• Fri news: New Novo obesity prospect linked to psychiatric side effects. Summit beats Keytruda in NSCLC. DermaSensor skin cancer detection device. Astellas digital health product. Sanofi MS data. See more on our front page

How to completely destroy a decades long therapeutic legacy at a company (Respiratory).

MSL gone hmm maybe the respiratory products should be available over the counter- Spiriva is as safe as cold medicine- maybe it’s time to make it available by just visiting the pharmacy

What's you guess? A year? Two?

I am wrong because I am surprised they still have reps in the field promoting it. Maybe it is the respiratory legacy of this company...I don’t know. Maybe something else in the pipeline (not pipeline but contract?). Because to me this is a classic example of a product that could be sold virtually (has been for almost a year). But like you I see them filling positions?

managed care losses? That’s a new one. Except for Cvs Caremark Medicare, we are in very solid position. In fact, some bigly formulary losses for the competition are happening very soon.
A couple major plans are nice but when we have zero coverage on manage Medicaid which, understandably doesn’t pay at all but… Is the largest collective script volume in every chronic disease… He creates the impression that we are not covered! And it’s never discussed… GSK understands and they are laughing all the way to the bank!

classic are the dolls! Who ever came up with that idea should be fired!

give me one time a rep used those dolls without the manager sitting there shot gun?

The big mistake was not putting albuterol in the respi device. This was a total lack of understanding of the business and time involved in training. When albuterol went back to branded...total missed opportunity!
Why? All pts start on albuterol..staff trains pt/family...disease progresses there is no need to train again...easy transition. I never had a doctor not like the concept of the device but pts at this point already have a concept of what an inhaler is by this time...no one likes change

You mean like Combivent?

• Take a major blockbuster drug. One of the top 10 drugs in the world in its prime time (Spiriva) and just be lazy.
  • Ignore the salesforce when they beg and plead for a triple.
  • Ignore world renowned thought leaders who say the same thing.
  • Take a pointless LABA , add it to the LAMA and call it a day. That’s all you need. Just add a product, that’s in a class that most pulmonologists think are all identical and have had at their disposal for 30 + years , and add it to the product that now has numerous competitors.
  • Make this useless product that no asked for , nor needs , 100% of the sales reps payouts for several years. This will ensure many quality employees will leave for better jobs.
  • Consistently lose managed care coverage across the country making it virtually impossible to win in some markets.
  • Make the delivery in a formulation/device that is so complicated that you will need to create expensive videos , hire independent nursing companies to come to patient’s homes to consult, make quick start guides etc etc etc. Even then the patients will refuse to use it and doctors hate it. Also make sure there is no data to show it has better efficacy than the original device anyway. Years later 60-70% of new starts are still with the original device.
  • Release no new data at all for a significant amount of time.
  • Make a doll in a box your sales aids.
That’s what happens when everyone’s afraid to speak up see the emperor has no clothes on. By the time other departments side it was already in production and nothing could be done.

You mean like Combivent?

no. Drs start pts on albuterol-not combivent. Every pt with asthma and copd has an albuterol inhaler. What the company missed is the training concept. Training cost the office money. Poor pt use equals poor out comes. If you want to create a loyalty to a device they should have put albuterol alone in the device. It makes an easy transition.