• Wed news: Lilly’s 4.5B medicine foundry project. 5 FDA decisions to watch in Q4. Hurricane Helene and the health supply chain. Lundbeck taps Charles River for AI-enabled neuro drug discovery. Amgen tax evasion lawsuit. See more on our front page

How many calls a day are actually real?

<

How many calls a day are actually real where you talked to the dr and how many do you make up while you sit on the couch or go play golf?

You do that and it WILL catch up with you. Plan your day...go make the calls you need to make - are you going to physically see all the providers..probably not, but you will talk to the staff (nurses, Ma's, lab, etc) and if the providers are physically there and you had a discussion with a staff member and provided something to the provider...then yeah...count it as a call. We all do that....you have to in order to make your PDE's which the company uses to show our shareholders that we are working. Do not just call an office and ask who is in (that will catch up to you as well) go out in the field and do your job to the best you can - schedule lunches, breakfasts, appt.'s, pharmacy calls, take counterparts out to lunch/coffee. You can do a really good job out in the field and still accomplish all of it by 1:30-2 in the afternoon if you start out at 9. Some days will be longer than others, but you can have a nice work/life balance...but PLEASE do your job! You're paid well and you should be ashamed of yourself if you are making up calls. Good grief...you have it pretty good versus a 9-5...stop being an ingrate! It's quality not quantity...but you need to be out there conversing with your customers (staff and providers + pharmacies). Play golf or sit on the couch AFTER that has been done...don't be a dip wad and screw it up for the rest of us...PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

You do that and it WILL catch up with you. Plan your day...go make the calls you need to make - are you going to physically see all the providers..probably not, but you will talk to the staff (nurses, Ma's, lab, etc) and if the providers are physically there and you had a discussion with a staff member and provided something to the provider...then yeah...count it as a call. We all do that....you have to in order to make your PDE's which the company uses to show our shareholders that we are working. Do not just call an office and ask who is in (that will catch up to you as well) go out in the field and do your job to the best you can - schedule lunches, breakfasts, appt.'s, pharmacy calls, take counterparts out to lunch/coffee. You can do a really good job out in the field and still accomplish all of it by 1:30-2 in the afternoon if you start out at 9. Some days will be longer than others, but you can have a nice work/life balance...but PLEASE do your job! You're paid well and you should be ashamed of yourself if you are making up calls. Good grief...you have it pretty good versus a 9-5...stop being an ingrate! It's quality not quantity...but you need to be out there conversing with your customers (staff and providers + pharmacies). Play golf or sit on the couch AFTER that has been done...don't be a dip wad and screw it up for the rest of us...PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE

You are kidding right? When they start more layoffs due to not meeting crazy quotas and to trim for the Shire merger, do you think those that have worked harder are safer?
Ask anyone whose been working at this crazyhouse for more then 3 years how it really plays out. Nothing matters its all a crapshoot when its time to roll heads.
If you don't think the Shire deal combined with a dismal Metabolics outlook and a disappointing sales figure from HCV is going to result in enormous layoffs, you are a complete idiot. Possibly even before yearend.

I work hard every day, I leave early, see anyone and everyone who will talk to me.
I come home around 5, I work hard, my fellow reps in my district all work very hard, it's difficult for sure but it's our job that we are getting paid for.
I think most of what I read on this site is bullshit written by just a few malcontents pussies.
You people, you know who you are, get a job you like and stop the bull.

You are kidding right? When they start more layoffs due to not meeting crazy quotas and to trim for the Shire merger, do you think those that have worked harder are safer?
Ask anyone whose been working at this crazyhouse for more then 3 years how it really plays out. Nothing matters its all a crapshoot when its time to roll heads.
If you don't think the Shire deal combined with a dismal Metabolics outlook and a disappointing sales figure from HCV is going to result in enormous layoffs, you are a complete idiot. Possibly even before yearend.

Totally agree with this statement. Been through several Abbott/Abbvie layoffs and have seen many hard working reps get canned while slackers have survived. Its all based on random criteria like where you live in relation to the territory,etc. Even asskissers like the one above who is sooo insecure they have to post on this anonomous site how hard they work, got shit canned. Seriously, many times it almost looked like they were zeroing in on the hard workers and ass kissers when the cuts were made.
If you are clueless or just unaware, they always use a third party vendor who selects the layoff candidates. These people don't know Joe Shmoe from Little Ricky when they make their selections. It avoids lawsuits claiming biased opinions.
Now that the Shire deal might be dead, they are going to have to make even leaner sales teams or the stockholders will be really pissed.
Just saying.

Criteria...really?
Try, in order: Your MSA and lowest threshold for coverage over a variable period of time (a model that a 3rd party usually creates), provider access, TA potential for NRx, TA sustainability for TRx, managed care/pharmacy coverage or support, other regional costs. How many of these factors can you control? Get some signatures and build a network outside the industry!!

Calls, shmalls. Look at the big picture folks. If the Shire deal falls, we are really screwed. At least before they had Shire reps to tap for layoffs and share the pain, now its only us.

$1.6B is a hefty penalty fee and will come out of our hides. The cuts are going to be deep in sales and marketing on anything that is either a lame duck product, ie Androgel or proves to be a big disappointment,ie HCV. And those of us in cake areas that are grossly overstaffed with an ancient product (don't want to shoot myself in the balls by being too obvious) are surely to get the big stick up the ass too.

Calls, shmalls. Look at the big picture folks. If the Shire deal falls, we are really screwed. At least before they had Shire reps to tap for layoffs and share the pain, now its only us.

$1.6B is a hefty penalty fee and will come out of our hides. The cuts are going to be deep in sales and marketing on anything that is either a lame duck product, ie Androgel or proves to be a big disappointment,ie HCV. And those of us in cake areas that are grossly overstaffed with an ancient product (don't want to shoot myself in the balls by being too obvious) are surely to get the big stick up the ass too.

I think Abbvie will be purchased. Allowing that company to absorb the 1.6B fee

I think Abbvie will be purchased. Allowing that company to absorb the 1.6B fee

No one will touch AbbVie. The expense of the failed purchased/merger with Shire, the fact that 75% of the sales comes from Humira that will have a generic by 2017, the delayed Hep C, and no real block buster are coming will keep other companies away. The only future for AbbVie is to get back into buying. If you are old enough to remember, in 1999, Abbott tried to buy a company know as Alza but at the last minute Alza pulled out because they felt that Abbott over valued their stock. The failure lead to the Knoll purchase and Humira. Maybe AbbVie and Ricky G. can get lucky again just like is mentor Miles and find another diamond in the rough.

On a good day,when I am not in the mood to lie, I might get in one real call or two. I would say that 90% of my "calls" would never, ever, meet the definition of a real call. I find myself a lot of days going to the mall or gym earlier and earlier. It's just the way it is.

Oh, on my way to the gym for an early morning workout!

Its official. We are the only lambs left to be sacrificed. Shire dodges the bullet.

A 2015 and we treat reps like its 1998. Make calls...and calls...and more fucking calls...

Cut the sf and influence those accounts or providers writing the businesses. Move from reps to account managers. Hire or train new skills.

No more mindless rep armies. No more unmotivated 9-2 field travel managers with no accountability for their performance.

Fix it. This model is broken.

This (Pharma) will always be a highly-regulated, scrutinized, babysitting and cheerleading promotional role. It's a marketing execution position, staying on point, no peripheral dialogue (certainly no off-label) about what-if approach/proforma/financial analysis. At the end of the day, it's not selling, it's attention-grabbing. You can't tout non-approved benefits, change pricing or influence local managed care. No home made bread (even if clinical data is published and publicly available) or current news stories. Can't talk head to head unless you have the OK (and the study) by your PRB dept. It really is silly...but I got 10 good years at 3 pretty good companies. You used to be able to make a career out of it, jump to another company, leverage your network and experience within a TA and hospital. But it fell apart and it's all business now down to the last call on the reach and frequency report. I agree with earlier posters; scrap this model and let people sell. God knows there's no accountability in these companies higher management (when ZS comes in and starts ripping up territories and backing in call decks, you know you have no control or say).

This (Pharma) will always be a highly-regulated, scrutinized, babysitting and cheerleading promotional role. It's a marketing execution position, staying on point, no peripheral dialogue (certainly no off-label) about what-if approach/proforma/financial analysis. At the end of the day, it's not selling, it's attention-grabbing. You can't tout non-approved benefits, change pricing or influence local managed care. No home made bread (even if clinical data is published and publicly available) or current news stories. Can't talk head to head unless you have the OK (and the study) by your PRB dept. It really is silly...but I got 10 good years at 3 pretty good companies. You used to be able to make a career out of it, jump to another company, leverage your network and experience within a TA and hospital. But it fell apart and it's all business now down to the last call on the reach and frequency report. I agree with earlier posters; scrap this model and let people sell. God knows there's no accountability in these companies higher management (when ZS comes in and starts ripping up territories and backing in call decks, you know you have no control or say).

The plan is to greatly reduce the armies of reps. It is inevitable, it has already started and it is necessary from a profitability standpoint. Access issues and Sunshine act were the final nails in the coffin. Don't count on milking this cow for much longer.

What other business pretends to run 90% fake interactions? Imagine if your dr did this they'd be charged with fraud but reps do it for years while collecting 6 figure incomes then a pension.