• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

If my job is a joke, does that make me a joke as well?

Wow…one drug rep job wasn't enough for you so you stayed in the industry?? You must be a glutton for punishment…Congrats on your awesome access cochise…You earned that right huh? Aren't you special? Glad you are so proud to be a drug rep…Now go get out there and move that needle…don't forget to stop at Starbucks first and then order your Olive Garden for noon.

Well a couple of the skills I meant was to carry a coherent conversation and bring value. Obviously you are deficient in both of those and are going through life clueless. You appear to be the sig. grabber, verbatim spewer type. Good luck with that. There are those so, no I wasn't talking to you..."Cochise."

Best. Advice. Ever.

Milking it for as long as you can is not the best advice ever…Actually, it is terrible advice…

Do you think you can hit the pause button on life and not age or something?? Those that milk it "as long as they can" end up older, without skills, and unemployable in the real world of real jobs…

Trust me on this…I was one of those that milked it as long as I could…Now in my 50s, and struggling like you would not believe…

LEAVE MERCK ASAP and get real job skills, or start a business on the side while you are there…

you will be in deep shit otherwise when you get older and your realize how much time you wasted...

Great job but look at the resume...any change to skills, responsibilities, anything new?..maybe you title changed a little after you hit so many years..maybe you got some new product...but this job is stagnation which can be a major killer on the resume.

Milking it for as long as you can is not the best advice ever…Actually, it is terrible advice…

Do you think you can hit the pause button on life and not age or something?? Those that milk it "as long as they can" end up older, without skills, and unemployable in the real world of real jobs…

Trust me on this…I was one of those that milked it as long as I could…Now in my 50s, and struggling like you would not believe…

LEAVE MERCK ASAP and get real job skills, or start a business on the side while you are there…

you will be in deep shit otherwise when you get older and your realize how much time you wasted...

The poster you "disagree" with had the same advice you offer: Start another business on the side now. Be ready for the axe to fall. This is your chance to start another income stream while still on Merck's payroll. Don't miss this opportunity.

I still agree with that position and I'm doing it. As my new (insert "real") job grows into a stronger income stream, I am double dipping until the cows come home. As it requires more and more of my time, I will give Merck less and less. And yes, I intend to f--k Merck over for as long and as much as humanly possible. It's the best move I've ever made. I wish I had started this many years ago, when Merck started its slide into obscurity.

FU MERCK. I'm loving this part of my Merck existence more than any other!!!

But, new technology dries this economy....not consumerism! A science, tech or engineer would serve you must better. For insurance, a BS in risk mgmt or a MS is stats to catch the crooks that try to steal CC numbers. Huge!

Great job but look at the resume...any change to skills, responsibilities, anything new?..maybe you title changed a little after you hit so many years..maybe you got some new product...but this job is stagnation which can be a major killer on the resume.

I have to agree. We are becoming a teah poor country.

The poster you "disagree" with had the same advice you offer: Start another business on the side now. Be ready for the axe to fall. This is your chance to start another income stream while still on Merck's payroll. Don't miss this opportunity.

I still agree with that position and I'm doing it. As my new (insert "real") job grows into a stronger income stream, I am double dipping until the cows come home. As it requires more and more of my time, I will give Merck less and less. And yes, I intend to f--k Merck over for as long and as much as humanly possible. It's the best move I've ever made. I wish I had started this many years ago, when Merck started its slide into obscurity.

And for goodness state live frugally!!!

Just have to say to you, "Especially because you are a guy" I and my female (male) sales professionals have experience outside Pharma. Most of us graduated at the top of our class. We too feel this way. Most of us are the primary bread winners in our families with or without husbands. Scary to walk away from six figures when you are banking it for your kid's education.

I get your embarrassment. I am more embarrassed by what Marketing wants me to say, which I KNOW will not work because these people keep recycling the same stuff. I used it, did it and it doesn't work. Plus, every Pharma company used it. We joke at lunch on the lines they have heard. So, in some respects marketing is working if not for anything other than a joke. Docs remember with a smile and said I told her I would give her the business. Hence, good rankings until you get to the bubble and did not ass kiss again. Riad, you need to read this. They would all be gone! Overpaid and provide no revenue to our organization.
We are in a downward spirale.

Just want to correct, without malice, many of us our embarrassed about what we do

As Merck continues to descend into new depths of absurdity,
I have been doing a lot of soul searching lately...

I enjoyed pharma sales for many years, when it was an actual
real job...with goals and purpose and at least some shred of dignity.

Flash forward and managements's greed and dishonesty has rendered
the drug rep job a joke...a charade if you will...

In America, we are what we do...Especially if you are a guy...If my job
is a joke, I become am basically a joke...Embarrassed to tell people what
I do for a living...

I am still trying to figure out how something so good, could turn so bad,
yet the game goes on...

I love this guy. It's a shame the majority of our surviving pack of Merck idiots aren't bright enough to understand his genius.