• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

How did Olivia Troutman go from Merck rep to Pfizer marketing manager?

Don't overdo it and miss a key point. MKTG manager is NOT that significant a jump from a successful sales rep. In fact, it is a good progressive step in a developing career. A very common career path in and outside of Merck.

Don't overdo it and miss a key point. MKTG manager is NOT that significant a jump from a successful sales rep. In fact, it is a good progressive step in a developing career. A very common career path in and outside of Merck.

I think it's a huge jump for a rep. If it wasn't you'd see it more frequently. Most reps are career reps until they get booted out of the industry by age 40. Then, they go get a crap sales job in another industry.
Anyway, I know Olivia and think she deserves the promotion.

I think it's a huge jump for a rep. If it wasn't you'd see it more frequently. Most reps are career reps until they get booted out of the industry by age 40. Then, they go get a crap sales job in another industry.
Anyway, I know Olivia and think she deserves the promotion.

Of course percentage wise there are more reps remain as reps, promoted to specialty reps or move to other companies as reps. But marketing manager indeed is the first step up and sometimes there are more marketing managers than you think. You can be a marketing manager for an old and tired product ready to go generic and your top project is a SR or combo formulation. Then you can be a marketing manager of the latest revenue generator with more new indications down the road. Some of my friends who were reps progressed past marketing managers. Some got stuck. Some got eliminated.