

The positives are you get to put Genentech on your resume and the medical benefits are very good. If you can suck it up for 2 years and move on then go for it. SSRI's are a big help as well.

PS - There is no work life balance, that is just a rumor started by a Genentech PR campaign.

Signed - "Free At Last"

worked there for 1 1/2 years, never have i met angrier people in my life, no one trains you then they complain when things are not done correctly. esp angry gay people, the culture is really gross and disgusting, filthy people, HR dept is very rascist

Heavily into offshoring. Work you like a dog and will flog a dead horse, if they think there is a possibility you might stir and pull a cart a little while longer. No work-life balance, no blanace at all. Modern day sweat shop.

I'm in SSF and have To disagree with the craziness above. Yes, we do work long hours, but that's life. Most managers are good, but like any company some are better than others. I work with people who try their best everyday. Yes, politics exists but I believe that is everywhere. I came from an East Coast big pharma and like the culture here much better. Good luck!

GNE today is like most other big pharmas. A select few can do no wrong while the vast majority have to prove themselves at Genentech. I have often heard VPs say, "that if you have not done it here, you have not done it." So you get tenured marketing directors doing another marketing role and DMs from PFE, LLY, SNY and WYE repeating DM roles.

Overall, still one of the best places to work. However, GNE is regressing to the mean and not leading the charge.

Heavily into offshoring. Work you like a dog and will flog a dead horse, if they think there is a possibility you might stir and pull a cart a little while longer. No work-life balance, no blanace at all. Modern day sweat shop.

You really pinned it. Managers also involve themselves in too many meeting just to fill their Google calendars, look busy and blame the other guy with all justifications that he/she had too much on the plate to handle. Putting it nicely, it is not great place to work.

Marketing is a back-stabbing, petty culture on the Avastin Team being led by the sad 'leadership' of Tom C. who sets the tone for the bad culture. His insecurities and focus on the superficial is what drives the insanity.