• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Historically how does AZ do layoffs?

Anonymous

I have been with AZ for about three years and havent seen many big layoffs yet. The only one I saw was on the left side and they seemed to force rank the reps and the manager had input as to who they wanted to keep. Does this seem to be the case in most cuts at AZ? Do they ever just cut a whole team (ie. MCR 2) ? From my past experience in other big pharma companies it is legally easier for a company to just cut across the board rather than looking to retain top talent. I am nervous of things to come with AZ. I have had the best performance of everyone on my team and I am just wondering if a cut is done if that even matters?

(please only genuine responses, there is enough mean pointless jargon on other threads)

1) They have an executives only meeting and decide to have layoffs, and set a timeline / action plan.

1.1) Make sure the legal team reviews the plan, has its input, and rubber stamps the plan.

2) Inform the representatives that all is well, that there will be no layoffs (worded in a slippery enough way so that technically there was no lie, kind of like when Bill Clinton didn't understand what the interviewer meant by "is.")

3) Set up as many people as possible to fire "for cause," preferably for a violation of a compliance issue ("We did it because we must care about abiding by the law. We really had no choice but to fire the representative.")

4) Send out a sudden, urgent message that there will be a conference call tomorrow morning at 7AM. Announce that there will be layoffs during that call. Instruct affected teams to stay home and wait for a call later the next day informing them of their status.

Sorry pal, that's what you're looking at. You'll get no warning, if the shoe drops, tough luck.

1) They have an executives only meeting and decide to have layoffs, and set a timeline / action plan.

1.1) Make sure the legal team reviews the plan, has its input, and rubber stamps the plan.

2) Inform the representatives that all is well, that there will be no layoffs (worded in a slippery enough way so that technically there was no lie, kind of like when Bill Clinton didn't understand what the interviewer meant by "is.")

3) Set up as many people as possible to fire "for cause," preferably for a violation of a compliance issue ("We did it because we must care about abiding by the law. We really had no choice but to fire the representative.")

4) Send out a sudden, urgent message that there will be a conference call tomorrow morning at 7AM. Announce that there will be layoffs during that call. Instruct affected teams to stay home and wait for a call later the next day informing them of their status.

Sorry pal, that's what you're looking at. You'll get no warning, if the shoe drops, tough luck.
Quick answer, EVERY YEAR!!! This year will be no different. If you are MC you have a 1 in 4 chance of being let go before June. If you are in Oncology then say bye bye. If you are in hospital and Brilinta gets the shaft then say bye bye. If you are a DSM or RSD you have a 1 in 3 chance of being let go by April. Those are the dirty little secrets that nobody is telling you.

Initially, they will manage out some PSSs, then just not fill in some territories. And if you are lucky, there will be a mass lay off so you can get some package. Don't believe in a fallacy of fairness, I was doing great with my products, great rapport and clinical skills with docs and was l kicked to the curb.

Your sales, CL standing etc. will mean nothing. Your past history will mean nothing. AZ will use a 3rd party company ZS or Cognizant, to do their dirty work. There is literally nothing you can do to better position yourself. Nothing. I strongly suggest you start investigating other careers, because you have no future here. Take it for what it's worth.

Quick answer, EVERY YEAR!!! This year will be no different. If you are MC you have a 1 in 4 chance of being let go before June. If you are in Oncology then say bye bye. If you are in hospital and Brilinta gets the shaft then say bye bye. If you are a DSM or RSD you have a 1 in 3 chance of being let go by April. Those are the dirty little secrets that nobody is telling you.

Why Oncology? I just had an interview for oncology today. Would they hire then turn around and let people go?

Thanks for your input, I thought with most of my team being slackers and my manager tells me she sees this I may have a shot through the 2011 slaughters!

1,000 different variations on the theme, but the message to everyone is: "you will not be laid off." In your example, if there's even a hint of truth to her comments to you, the other reps she sees as slackers are hearing, "you're fine, just keep improving and things will work out well for you..."

And that's if she has an honest bone in her body. If she has a chance of progressing past DSM up the career ladder, she's doesn't -- she's a big fat liar and never speaks the truth unless it fits her hidden agenda. And no DSM's agenda includes informing anyone that they might be suddenly fired.