Rep overtime case goes to Supreme Court

Anonymous

Supreme Court to Decide Overtime Fate for Pharmaceutical "Sales Representatives" -- JacksonWhite, Kingsley & Kingsley and Sanford Wittels & Heisler

The Court's decision could pave way for reps to receive back overtime pay

WASHINGTON, April 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On April 16, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in an important case under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Christopher v. SmithKline Beecham Corp. The specific question in the case is whether pharmaceutical sales representatives are eligible to receive overtime pay. The larger issue is the deference that is owed to the U.S. Department of Labor's interpretation of that statute.

The Fair Labor Standards Act and Department of Labor regulations require, in general, that employers pay 1.5 times an employee's regular hourly rate of pay for each hour worked in excess of 40 hours per week, unless the employee qualifies for an "exemption" from the overtime rules. One of those exemptions covers "outside salespersons," employees whose primary job duty is to sell products away from their employers' offices.

The Christopher case involves the overtime claims of pharmaceutical representatives who are employed by drug manufacturing giant GlaxoSmithKline, but who never received overtime pay despite working significantly more than 40 hours per week. The Glaxo reps visit doctors' offices on "detail calls," and promote Glaxo's products in the hope that doctors will prescribe and that patients will buy those products.

The sticking point is that the reps don't sell any pharmaceuticals to the physicians they visit. In fact, they are barred by federal law from doing so. So, while at a superficial glance, their work consists of some of the same activities as traditional salespeople, federal regulations actually prohibit them from selling their employer's drugs to doctors or anyone else.

The Department of Labor has weighed in, strongly supporting the reps' position.

Glaxo, like other drug manufacturers, nonetheless maintains that its representatives are exempt from overtime pay based on the "outside salesperson" exemption.

The Arizona law firm of JacksonWhite filed the lawsuit against Glaxo on behalf of plaintiffs Shane Christopher and Frank Buchanan. Shareholder Michael Pruitt argued the case before both the Federal District Court in Phoenix and a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. At the same time, Jeremy Heisler and David Sanford of the law firm of Sanford Wittels and Heisler were shepherding a parallel lawsuit against Novartis. The conflict between the 2nd Circuit, which ruled for the reps, and 9th Circuit, which ruled for the drug companies, set the stage for the successful appeal of the 9th Circuit's decision to the Supreme Court.

Now, numerous cases await the outcome of the April 16 argument. Since 2006, several similar cases have been filed against other pharmaceutical companies, including AstraZenica, Abbott Labs, Sanofi, and Pfizer. One of the firms involved in the Christopher case at the Supreme Court, Kingsley and Kingsley of Encino, California, is responsible for many of these cases.

If the Supreme Court holds that the Glaxo representatives are not outside salespersons, all three firms anticipate that many more plaintiffs will contact them to become part of class or collective actions against multiple drug manufacturers to recover overtime pay. The amounts at stake are very substantial. For example, In re Novartis settled last month for 99 million dollars.

The case will be argued by Supreme Court advocate Thomas Goldstein of Goldstein and Russell, P.C., in Washington, D.C. Goldstein is one of the nation's preeminent Supreme Court attorneys; this will be his 25th argument before the Supreme Court. Goldstein teaches Supreme Court Litigation at both Stanford and Harvard Law Schools. After much preparation, the team is cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the appeal. "We believe that the Supreme Court will agree that the Department of Labor's view that a salesperson must actually 'sell' something is entirely sound," Goldstein said.

The Supreme Court will likely issue a decision on the Christopher appeal in June 2012.

<

Supreme Court to Decide Overtime Fate for Pharmaceutical "Sales Representatives" -- JacksonWhite, Kingsley & Kingsley and Sanford Wittels & Heisler

The Court's decision could pave way for reps to receive back overtime pay

WASHINGTON, April 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On April 16, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in an important case under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Christopher v. SmithKline Beecham Corp. The specific question in the case is whether pharmaceutical sales representatives are eligible to receive overtime pay. The larger issue is the deference that is owed to the U.S. Department of Labor's interpretation of that statute.

The Fair Labor Standards Act and Department of Labor regulations require, in general, that employers pay 1.5 times an employee's regular hourly rate of pay for each hour worked in excess of 40 hours per week, unless the employee qualifies for an "exemption" from the overtime rules. One of those exemptions covers "outside salespersons," employees whose primary job duty is to sell products away from their employers' offices.

The Christopher case involves the overtime claims of pharmaceutical representatives who are employed by drug manufacturing giant GlaxoSmithKline, but who never received overtime pay despite working significantly more than 40 hours per week. The Glaxo reps visit doctors' offices on "detail calls," and promote Glaxo's products in the hope that doctors will prescribe and that patients will buy those products.

The sticking point is that the reps don't sell any pharmaceuticals to the physicians they visit. In fact, they are barred by federal law from doing so. So, while at a superficial glance, their work consists of some of the same activities as traditional salespeople, federal regulations actually prohibit them from selling their employer's drugs to doctors or anyone else.

The Department of Labor has weighed in, strongly supporting the reps' position.

Glaxo, like other drug manufacturers, nonetheless maintains that its representatives are exempt from overtime pay based on the "outside salesperson" exemption.

The Arizona law firm of JacksonWhite filed the lawsuit against Glaxo on behalf of plaintiffs Shane Christopher and Frank Buchanan. Shareholder Michael Pruitt argued the case before both the Federal District Court in Phoenix and a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. At the same time, Jeremy Heisler and David Sanford of the law firm of Sanford Wittels and Heisler were shepherding a parallel lawsuit against Novartis. The conflict between the 2nd Circuit, which ruled for the reps, and 9th Circuit, which ruled for the drug companies, set the stage for the successful appeal of the 9th Circuit's decision to the Supreme Court.

Now, numerous cases await the outcome of the April 16 argument. Since 2006, several similar cases have been filed against other pharmaceutical companies, including AstraZenica, Abbott Labs, Sanofi, and Pfizer. One of the firms involved in the Christopher case at the Supreme Court, Kingsley and Kingsley of Encino, California, is responsible for many of these cases.

If the Supreme Court holds that the Glaxo representatives are not outside salespersons, all three firms anticipate that many more plaintiffs will contact them to become part of class or collective actions against multiple drug manufacturers to recover overtime pay. The amounts at stake are very substantial. For example, In re Novartis settled last month for 99 million dollars.

The case will be argued by Supreme Court advocate Thomas Goldstein of Goldstein and Russell, P.C., in Washington, D.C. Goldstein is one of the nation's preeminent Supreme Court attorneys; this will be his 25th argument before the Supreme Court. Goldstein teaches Supreme Court Litigation at both Stanford and Harvard Law Schools. After much preparation, the team is cautiously optimistic about the outcome of the appeal. "We believe that the Supreme Court will agree that the Department of Labor's view that a salesperson must actually 'sell' something is entirely sound," Goldstein said.

The Supreme Court will likely issue a decision on the Christopher appeal in June 2012.

I'm not waiting and I'm not filing a suit. After being a rep for this company for over 15 years, I'm working 1/2 - 3/4 days to get back my time they took. Go ahead and beat me up for it, but you do what you want and I'll do it my way.

This decision, along with the Sunshine law, will change what's left of the rep job forever. Why do you think we are "empowered" now? Management can say, "Well, we left it up to the rep as to when they work - we didn't mandate anything"

This decision, along with the Sunshine law, will change what's left of the rep job forever. Why do you think we are "empowered" now? Management can say, "Well, we left it up to the rep as to when they work - we didn't mandate anything"

Don't forget the years of signing the minimum expectations agreement. While what you say is true about the empowerment B.S., they would trapped for those years at at least.

I don't think I ever knew a rep that put in a 40 hour week--52 weeks a year. Do you really want to get paid by the hour. If you are gett g$100,00 a year you are making $50 an hour. Your net income will be the same or less

To participate you have to sign up with the law firm representing BMS reps. I wouldn't do it , they emailed me and called me, but the company has been too good to us all. We all take time off whenever we want.
I get sick of all the bitching BMS is a great company, I left because pharmaceutical sales has become a sham...I hated it, but the company was good to me and my family for years!!!

To participate you have to sign up with the law firm representing BMS reps. I wouldn't do it , they emailed me and called me, but the company has been too good to us all. We all take time off whenever we want.
I get sick of all the bitching BMS is a great company, I left because pharmaceutical sales has become a sham...I hated it, but the company was good to me and my family for years!!!

I was a member in an overtime class action lawsuit brought by IBM employees against IBM. As a result, I received more than $13,000 for joining it. The suit brought by the employee's basically claimed IBM had mis-classified them as exempt, when the job duties they performed were in reality non-exempt work. I was contacted by mail by the law frim in San Francisco that represented the employee's. Since I lived on the east coast, I had never heard of the lawsuit, but I indicated I wanted to join the class by mailing back the postcard included in the info I received. The case was settled, it never made it to court.

For joining that lawsuit, I got 13G's in back OT pay. Pretty good, right? WRONG! IBM was very aware of who did, and didnot partcipate in the lawsuit. They had to know, because it was IBM that cut and mailed me my check. My manager told me he knew I had joined, and he knew exactly how much I received. As a result of mis-classifying us as exempt, IBM re-classified us as non-exempt. And cut our pay by 15%. Management said "Not to worry. You'll get it back in OT." Yeah right. Shortly after the re-classification and resulting pay cut, all OT was eliminated.

If the Supreme Court decides in favor of drug reps, all drug companies will have to pony up big time. For the past and in the future. They'll do what ever it is they think they need to do to reduce future costs, and if that means lay-offs, so be it.

The last poster claims to be with IBM (and could be). But check out today's issue of USA Today for the article regarding overtime class action suits in general. The poster's comments mirror parts of the USA Today article. Since we are not paid overtime anyway - and never will in the future, IBM posters comments really do not effect us - except possibly the boss knowing who signed on to sue. If you haven't signed on to be included in the suit, it's too late to do so now.

The last poster claims to be with IBM (and could be). But check out today's issue of USA Today for the article regarding overtime class action suits in general. The poster's comments mirror parts of the USA Today article. Since we are not paid overtime anyway - and never will in the future, IBM posters comments really do not effect us - except possibly the boss knowing who signed on to sue. If you haven't signed on to be included in the suit, it's too late to do so now.

I signed up and I want my cash, fuck the company.

I'm curious as to why you are so sure BMS's reps will never be paid OT?

I'm the IBM poster, I was with IBM but no longer am.

The class action suit I was a class member of was the Rosenberg et al v. IBM suit. There was a deadline to join the class, and you had to opt in. If you didnt respond to the letter informing employees of the suit by mailing back the postcard, then by default, you were considered to have opted out and werenot made a member of the class. In that case, you didnot receive any compensation. (There were some employees that didnt opt in, due to their fear of retaliation, but IBM cut their pay 15% anyway.)

IBM cut the check I received in the U.S. Mail. It came from IBM accounting located at 1701 North Street, Endicott NY. It did not come from a court appointed trustee. Therefore IBM knew I opted in, and my immediate manager was so informed.

That lawsuit cost IBM 65 million dollars. My point in offering all of the above is simply this; If The Supreme Court sides with drug reps, and that action costs pharmacuetical companies millions, then "retaliation" could easily occur. Not saying it will definitely happen, but a hit like that will demand some sort of reaction by pharma companies.

This is great news for our industry. We now have power over the endless things they ask us to do. Speaker programs, at home training, worthless national meetings, expense reports, IT issues etc. We Win!

Why would BMS ever pay OT when it can just go to a contract sales force?

If this ruling stands and says reps are non-exempt, I'd expect BMS to ditch most reps and go to contract sales forces where ever possible.

If this ruling stands and says reps are non-exempt, I'd expect BMS to ditch most reps and go to contract sales forces where ever possible.

Contract this! Contract that! Has to be the same dumb fuck that keeps saying they are going to fire us all for a contract sales team. New flash dumb fuck we had one and they let them go. So move on.

I am BMS 30 years and the law firm contacted me...in the event of overtime compensation ...you must be registered with the law suit.
I did not do it
1 Company is great with time off
2 Target on your back for future dismissal LOC behaviors or anything...you could be fired
Novartis got 14000 each.....