• Wed news: Medicare $2 generics. Biogen’s high-dose Spinraza. Roche breast cancer trial. Lilly’s unique AI deal. Sage Alzheimer’s fail. See more on our front page

Expected Base Salary Vs years experience

Anonymous

I am new to pharma I have 1 1/2 years experience with 1 year b2b. I don't know what personal standard i should be expecting for my base salary vs experience. Those of you who have been in the industry for a while what should someone expect with the following pharma experience 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 years..ect with a solid track record of success. to shed some light on compensation with 2 1/2 years sales experience I have a base salary in low 60s.

I am new to pharma I have 1 1/2 years experience with 1 year b2b. I don't know what personal standard i should be expecting for my base salary vs experience. Those of you who have been in the industry for a while what should someone expect with the following pharma experience 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 years..ect with a solid track record of success. to shed some light on compensation with 2 1/2 years sales experience I have a base salary in low 60s.

First off I'm impressed you decided to get into pharma. Very volatile right now as I guess most industries are. But many of us are trying to get out.

To answer your question it depends on the company. Some will start you around 40-50k and some as high as 70-80k with the experience you have. Atleast that's my opinion.

I have had both device offers and pharma..pharma gives more. Everyone that has been in it for awhile from what I see is stuck in a funk of being burnt out from the job/doesn't care and just drops samples. This job isn't going anywhere unless there are no more drugs/reps are totally blocked from seeing physicians. Where else can someone work that gives work life balance, all the benefits, and 85K+ a year? Some things that are apart of the job are annoying but its part of the job. There isn't a better job. Back to the real reason I posted..how many years of experience do you have and whats your base? My past partner was a rep for 6 years with a base of 71k...

I have had both device offers and pharma..pharma gives more. Everyone that has been in it for awhile from what I see is stuck in a funk of being burnt out from the job/doesn't care and just drops samples. This job isn't going anywhere unless there are no more drugs/reps are totally blocked from seeing physicians. Where else can someone work that gives work life balance, all the benefits, and 85K+ a year? Some things that are apart of the job are annoying but its part of the job. There isn't a better job. Back to the real reason I posted..how many years of experience do you have and whats your base? My past partner was a rep for 6 years with a base of 71k...

pharma gives more upfront...but if we think we are real sales people we'd get out. you can make SO MUCH more money in other sales jobs....dirty little secret is we are too lazy.

You'll start at the base, $45-$55k, looking at $20k or less bonuses.

Try medical device now with your b2b sales. Once in pharma, they give you less chances.

No job in pharma is perfect. It may also prevent you from getting into other sales jobs outside of medical if you want to get out.

Your $60k base is pretty good. Maybe you should get into a b2b job selling something you love and have a passion for? I doubt you'll have a passion for begging doctors to prescribe your one of 10 other drugs on the market for a disorder like erectile dysfunction or hot flashes or diarrhea.

I'd sell weapons of war if i could do it all over again. Pick your passion and go for it now.