• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

How did Olivia Troutman go from Merck rep to Pfizer marketing manager?

Anonymous

I don't get it. How did Olivia Troutman go from being a Merck sales rep to getting a marketing manager job at Pfizer? I thought reps are career reps til the get ousted to contract sales, and then booted from the industry. I can't think of any rep that's ever been promoted much less one that gets a management position at another company. Anyone know how she did it?

<

Interviewed

My good friend Chris tompson went from leaving the position I took over as rep to becoming manager to trainer to Risperadol product manager to Vice president of JNJ. Could not have happened to a nicer, kinder, funnier etc., etc., guy in the world. Just wish he would have taken Alex Grekko's job. Almost did as CEO. It happens when you are sincere, smart, handsome etc., etc. - and so funny(miss the days we played hookey)!!!!

Jealousy?

Did you know her backgrounds before joining Merck as a rep?

She interviewed well and her resume is solid?

To some a rep's job is temporary to pay the bills after getting laid off from a previous job.

I don't get it. How did Olivia Troutman go from being a Merck sales rep to getting a marketing manager job at Pfizer? I thought reps are career reps til the get ousted to contract sales, and then booted from the industry. I can't think of any rep that's ever been promoted much less one that gets a management position at another company. Anyone know how she did it?

Don't hate the player, hate the game -Olivia

Merck under-utilizes real talent and loses real talent every day. Could tell u a few stories of people from the once great onc division. Some of those people came here with huge resumes. And left. Its a merck problem. Look at where some of those people are now!

Take a wild guess

I heard she took some classes while at Merck so she could position herself for a better job. Also heard she was doing some kind of freelance job on the side while at Merck to gain extra experience. I met her once at a meeting. Nice, sharp gal who speaks 3 languages and lived for a year in Prague.

Kind of inappropriate to name someone as not capable in landing a good job.

There is a process called interview and she must have done well with proven track records to back it up.

I always really liked Olivia! She is smart, down to earth, respectful of others, and very fit! She even competed in the Honolulu triathlon last year and spends her Christmas vacations with her family in Switzerland. She also has a great fashion sense....Burberry coat, Christian Loubatian shoes, Louis Voutaian bag, and Tahari suits. She carries herself well and has tons of confidence.

I heard the new job pays really well and she got a 10k signing bonus and 4 weeks vacation!

The OP is a non-Merck troll or a relatively new rep boiling over with envy?

Even with all the layoffs, people are still promoted.

Just like when the global economy tanked companies were and are still hiring, promoting, and relocating people.

Be more positive. Cheer when someone move on to a better job.

I can cite you more examples of people who were product managers with other companies, got laid off, became Merck reps and were quickly discovered and promoted to utilize their talents. Or reps who have language skills, lived abroad extensively and got promoted to, say, Merck South America or to Merck Asia.

I always really liked Olivia! She is smart, down to earth, respectful of others, and very fit! She even competed in the Honolulu triathlon last year and spends her Christmas vacations with her family in Switzerland. She also has a great fashion sense....Burberry coat, Christian Loubatian shoes, Louis Voutaian bag, and Tahari suits. She carries herself well and has tons of confidence.

I heard the new job pays really well and she got a 10k signing bonus and 4 weeks vacation!

Jee-zus!! Too much personal information!

Why the hell didnt you go ahead and post Liv's Social Security number? I seriously doubt she appreciates all that flattery in such a public forum as this.

I just called Ken Frasier on his cellular phone (yes, his personal cell phone) and he confirmed to me (after he had his staff check (it can be done, but it costs A LOT!) The OP is just getting everyone's "goat" here. There is no Olivia Troutman that went to Pfizer. Oh ...to the OP, Ken will be calling you personally and letting you know the bad news about your "60 day warning"

I just called Ken Frasier on his cellular phone (yes, his personal cell phone) and he confirmed to me (after he had his staff check (it can be done, but it costs A LOT!) The OP is just getting everyone's "goat" here. There is no Olivia Troutman that went to Pfizer. Oh ...to the OP, Ken will be calling you personally and letting you know the bad news about your "60 day warning"

Why on earth would you pay a lot of money to check this story out? I think Olivia would be very disappointed that you invaded her privacy.

Merck's CEO has better things to do than verify rumors on Cafepharma. Also, his staff consists of VP level executives --not exactly the kind of people who would spend time verifying the employment status of a low level former drug rep!

Anyway, congrats to Olivia! She did what most low level drug reps could never do-- got a mid-level job!

Yes, Congrats to her. Please do not forget about my buddy Chris tompson who almost made CEO. I know why he didn't. It was a medical reason. I just do not want to share on café pharma. Congrats Chris!!!