• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Question for those who left primary/secondary teaching for pharma sales

Anonymous

My wife is a high school bio teacher who thinks she would be much happier as a pharma rep. I say not. I told her that I bet there were more reps who would like to teachers. Any comments from former teachers who became reps would be appreciated.

<

My wife is a high school bio teacher who thinks she would be much happier as a pharma rep. I say not. I told her that I bet there were more reps who would like to teachers. Any comments from former teachers who became reps would be appreciated.

I taught high school for several years and then got a pharma job. At first it was great. The job had a family atmosphere and the perks were wonderful. Then the new commercial model was rolled out and some directors started suggesting PIPs. Tenured great reps were let go because of their high salaries. All of a sudden everyone is out to get everyone. It's a lynch mob mentality now. I would suggest your spouse stay in teaching. This job is miserable now and I am hoping I get let go next year. I will probably teach HS again - at least that job is rewarding.

Money isn't everything. A chimpanzee could do this job and they would pay it 1/4 of what we make. In other words our jobs aren't seen as bringing much value.

Hope this helps!

I taught high school for several years and then got a pharma job. At first it was great. The job had a family atmosphere and the perks were wonderful. Then the new commercial model was rolled out and some directors started suggesting PIPs. Tenured great reps were let go because of their high salaries. All of a sudden everyone is out to get everyone. It's a lynch mob mentality now. I would suggest your spouse stay in teaching. This job is miserable now and I am hoping I get let go next year. I will probably teach HS again - at least that job is rewarding.

Money isn't everything. A chimpanzee could do this job and they would pay it 1/4 of what we make. In other words our jobs aren't seen as bringing much value.

Hope this helps!

This poster speaks the truth. We used to have teachers became reps saying it was more fun and more money. That it was nice to not to have to deal with lousy unmotivated students. But the grass is always greener on the other side and soon they were bogged down by all the Merck manure.

Pharmaceuticals is a dying industry…best to keep her teaching job. At least she gets tenure, a good pension, summers off, and respect. I would trade being a teacher for this job in a minute.

I am surprised that pharma reps aren't fleeing pharma in droves for teaching, real estate, or anything else that has some sort of future...(not to mention dignity.)

Pharma sales these days is not for anybody with a shred of self respect...but alas, the money is above average so people will continue to freely sell their souls to have more money at the mall...

I am surprised that pharma reps aren't fleeing pharma in droves for teaching, real estate, or anything else that has some sort of future...(not to mention dignity.)

Pharma sales these days is not for anybody with a shred of self respect...but alas, the money is above average so people will continue to freely sell their souls to have more money at the mall...

Because…. real estate is a total commission job with absolutely no benefits and the housing market sucks right now. I don't want more money for the mall, but I do need it to send two kids to college.

Interesting post as I am a rep of 8 years with bio degree who is returning to school for my secondary license with middle school endorsement to teach general science, biology, chemistry, and physics. I hope I haven't waited too long since this will take about 24 months and I need my Merck income. I used a week of vacation this summer to attend a seminar that now allows me to serve as a substitute teacher for all grade levels as a little income insurance but it in no way replaces my current earnings.

Hope this helps!

Funny how the connections work. This is a job that a chimp could do and teaching high school bio is like training chimps.

Most of you who are posting seem clueless. State ed certification is needed. State certification requires non paid student teaching and a set curriculum of undergrad courses and an approved grad degree. Unless you have someone paying for the mortgage, taxes, food, insurances and everything else I cannot imagine anyone going back to school and racking up big tuition bills and all the time off it will take, then take even more time off of about a year to work free on student teaching without an income. Duhhhhhhhhh????????Who are you?

Most of you who are posting seem clueless. State ed certification is needed. State certification requires non paid student teaching and a set curriculum of undergrad courses and an approved grad degree. Unless you have someone paying for the mortgage, taxes, food, insurances and everything else I cannot imagine anyone going back to school and racking up big tuition bills and all the time off it will take, then take even more time off of about a year to work free on student teaching without an income. Duhhhhhhhhh????????Who are you?

I'm doing night classes to meet state cert. requirements. My area is begging for science and math teachers so I hope the opportunities will still exist in 2 years. You're right about the most challenging part being the unpaid student teaching I'll be required to do for one semester. In fact, I have to pay full tuition then, too, which is a bite. Thus Im saving every penny of my Merck income that I possibly can to help see me through about 6 months post-Merck. I'm also considering using some of my savings to buy a rental property that could help supplement my loss of Merck income. My health insurance will be a short term job transition policy that costs about $100/mo.

"My age and the cost of school. I have a business degree so I can't just get into teaching. I would have to go back to school for a few years. I can't afford to go."

I retired after teaching for 20 yrs, and I have been a rep for 10 years now (not with Merck). Many states have programs where you can teach while you work on taking classes at night for certification. Teachers with real world experience bring much value into their classroom, and the students really respect that (I taught high school).
As a teacher, I was able to spend a lot of time with my own children as they grew up - priceless. However, as a rep, I make double what I was making after 20 years of teaching, but we never did without what we needed. Pros and cons in everything - your choice. You have options!

"My age and the cost of school. I have a business degree so I can't just get into teaching. I would have to go back to school for a few years. I can't afford to go."

I retired after teaching for 20 yrs, and I have been a rep for 10 years now (not with Merck). Many states have programs where you can teach while you work on taking classes at night for certification. Teachers with real world experience bring much value into their classroom, and the students really respect that (I taught high school).
As a teacher, I was able to spend a lot of time with my own children as they grew up - priceless. However, as a rep, I make double what I was making after 20 years of teaching, but we never did without what we needed. Pros and cons in everything - your choice. You have options!

Choice for those in their 30s and 40s. Over 50 not an option, most teachers I know get out around 55.

Spouse an engineer, mechanic, accountant, doctor or lawyer????? White or blue collar some like these making 100K or more. Lots can get those teacher papers with that safety net plus UI. Some here will have 0 salary and 0 safety net if layoffs come.

The biggest factor is one which no one mentioned: Do you really want to work with kids in a public school setting???

Believe me, it's not for everyone! It certainly isn't anything I would want to be involved with...not with today's kids, especially.

Remember, less money, problematic kids, less job security (i.e., cuts being made everywhere) Don't think the grass is any greener in education.

Yup, thats me!