• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Financial Press Reporting on Merck's Outstanding Pipeline

Anonymous

I just never get the disconnect between reality and what I read about Merck in the
financial press...

Check out Motley Fool today...reporting on big profits ahead due to Merck's outstanding
pipeline of new products...

what gives? I am confused??

I thought Merck's pipline was as dry as Lindsey Lohan's martinis?

<

Emphasis on FOOL there. The joker called out Tredaptive as a source of future revenue. Unless he's being clever about avoiding Vioxx II he's grossly misinformed since its been pulled from the market. The rest of the write up is one hope after another - drug discovery is some of the riskiest business - but generally rests on the positive sign that they raised the dividend during the recession and the hope they'll do it again.

So funny, I just had the exact same thought. Many of the "smart" analysts don't really understand these companies. The same article mentioned Tredaptive? Singular going generic? I think someone missed a deadline and pulled this out of the trash heap.

I purchased put options---a lot of them. With a strike of $45, I should double my money within one year.

Thank you, Merck! Without your gross incompetence, I'd miss this great opportunity.

The financial press is also full of fools that are being duped by good story tellers.

Just listen to Adam and the top management that Merck is like Nirvana.

Just look at top line revenue growth it is flat. Since merger there is no clear trend of growth. Its all about cutting expenses and price increases. The last 4 product launches have been failure.

That is the true story based on reported facts and figures!

I purchased put options---a lot of them. With a strike of $45, I should double my money within one year.

Thank you, Merck! Without your gross incompetence, I'd miss this great opportunity.

Fat chance. The current 52 week range tops out around $48 and it's on a dip today - even below your $45 put. Not to mention buying put options is different than holding stock. If you plan on buying the stock @ your $45 option price you will likely be at break even to a bit underwater if the contract expiry is 4/15.

In other words, don't quit your day job.

Fat chance. The current 52 week range tops out around $48 and it's on a dip today - even below your $45 put. Not to mention buying put options is different than holding stock. If you plan on buying the stock @ your $45 option price you will likely be at break even to a bit underwater if the contract expiry is 4/15.

In other words, don't quit your day job.

I'm not the guy you responded to, but I did the exact same thing he did and pocketed over 20% in three days. I had to guess at the expiration date. I picked Jan 2015.

To the guy who did post the message about buying put options, please post more about Merck or other stocks. I'd say you indeed are smart enough to quit your day job.