• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

Pfizer and Allergan joining hands, how many layoffs are in the cards?

Normally once the deal closes Pfizer looks at the combined product portfolio decides how many reps it needs to support it keeps all the Pfizer reps (none ever get let go) then add's in however many more it needs from the bought company and lays off the rest. I have heard that since there is not a ton of overlap between the two product lines it maybe better this time around for Alleragan - dont count on it but.....

Normally once the deal closes Pfizer looks at the combined product portfolio decides how many reps it needs to support it keeps all the Pfizer reps (none ever get let go) then add's in however many more it needs from the bought company and lays off the rest. I have heard that since there is not a ton of overlap between the two product lines it maybe better this time around for Alleragan - dont count on it but.....

There's overlap in women's health. And that division will be run by a Pfizer guy so not sure how safe legacy actavis women's health will be. Not too many products to divide amongst reps.

Wow. That sounds just like Forest. I worked for them once. Lots of arrogant managers that would never fit in to the Pfizer culture - not that it is that much better. But I will say one thing is for sure, Pfizer buys companies for the products, not the people. Just look at history and take note. These are rough times in the pharmaceutical industry.

Whoa, whoa. This deal is not about products. This deal is about the IRISH TAX DOMICILE, PERIOD!!! Pfizer stands to save $2,000,000,000 in taxes in the first year. That's billions with a B. Botox could be kept but all bets are off when it comes to the rest of the Allergan/Actavis/Forest portfolio.

THIS DEAL IS NOT ABOUT PRODUCTS, SYNERGY OR ANY OTHER BUZZWORD.

BLOOD WILL RUN IN THE STREETS, PFIZER WILL SELL PRODUCTS OR DECIDE NOT TO PROMOTE THEM.

IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!

REMEBER THIS!!!

Whoa, whoa. This deal is not about products. This deal is about the IRISH TAX DOMICILE, PERIOD!!! Pfizer stands to save $2,000,000,000 in taxes in the first year. That's billions with a B. Botox could be kept but all bets are off when it comes to the rest of the Allergan/Actavis/Forest portfolio.

BLOOD WILL RUN IN THE STREETS, PFIZER WILL SELL PRODUCTS OR DECIDE NOT TO PROMOTE THEM.

IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!

REMEBER THIS!!!

You're not wrong.

IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!
IRISH TAX DOMICILE!!

REMEBER THIS!!!

You are 100% right.

"Blood in the streets, it's up to my ankles.
Blood in the streets, it's up to my knee."

-The Doors

If this is the Biggest Merger of all time in pharmaceuticals, then you can expect the biggest layoff of epic times to follow. It may not happen in the 1st cut but after 2-3 waves of cuts in a year! The Biggest! Why do you think there is a hiring freeze in Womens/Hospital and PC division on both sides. The maps have already been laid out with geographical lines. Be ready.

Initially I don't think there will me many layoffs that would look bad for the mega merger. However, I expect we will have to wait by the phone around Christmas every year for the next 3-5 years. That's the Pfizer way.
Either way I won't be here. And anyone who thinks they are safe based upon the division they are in is delusional. They will move people wherever they want to. Get off your high horse this is not rocket science!

you need a reality check. The whole purpose of this merger is to reduce cost through support function cost synergy, sales force reduction and manufacuring synergies. Tax saving along doesn't warrant 160 billion.