It is just free market capitalism

Consumer staples. Look around your house at things you use daily that you would continue to buy even if you were living on your savings. Toilet paper, razors, soap - it's not sexy and you won't become an overnight millionaire but there is steady demand and most of those companies have a dividend. Always participate in dividend reinvestment if you are long in the stock - compounds your return.

This is a tough one. I don't think there is much out there over the short term (12-24 months) that will make any money that is not very speculative. I do pretty well in my investments and I don't see much to throw my money into right now. Sector rotation is moving way to fast right now. It's to the point where I am thinking what short term investment will keep up with the cost of living and will not possibly crush me. I am not worried about my 401k because I can always take a hit and dollar cost average back into it. I still have 20 years here so I am not even thinking about my pension. Merck is not done with that yet plus like 90% of America I am worried about getting clipped. I have a heck of a times sleeping. Being a one income family just adds to my stress. :)

I read many financial planning books through the years and I have seen how the philosophy has changed over the last 5-7 years. Here are some good ideas I have collected.

1. Have 2 tiers of savings. This will allow more flexibility. 10 years ago you would need 3-6 months worth of savings to be ok. Now it's 12-18 months. That is especially true if your a one income family.

I have 6 months worth of savings in cd's. Theoretically I am loosing money on that. The rates are so low that it's 2% under the cost of living. I then have 12 months in i bonds. They are a hedge against inflation. They keep up with the living. I bought those a while back so I received a 2% fixed rate plus what ever the CPI-U is over a 6 month period.

As far as stock go I only look for best in class. (J&J, medtronics,Union Pacific,UPS) but that is a small amount of my overall portfolio. I stay away for large cap technology stocks. I could never get that right (except IBM). When they go down they spiral hard. The big ones are ran like crap. The only value I see in them are the smaller ones that have a particular segment of technology.

Everything else is in SPDR's and ETF's (sector driven). I think they are the way to go. They have no sales commission, low management fees, and do better over time than most mutual funds.

I am just curious to see where my fellow workers are putting their money short term. I tried to talk to financial advisers but by the end of the conversation I think I know more then them. They try to push me into funds that have a high sales load, 12b-1 fees and are overloaded in one section of the market. A lot of the good funds are closed to new investors. They also don't understand micro or macro economics.

Some of the best advise I have received is from other posts.

Oh, how quick you forget! Obama SAVED the stock market! GM was snapped from the brink of bankruptcy to become a very profitable PUBLIC company! And how about all those 'too big to fail' banks he bailed out so the market didn't collapse!

Okay, sarcasm over. GM is now buying out their pensioners to lower their obligations and remain profitable for shareholders. Probably not that great if you work there but sound familiar?

Obama = bad for businesses = stock market rought times...

@post #21:

Check out the Peter Lynch books on Amazon. One Up on Wall Street and Beating the Street are good places to find bankable ideas. The Warren Buffet Way is also pretty good.

Great advice on speculative stocks - don't hold more than one speculative position in your portfolio. Best investing advice EVER? Don't invest with money you can't afford to lose. I buy in small and sell on the highs until all that's in the market are my gains - my savings are back in the bank.

CD's are an awful choice, period. You'll get a better return from a basic Merck Credit Union savings account and you can access your money at any time. Bonds are another thing I wouldn't put much, if any, in. J&J is likely to take a small hit after the Goldman note on Friday but don't sell - if Gorsky listens to them you'll be in the money!

I like inventing in bond mutual funds. If you look at the performance summary of all investment options that are available at Fidelity (i.e., your 401K), Pimco Total Returns (PTTRX) outperformed every option in terms of 5 yr and 10 yr returns. You won't ever see a 20% gain, but you won't see 20% losses either. It is labeled "a conservative investment option", and has high Morningstar approval ratings. I am happy with steady 8-9% returns. I also like getting monthly interest dividends....very motivating when I review my monthly reports. I sleep very well at night. Right now interest rates are low, so bond prices will remain high. Once interest rates start climbing (2014?), and bond prices start dropping, you can sell with no penalty.

Post 21

Pretty good, the only way to make money right now is the credit spreads. That is risky and hard especially if you have no real experience doing that. I bonds are different than E or EE. They float with CPI every 6 months. You bought them a while ago with a fixed rate at 2.0% DO NOT SELL THEM. You should be getting 4-5% annually. That is the best you are going to get.

The bond market has been a raging bull for a while now. That is a problem. It’s not floating because the feds will not allow it to. That has caused a colossal bubble. When that pops it could be more detrimental than the 2008 mess. The Ibonds will help weather that storm. The harder the landing, the higher the rates will be.

The adjustments you made are spot on. A small issue is what is short term now? I think it’s closer to 5 years now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-zone-bleakest-day-global-economy-year.html

The German 2 year note was in negative territory last week. The US 10 years hit 1.5% also. Big investors are looking for safe harbor right now. If they don’t know where to go, how would any of us. The next 2 years will be tough sledding. Between China, Asian pacific, Europe, and the US, things can go in any direction. It would be cool if China would not cloak everything. They stated they are in a soft patch but they could be falling off a cliff.

Lets hope for the best.