Looking to break in am I making a mistake?

The CNPR or CphT are both industry recognized. I can tell you that they will provide candidates with the industry knowledge that pharmaceutical employers look for. They are certifications and not licenses. So you must understand that they will qualify you for pharmaceutical sales positions but not required by a State or Federal government. Typically, they are listed as a pre-requisite by pharmaceutical companies.

I hear mostly good things about these certifications. The negative comments come from people who think that these certifications will guarantee them a job. They can only help qualify them for a career in the business. They are meant to help those with limited background in pharmacology looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. Having product and industry knowledge is essential when applying for pharmaceutical sales jobs.

This is what I have been told as well.

The CNPR or CphT are both industry recognized. I can tell you that they will provide candidates with the industry knowledge that pharmaceutical employers look for. They are certifications and not licenses. So you must understand that they will qualify you for pharmaceutical sales positions but not required by a State or Federal government. Typically, they are listed as a pre-requisite by pharmaceutical companies.

I hear mostly good things about these certifications. The negative comments come from people who think that these certifications will guarantee them a job. They can only help qualify them for a career in the business. They are meant to help those with limited background in pharmacology looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. Having product and industry knowledge is essential when applying for pharmaceutical sales jobs.

Certification does not me a license. A degree is not a license either. Just a bunch of stupid people on this blog.

I agree. The CNPR Certification will is certainly looked at very positively by the industry and company's but it is not equivalent to a degree. If you get the CNPR and some sales experience that should be enough to qualify for the interviews. You will definetly need to get additional training by the company as you need to no everything about their particular pharmaceutical products.

Finally, someone is making sense here.

NEWS ALERT: from Pharmaceutical Representative Magazine - August 2008 page 11.

New PhRMA provisions will directly impact pharmaceutical rep training. All new pharmaceutical reps must be sufficiently trained about laws, regulations and industry codes of practice that govern interactions with healthcare professionals, according to the revised code. PhRMA suggests that companies assess reps periodically about the new standards of conduct and take actions against reps who do not meet the quidelines.

PhRMA also is asking pharmaceutical CEOs and compliance officers to certify each year that have processes in place to comply with the code of conduct. PhRMA suggests that pharmaceutical companies use companies like the NAPSR to verify that they have processes in place.

Within hours of the announcement Johnson & Johnson announced that it would follow the new guidelines and other pharma companies are expected to follow suit.

Does anyone know where I can get more info on this??

I am looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. I was advised to get my CNPR Certification. I know that my alumni university (University of Alabama) offers the CNPR Certification program. Should I take the pharmaceutical sales training at the university or by correspondence?

I would take it at the college if it is more convenient for you.

I want to thank the NAPRx for helping me with my pursuit of a pharmaceutical sales career. The CNPR training was just what I was looking for and certainly was the deciding factor in my interviews. I interviewed with NOVARTIS, GSK, Forest and AstraZeneca and just accepted a position with Forest. I know this would not have happened if I had not completed the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales training offered by the NAPRx. Thanks again for helping me break into pharmaceutical sales.

Great to hear!!

I can tell you from my experience that the CNPR Certification was a major factor in my hiring in at Warner Chilcott. I was a sales rep in the financial industry with no knowledge of pharmaceutical and the medical industry. I took the CNPR Certification because I generally wanted to get introduced to a career in pharmaceutical sales since I had no prior knowledge.

When I put the certification on my resume and sent it out a 2nd time (1st time without it) I started getting called for interviews. I finally completed several interviews with Warner Chilcott where I was offered a pharmaceutical sales position. Later I thanked the HR person who first called me and she mentioned that she called initially because I possessed the industry knowledge and a CNPR Certification. So there you go, I would recommend Warner Chilcott to anyone--great company!

Ditto

As an experienced pharmaceutical sales rep for over 13 years I would highly recommend the CNPR program to anyone looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. The CNPR is certainly industry recognized and accredited and available at over 300 colleges / universities.

Consider these characteristics for CNPR graduates:

1. They are often as or even more capable of complex learning of new pharmaceutical products than non CNPR reps..

2. They CNPR program trains entry level reps industry pharmaceutical sales skills best from pharmacology education and a focus on real-life problems.

3. They often do not work to their potential in the relatively abstract-linear environment of traditional classes.

So, not having vocational or career learning options is a major disservice to the industry in general and certainly hampers a person chance of working in the industry.

A few years ago one may have considered vocational programs a waste of time as anybody could find employment as a forklift operator for example. Nowadays however, a majority of employers do not have time to employ individuals with no prior training and then train them on the job. This has made it almost mandatory to get vocational education. Those who are lucky to get employed without prior training have the disadvantage of receiving lower wages than other reps.

One other advantage that comes with vocational training is that it does not really look at one's age like professional career education. For example, if you are 45 years old, it is practically futile to begin a medical degree as it is a long path to success. Vocational training on the other hand can be done by individuals as young as 21 or as old as even 60 years of age.

If you get any kind of industry training it will only help you. Education or training is never perceived in a negative manner. If you are lacking pharmacology knowlege you should definetly get it whether it is CNPR, CphT, or AMS. As a pharmaceutical sales rep you job is to educate and detail the physician on the pharmacology behind the products. You will present pharmaeutical terminiology with the clinical research. Certifications will only qualify you for interviews and the rest is up to you as you must interview successfully to receive job offers.

This is basic common sense, I agree.

You don't need any stupid fucking CNPR or other certifications. This shit is posted across message boards all over the web. These fuckers are scamming people out of money. They even pose as third party recruiters. You apply for a job on a job board and then a "recruiter" emails you saying that you need one of these certifications before you can proceed. Take a look on the web. These same canned responses are everywhere. Some dick head will post something, log in under a different name, and then answer his own fucking questions. If someone tells you that you need these certifications you tell them to go fuck themselves.

Find an entry level posting by a reputable company. All you need is good B2B territory sales experience and a bit of luck. That's it

I want to thank the NAPRx for helping me with my pursuit of a pharmaceutical sales career. The CNPR training was just what I was looking for and certainly was the deciding factor in my interviews. I interviewed with NOVARTIS, GSK, Forest and AstraZeneca and just accepted a position with Forest. I know this would not have happened if I had not completed the CNPR entry level pharmaceutical sales training offered by the NAPRx. Thanks again for helping me break into pharmaceutical sales.

So whats the starting salary in pharma sales on the west coast? I am near San Diego. Any ideas guys?

As an experienced pharmaceutical sales rep for over 13 years I would highly recommend the CNPR program to anyone looking to enter a career in pharmaceutical sales. The CNPR is certainly industry recognized and accredited and available at over 300 colleges / universities.

Consider these characteristics for CNPR graduates:

1. They are often as or even more capable of complex learning of new pharmaceutical products than non CNPR reps..

2. They CNPR program trains entry level reps industry pharmaceutical sales skills best from pharmacology education and a focus on real-life problems.

3. They often do not work to their potential in the relatively abstract-linear environment of traditional classes.

So, not having vocational or career learning options is a major disservice to the industry in general and certainly hampers a person chance of working in the industry.

15 year vet here, and your post is total BS.

It comes down to fitting a profile OR knowing the manager or knowing a favorite of a manager on this inside.

Now that I am out, I can tell you that it was all a waste of time. Terrible job. I would not recommend it to anyone.

However, the only exception is a very small where you an manage your own territory.

Last edited by a moderator: