Novo XOMA deal

anonymous

Interesting Novo licensed the XMetA insulin receptor activating antibody project from XOMA. Novo has a long tradition for failure in the antibody arena. If this concept works, we open up our insulin business to direct competition from those who know what they are doing with antibodies (Roche, Medimmune, BMS, etc). Gone with our famous insulin supply chain advantage.

<

Interesting Novo licensed the XMetA insulin receptor activating antibody project from XOMA. Novo has a long tradition for failure in the antibody arena. If this concept works, we open up our insulin business to direct competition from those who know what they are doing with antibodies (Roche, Medimmune, BMS, etc). Gone with our famous insulin supply chain advantage.

Maybe we bought it to can the development...

Also, insulin will always be required for t1d and t2d who have most sufficient beta cell mass. We did always say we are in the business of trying to put ourselves out of business, right?

I think as medication for the t2d space becomes more advanced, the need for insulin in those patients is declining anyway.

You could argue GLP-1s have lowered our demand for basal.

Maybe we bought it to can the development...

Also, insulin will always be required for t1d and t2d who have most sufficient beta cell mass. We did always say we are in the business of trying to put ourselves out of business, right?

I think as medication for the t2d space becomes more advanced, the need for insulin in those patients is declining anyway.

You could argue GLP-1s have lowered our demand for basal.

What percentage of our insulin sales goes to t2d ?

What percentage of our insulin sales goes to t2d ?

I'm not saying I disagree; what I'm saying is that monoclonal antibodies are just one threat to insulin sales in the t2d space...other drugs like GLP-1s, SGLT-2s, etc have also cut into that market...

And it still stands that when a t2d loses beta cell function, they need insulin. Period.

I'd be much more concerned about stem cell technology as a cure.

New drug classes are gaining importance in the t2d arena (SGLT-2, GLP-1, etc). However, the XOMA antibody would seem to have the potential of directly substituting insulin treatment even in the absence of beta-cell activity. Of course, nobody knows whether this will work. However, if it does, Novo is inviting competition of a different class.

Nice to know we have such medical and business experts scanning the pages of CP. I bet you guys are the ONLY ones thinking about this, aren't you?

Novo sure gets the benefit of the doubt that they are thinking about this. Unfortunately, they have also proven themselves to be pretty lousy at the antibody business.

New drug classes are gaining importance in the t2d arena (SGLT-2, GLP-1, etc). However, the XOMA antibody would seem to have the potential of directly substituting insulin treatment even in the absence of beta-cell activity. Of course, nobody knows whether this will work. However, if it does, Novo is inviting competition of a different class.

Looking at the deal structure and products MoA, most likely will be shelved as possibley too disruptive. Another communications ploy.