• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

How Seroquel XR Really Works

Take the simple example of depression, as measured by the popular Hamilton Scale. The scale measures insomnia and weight loss, but not hypersomnia and weight gain. Using this scale, a patient who sleeps too much and eats too much is less depressed than someone who sleeps too little and has lost weight. And, any drug that fixes sleep and makes you gain weight has an advantage over drugs that don't. In fact, a third to half of the improvement on the Hamilton could be accomplished by improved sleep and appetite alone. Go Zyprexa.

You douchefuck. Not one psychiatrist at the Mayo or Harvard or UCLA can tell you HOW any of these drugs work or where or on what receptor. A couple of morons at NIH sit and play with brain scans but not one practicting psych who sees real mental illness gives a fuck about this topic. It is all about symptom abatement at whatever cost and whatever dose of whatever drug. Did you enjoy your little nonsense article.?

It's a great drug, I don't believe it. We need to get to 20 percent market share so it has to work. Too bad we trailed Abilify to market by 2 years despite being approved six years earlier.

XR is like Tubocharged Seroquel.....it's like saying Grande when ordering coffee...It's like a Harry Potter movie, the sequels just keep getting better....Years of research goes in before the XR goes on....I use these on my docs all the time,, really gets them thinking,

You douchefuck. Not one psychiatrist at the Mayo or Harvard or UCLA can tell you HOW any of these drugs work or where or on what receptor. A couple of morons at NIH sit and play with brain scans but not one practicting psych who sees real mental illness gives a fuck about this topic. It is all about symptom abatement at whatever cost and whatever dose of whatever drug. Did you enjoy your little nonsense article.?

So what is the mechanism of action? NET? Bullshit douchefuck, right back at you. Seroquel XR does not work by NET for bipolar depression or for MDD. That's the point nimrod. AZ marketing can make up what they want but it does not mean it's true. That's the point of the article. And the Hamilton rating scale has some significant flaws with its emphasis on sleep and appetite. Thanks for making my point asswipe.

XR is like Tubocharged Seroquel.....it's like saying Grande when ordering coffee...It's like a Harry Potter movie, the sequels just keep getting better....Years of research goes in before the XR goes on....I use these on my docs all the time,, really gets them thinking,

yeah, about Starbucks, maybe. Those are really, really, really lame analogies.

I was the one who called AZ to tell them that seroquel and grapefruit can put patients in the hospital. What is their problem. You would think that someone who calls and says "I want to report an adverse event" would clearly be in the pharma industry. The person taking the call was hugely rude. I had spent four days in the hospital, nearly in a coma.

Then, my bloodpressure dropped to 57/38. I was in the hospital for more than a week. When I went to the ER, the attending er md came and took my bp by hand. How many times do you think the attending er md at YALE has manually taken a patient's bp in the past decade?

All of the drugdealers who mix seroquel with cocaine know something about this drug that AZ doesnt want psychiatrists to know. And, what is up with it being the most commonly abused drug in prisons in the US?

Seroquel is crack to AZ, worth $5 billion a year. It's serious crack. Unfortunately, no one cares about your side effects, we're making buckets of money with Seroquel and that's all that counts.

I was the one who called AZ to tell them that seroquel and grapefruit can put patients in the hospital. What is their problem. You would think that someone who calls and says "I want to report an adverse event" would clearly be in the pharma industry. The person taking the call was hugely rude. I had spent four days in the hospital, nearly in a coma.

Then, my bloodpressure dropped to 57/38. I was in the hospital for more than a week. When I went to the ER, the attending er md came and took my bp by hand. How many times do you think the attending er md at YALE has manually taken a patient's bp in the past decade?

All of the drugdealers who mix seroquel with cocaine know something about this drug that AZ doesnt want psychiatrists to know. And, what is up with it being the most commonly abused drug in prisons in the US?

Sorry, but your talking pharmacokentics, we are taking pharmacodynamics

All I know I'd that it makes me tired enough to fall asleep but I wake up every single day with nausea. And sometimes in the middle of the night I will have a couple of episodes of acid reflux.

Do to the threat of generic erosion the makers of Seroquel XR are coming with Seroquel XR Silver. A more colorful package and a sleeker looking pill will hopefully lure more customers to want this attractive medicine over the old IR and XR versions. XR Silver will be available in the same strengths and will priced at a premium as to make this a pill for the popular. XR Silver is scheduled to be launched early this summer. Look for print advertising and media advertising to start sometime in May.

For cryin' out loud it's just extended release Seroquel. Period. The molecule is no different. All the rest of the stuff AZ claims about receptors is marketing hooey and smoke and mirrors. Years of research?! How 'bout years to wait until close to patent expiration? The biggest difference could be sedation and a lot of docs like regular Seroquel for that.

Do to the threat of generic erosion the makers of Seroquel XR are coming with Seroquel XR Silver. A more colorful package and a sleeker looking pill will hopefully lure more customers to want this attractive medicine over the old IR and XR versions. XR Silver will be available in the same strengths and will priced at a premium as to make this a pill for the popular. XR Silver is scheduled to be launched early this summer. Look for print advertising and media advertising to start sometime in May.

So glad to finally hear that XR Silver is finally coming out!

Just for shits and giggles, google studies comparing seroquel xr and seroquel ir! We were told to tell docs that xr was kinder and gentler. There is no proof that xr has less somnolence. Remember for a few weeks we were showing the scales supposedly showing xr had less somnolence, then we couldn't.? It was all a crock of shit! The FDA pulled the plug on that one! AZ is a bunch of $ hungry greedy assholes, that couldnt care less about patients. the other posts are correct all you have to show in improvement on the MADRS is increased appetite and improvement in sleep, seroquel XR or IR both shine there!

My partner and I said from the beginning they should have never stopped promoting IR. The potential for mdd with xr was failed from the beginning. This is what happens when you have people on the brand team with nothing but marketing experience. You would think the idiots would talk to people in the psych world about what they need, not what they think about the marketing message. Just think about the market share if we would have had a sleep indication? Or if they continued with the anxiety safety information for the FDA? Giant FAIL.