• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Salary for Metabolic Sales team openings

Anonymous

Hi, I am trying to get a realistic idea of what the range in salary is for these openings. I saw that someone said 65K with 20k commission?

That seems really low to me for a specialty position? Is that accurate. I have heard that the new drug Belviq sounds promising, so I am interested for that reason. ALso being a smaller pharma company I don't have to deal with the big pharma headaches, or at least not as much.

I have seen a lot of posts about people miserable here, but I hear that at all pharma companies...

Can someone give me some insight?

Thanks for your honesty

<

Hi, I am trying to get a realistic idea of what the range in salary is for these openings. I saw that someone said 65K with 20k commission?

That seems really low to me for a specialty position? Is that accurate. I have heard that the new drug Belviq sounds promising, so I am interested for that reason. ALso being a smaller pharma company I don't have to deal with the big pharma headaches, or at least not as much.

I have seen a lot of posts about people miserable here, but I hear that at all pharma companies...

Thanks for your honesty

I know people hired anywhere between 46-79/year in primary care. Good luck getting 65.

Thanks for your honesty

Here's your honest reply. The 65K plus 20K commission is pretty much on target. My DM hired someone about 6 months ago and during the process I had recommended a friend who wanted to leave the company she was working for. My friend was experienced and my DM asked me how much I thought my friend was making because HR was telling him the max for a new rep was 70K. When I got hired 4 years ago, I got 85K to start. I was told at the time that that was the max. The person who hired me pressed for it because they wanted to hire me badly and HR let them give me the max for a new employee. The reason the salary is lower now is simply a matter of supply and demand. There are a lot of experienced pharma reps either unemployed, underemployed, or working in contract sales making 55K salary on a 1 or 2 year contract. Many of these reps are not only experienced but have documentable sales success and existing relationships in the territory of interest. So companies have come to realize, and correctly so, that they don't have to offer huge salaries (95k - 105K) to find decent sales talent. Just a sign of the times in the pharma industry and the job market in general. With regard to the 20k bonus, I have averaged that here every year for 4 years, BUT Belviq will be a brand new product so it's hard to say. Lastly, don't pay attention to the people on this board who grumble about it being the worst company etc.... I've worked for 4 pharma companies and like most other people who've worked for multiple companies will tell you, the bullshit's the same only the faces are different. Eisai is a good company to work for. They treat their people fairly, and if you like a small company culture where you can easily get noticed and where you can just walk right up to the VP of sales in the cafeteria at the home office or at a national meeting and have a conversation, then you will be happy here. The only wildcard, like any other company, is who you get as a DM. Most here are cool to work for, but there are a couple of bad ones. Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks for your honesty

So you think a total of $85k for doing a job that a 15 year old paperboy could handle is too low? Any pharma rep making more than minimum wage should consider it a dream job.

Here's your honest reply. The 65K plus 20K commission is pretty much on target. My DM hired someone about 6 months ago and during the process I had recommended a friend who wanted to leave the company she was working for. My friend was experienced and my DM asked me how much I thought my friend was making because HR was telling him the max for a new rep was 70K. When I got hired 4 years ago, I got 85K to start. I was told at the time that that was the max. The person who hired me pressed for it because they wanted to hire me badly and HR let them give me the max for a new employee. The reason the salary is lower now is simply a matter of supply and demand. There are a lot of experienced pharma reps either unemployed, underemployed, or working in contract sales making 55K salary on a 1 or 2 year contract. Many of these reps are not only experienced but have documentable sales success and existing relationships in the territory of interest. So companies have come to realize, and correctly so, that they don't have to offer huge salaries (95k - 105K) to find decent sales talent. Just a sign of the times in the pharma industry and the job market in general. With regard to the 20k bonus, I have averaged that here every year for 4 years, BUT Belviq will be a brand new product so it's hard to say. Lastly, don't pay attention to the people on this board who grumble about it being the worst company etc.... I've worked for 4 pharma companies and like most other people who've worked for multiple companies will tell you, the bullshit's the same only the faces are different. Eisai is a good company to work for. They treat their people fairly, and if you like a small company culture where you can easily get noticed and where you can just walk right up to the VP of sales in the cafeteria at the home office or at a national meeting and have a conversation, then you will be happy here. The only wildcard, like any other company, is who you get as a DM. Most here are cool to work for, but there are a couple of bad ones. Good luck, hope this helps.

You are awesome and I am not the OP. Refreshing!

Thank you for your thorough, but candid remarks. I am a former Endo rep who was displaced during our 9/21/12 layoff which was brutal and have applied to your company. Will be curious to see if there is any negotiation in the salary range as my base was higher, but your comments regarding the sign of the times is very true. Do you have any idea how soon your company is planning to do the current hiring process? Rumor is that it will be quick due to your company's upcoming POA next month. Any info on timeframe for the hiring process would be great. Tx and have a great day.

Thanks for your post, good stuff.

Pharma reps really need to think outside of this industry, especially when the pay is getting worse and worse.

As for the new product, it looks very flimsy.

Thanks for your post, good stuff.

Pharma reps really need to think outside of this industry, especially when the pay is getting worse and worse.

As for the new product, it looks very flimsy.

"Flimsy" ???
Yeah -- You should look elsewhere. We have enough stupidity around here. Flimsy? Huhh!! What a silly thing to say -

Thank you for your thorough, but candid remarks. I am a former Endo rep who was displaced during our 9/21/12 layoff which was brutal and have applied to your company. Will be curious to see if there is any negotiation in the salary range as my base was higher, but your comments regarding the sign of the times is very true. Do you have any idea how soon your company is planning to do the current hiring process? Rumor is that it will be quick due to your company's upcoming POA next month. Any info on timeframe for the hiring process would be great. Tx and have a great day.

Thanks to you and to others for the compliments regarding my long post which was an honest reply to the OP. It's unfortunate that this forum is too often used to hurl insults, vulgarity, and to display downright immaturity. Hopefully, my post and others like it, will serve as an example of what this forum should be about. Now to your question on the timeline. The information that you have in the way of a rumor is correct. Michael O'brien, our VP of Sales, has stated on voicemail and a conference call that the goal is to have as many of the positions filled as possible in order to have those people on board for the national meeting taking place in Orlando the week of 10/22. I guess it all depends on the DM and how on top of things they are and how quickly they phone screen, interview etc.... Please feel free to post any other questions and I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Good Luck!

Thanks to you and to others for the compliments regarding my long post which was an honest reply to the OP. It's unfortunate that this forum is too often used to hurl insults, vulgarity, and to display downright immaturity. Hopefully, my post and others like it, will serve as an example of what this forum should be about. Now to your question on the timeline. The information that you have in the way of a rumor is correct. Michael O'brien, our VP of Sales, has stated on voicemail and a conference call that the goal is to have as many of the positions filled as possible in order to have those people on board for the national meeting taking place in Orlando the week of 10/22. I guess it all depends on the DM and how on top of things they are and how quickly they phone screen, interview etc.... Please feel free to post any other questions and I will do my best to reply in a timely manner. Good Luck!

Thanks appreciate the info. I actually have an interview coming up and wonder how many people they will bring in for each position. This is for the epilepsy team. offers supposedly will be contingent on the approval on 10/22. Wonder if they will still bring those people to Orlando if the drug is being approved same day

Thanks appreciate the info. I actually have an interview coming up and wonder how many people they will bring in for each position. This is for the epilepsy team. offers supposedly will be contingent on the approval on 10/22. Wonder if they will still bring those people to Orlando if the drug is being approved same day

Your answer is no. Those of us on the epilepsy team were on a webex/conf call this afternoon with Michael O'brien (VP of Sales) regarding the new compensation structure and he said the new epilepsy hires will be coming on board in November. Sorry. It would have been a great opportunity for the newbies to meet everybody on the team since we will all be together in one place. But as long as Fycompa gets approved on 10/22 that will happen anyway when we all get together for a launch meeting sometime in 2013. BTW for those of you that are interviewing for epilepsy and eventually hired, I can tell you that internally folks are pretty confident it will get approved. We'll see......

Your answer is no. Those of us on the epilepsy team were on a webex/conf call this afternoon with Michael O'brien (VP of Sales) regarding the new compensation structure and he said the new epilepsy hires will be coming on board in November. Sorry. It would have been a great opportunity for the newbies to meet everybody on the team since we will all be together in one place. But as long as Fycompa gets approved on 10/22 that will happen anyway when we all get together for a launch meeting sometime in 2013. BTW for those of you that are interviewing for epilepsy and eventually hired, I can tell you that internally folks are pretty confident it will get approved. We'll see......

Are there internal people that are interviewing for this position? I would hate to go through all of this only to say it was filled internally? When I spoke with the hiring manager he seemed pretty confident it would be approved since it was approved recently in EU
Can you tell me what you think a compensation may be for someone hired for this team....ballpark?

Are there internal people that are interviewing for this position? I would hate to go through all of this only to say it was filled internally? When I spoke with the hiring manager he seemed pretty confident it would be approved since it was approved recently in EU
Can you tell me what you think a compensation may be for someone hired for this team....ballpark?

If you are an external candidate and you are being interviewed, then there are no internal applicants for the position. And before I go on, don't believe anyone who posts that what I just said is untrue. Trust me, if there is an internal candidate that lives in the territory or is willing to relocate there, they will get first preference. The only way an internal candidate would get it once they've begun screening external candidates, is if that person entered the process late in the game, maybe deciding at the last minute to relocate. Bottom line on this is that displaced reps who have not been placed will be terminated on September 30. Once in a while though you have someone in the home office that is in marketing or whatever that decides they want to be a rep. But like I said if they've moved on to external candidates then you can be very confident that there is no one internal that has applied or is acceptable. Regarding compensation, look at my previous long post, an honest reply to the OP in this thread. I know that about 6 months ago, the max salary for a new rep (experienced or not) was 70K. Whether or not they've changed that upward based on all of the open positions and the new products, I honestly don't know. The target bonus for the epilepsy team has been 26K and the new plan detailed today by the VP of sales is still 26K. If you are a decent rep who actually works 15 to 20 is very very doable. Now some advice, take it for what it's worth. In the past they've narrowed candidates down to 2. One is the leading candidate and the other a backup just in case the leading person blows it with the Reg. Director. If you make too much of a stink about the salary not being 80 or 85K or keep trying to nickel and dime them or pester them into giving you another 3K or whatever, they will start to factor that in as to whether or not you will be really happy with the job with what they are offering you. They may start to say to themselves, "you know, this person is good, he/she is our leading candidate, but they'll just take the job and start shopping around for a higher salary. So let's just go with the other person". Just my advice. Take it or leave it. Again, forgive the redundancy, but the max was 70K for a new rep recently. What it is today, I don't know. It's your judgement call, Good Luck!