No wonder she was a 'stay at home'

I do not crate my dogs either, never have..not even for potty training. I do seat belt them in while in the car with the extra seat belt attachment shown in the pic I posted.

Oh...and I am gonna whisper this one: (I am a free feeder too)....GASP!!! I am sure some dog owners do not agree with that....but I am guilty. I can't stand for them to ever be hungry and they all have regulated themselves and do not gorge. Food is always out for them and I use about 3-3/1/2 cups a day that feeds 4 dogs. That's not so bad.

BN: 2 of my dogs are Shelties (like little collies)....love em' One is Blue Merle and one is Sable.

Shelties are very cool dogs and your free feeding is fine as long as it works for you and them . . . My girl was a rescue Border from TN - She came with the name 'Dixie' and it has morphed into 'Nip'. Best dog I ever have had - She doesn't need a leash ever and we walk 3 miles most each day in the woods.

my Bijon Frise rides up front. With me. Eating only the finest cuts of Kobe beef while drinking filtered water.
I call her Sarah.

Ours is a very old dog, with incredible show bred lines. He's never been shown but has been the best pet ever to grace the family. I suspect he's only got another year or two even though he is relatively healthy, so he gets to do whatever makes him happy.