Inappropriate comment by manager

anonymous

I have been in the industry for a few years (fewer than 10 though) and recently had a first ride along with a new female manager (I am male). During the day we talked about expectations and at one point she said that if my sales started slipping she would, "spank the dogshit," out of me.

I kind of laughed like I thought it was funny but it made me uncomfortable. I know she did not mean this literally but I still thought it was not appropriate. Am I wrong?

<

This is a case of he said she said. Merck protects their managers. She can say f you a-hole and they wouldn’t do anything. Unless there is a blatant religious, sexual harassment or racial statement made there are no grounds for the ombudsman or HR to do anything. Best case you confront it yourself and be a man. Seriously! Or call the ombudsman and tell them you feel like she sexually harassed you and it’s uncomfortable to talk to her- they open a case, talk to your team, noone else on the team says anything. 6 months pass and they call and say they talked to the manager she took an additional my learning and they appreciate you coming to them. Then your sales start slipping you go on a pip and the tables turn. It won’t be retaliation right

I have been in the industry for a few years (fewer than 10 though) and recently had a first ride along with a new female manager (I am male). During the day we talked about expectations and at one point she said that if my sales started slipping she would, "spank the dogshit," out of me.

I kind of laughed like I thought it was funny but it made me uncomfortable. I know she did not mean this literally but I still thought it was not appropriate. Am I wrong?

Please tell me this is a joke and you are not really this big of a pussy

Not wrong in this day and age. You know your options assuming you get our Ethics training.
I would record it, wait and see if it happens again, or becomes a pattern of behavior.
Then you have the choice of raising it with her, or calling the Ethics hotline.

Although, maybe she is old school Merck twisted f- sales person and really wants to spank you.

This is a case of he said she said. Merck protects their managers. She can say f you a-hole and they wouldn’t do anything. Unless there is a blatant religious, sexual harassment or racial statement made there are no grounds for the ombudsman or HR to do anything. Best case you confront it yourself and be a man. Seriously! Or call the ombudsman and tell them you feel like she sexually harassed you and it’s uncomfortable to talk to her- they open a case, talk to your team, noone else on the team says anything. 6 months pass and they call and say they talked to the manager she took an additional my learning and they appreciate you coming to them. Then your sales start slipping you go on a pip and the tables turn. It won’t be retaliation right

correction from a now retired manager: Merck does not protect managers, Merck protects “the company “. . I know everyone thinks managers are in some special zone, but I assure you, the reality is that they are screwed from both directions, above and below.... oh yeah and sometimes sideways (back in the day of mgams maes AE’s, etc). It’s a fucking thankless role.

Totally fake story. A Merck friend told me about this story and wanted to see the comments. If she said that and reads the Merck CP site, she knows exactly who you are. If true, there is nothing you can do without hard proof. You record her by hidden recording devices you can find on the internet, I.e. a pen that is a working pen, and also records everything that is said . That would sink her. But , then you would be targeted at some later point and PIP’ed out.

Exactly why I left pharma after a year, and went with a major device company. Been here 5 years and never had a manager in my car. Selling is all that matters.

Totally fake story. A Merck friend told me about this story and wanted to see the comments. If she said that and reads the Merck CP site, she knows exactly who you are. If true, there is nothing you can do without hard proof. You record her by hidden recording devices you can find on the internet, I.e. a pen that is a working pen, and also records everything that is said . That would sink her. But , then you would be targeted at some later point and PIP’ed out.

Exactly why I left pharma after a year, and went with a major device company. Been here 5 years and never had a manager in my car. Selling is all that matters.

Major device company is still not selling.
Keep telling yourself that.
Thanks for the laughs.

correction from a now retired manager: Merck does not protect managers, Merck protects “the company “. . I know everyone thinks managers are in some special zone, but I assure you, the reality is that they are screwed from both directions, above and below.... oh yeah and sometimes sideways (back in the day of mgams maes AE’s, etc). It’s a fucking thankless role.

This.