• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Good Bye Saphris Team

If you are over 50 and you act and look like you are over the hill then you will never find employment. Period. Anywhere. Stop blaming others for your inability to get a job. Take accountability for yourself. I have seen people in their 40's and 50's land better opportunities than they had at Merck by and far.

FYI, I look 10 years younger than I am, and I act young as well. I'm in great shape, well-informed, and totally self-aware. I was employed by the same company for over 25 years, surviving many down-sizings (i.e., if I was a loser, they would have gotten rid of me a long time ago!) I'm the epitome of accountability, which played a key role in my success over the years. I left my company on my own accord, due to health matters of a family member that needed my full time attention. Now that I am able to go back to work, and have started the job hunt, I am not "blaming others". I am blaming a system (online application, screening firms) that cuts off human contact and significantly reduces one's chances of being interviewed. While I am happy to hear that you know people who have landed better opportunities than they had at Merck, that is not the case among the unemployed that I know who are over 50.

Yes in nature the old are eventually excluded. For example once there is a younger stronger challenger is ready to take over the older alpha male animals are pushed aside and left to live out its time alone. Don't take it personally it's just the way it works. Hope you saved up and didn't spend all that money!

You could benefit with some work on English grammar. I absolutely don't take anything personally. I know who I am, and what value I bring to the table. It's getting to the table that is of concern. As far as money, I could retire today. But I'm too young for that. Too much of life ahead to sit at home.

I have never ever seen an ad regarding a job fair for pharma sales. Once I'm "in the door" (i.e. interviewing) I will land very well, thank you. The issue I am raising is the difficulty of getting an interview in the current environment of online application and outside search firms who are instructed to screen for cheaper (which usually means younger) candidates.

Look again! Or you can simply think where is merck building their R&D hubs.....where there are tons of biotech companies. That is where the job fairs are. I believe the job fairs happen every 6-8 weeks but I might be wrong. Yes, there are HR folks at site to interview you. Personally, if you can, get out of this industry and get student loans and get an engineering degree. iPad tracking, off label issues, sample accountability, field visits....is this worth it?