• Tue news: Merck's Keytruda stages comeback in head and neck cancer. GSK, Pfizer RSV vaccine sales fall. Astellas gene therapy bet. Extreme weather —>drug shortages. J&J discontinues bladder cancer drug. See more on our front page

Everyone deserves a good manager! ??

anonymous

So what happened to this place? Now this company has become a management junkyard. We have all the managers that no one wants. I cringe every time they call themselves "leadership" team. It is like I went to bed and woke up with a totally different company. What a downgrade! While I feel thankful that I spent the best years of my career here, I also feel lucky that I will be leaving this sinking ship in 3 weeks for a good company. Just wish I took the package. But then who would have thought that this company could become this terrible.

So what happened to this place? Now this company has become a management junkyard. We have all the managers that no one wants. I cringe every time they call themselves "leadership" team. It is like I went to bed and woke up with a totally different company. What a downgrade! While I feel thankful that I spent the best years of my career here, I also feel lucky that I will be leaving this sinking ship in 3 weeks for a good company. Just wish I took the package. But then who would have thought that this company could become this terrible.

Silly post. Your are dumb if you didn't see the writing on the wall. And you want to complain about it now?

It's true. JF says this, but it's not even remotely backed up by action. She is surrounded by either mega-ineptitude or sycophants, or inept sycophants. "Sinking ship" is almost kind. More like a torpedoed ship blown to smithereens. JF's lack of experience, coupled with her wife's, allowed them both to be buffaloed by PH and her b.s. It's amazing how one or two individuals can be so bowled over by one who is, quite literally, despised. It's amazing how PH, single-handedly, virtually destroyed everything about the GNE MSL organization, and I'm not talking BioOnc either, I mean the entire organization. All of the "good managers"- to quote Joni - have left, only to be replaced by rookie managers or serious suck-ups. Sorry you didn't take the package, but happy you are getting out of this dumpster fire of an organization.

I just jointed Genentech recently with some realistic expectations. I heard about the turmoils and all. However, I really had no idea how bad some of these leaders are until a few weeks ago. I asked a few co-workers and they just rolled their eyes without saying much. I am having a really bad vibe and buyer remorse is the first thing that came to my mind. So what happened to all the "good managers"? No decent company would intentionally get rid of their good managers. Did they all leave on their own or were they let go? I also just learned that many of the HDs within and outside my ecosystem have no people management experience. How did they get their jobs? They don't seem to know much about the disease state or market as they should. Your insight is appreciated since I don't comfortable asking my peers.

I just jointed Genentech recently with some realistic expectations. I heard about the turmoils and all. However, I really had no idea how bad some of these leaders are until a few weeks ago. I asked a few co-workers and they just rolled their eyes without saying much. I am having a really bad vibe and buyer remorse is the first thing that came to my mind. So what happened to all the "good managers"? No decent company would intentionally get rid of their good managers. Did they all leave on their own or were they let go? I also just learned that many of the HDs within and outside my ecosystem have no people management experience. How did they get their jobs? They don't seem to know much about the disease state or market as they should. Your insight is appreciated since I don't comfortable asking my peers.

One would hope you did your homework before drinking the Genentech koolaid?! At the most, you had better had really solid reasons for leaving where you were to join the land of misfit toys. Forewarning, Santa and Rudolf will not be coming to save you on December 24th, so you’re on your own making your way out. Yes to all of your observations, “leaders” with no leadership experience kissing the ring of AH. Enjoy

You should strongly consider leaving especially if you are a contractor. If other new people are ready be this. They should also think of leaving. Do not think long term here. The management is Unethical, to say the least. Group think like communism has ruined this place. If people can not freely exchange their views then democracy has truly died. This is corporate dictatorship. A European company doing business in America but has no allegiance to Americans or local law. In other words, they want you to think like them even if you do not hold their values. Drop Genentech like a bad habit. FAST.

Most, if not all, good managers left on their own. They knew they would not be picked up by the new cult company. They got a nice package and left without looking back. Communism is probably the best way to describe the current state of GNE. Sad. Really sad! No one dares to disagree unless you are ready to leave. The current leaders from VPs down to the HD level are mostly seconds and rejects with bad reputation. They have no skills or integrity to speak of. So your observation is spot on. This swamp is poisoned with bad characters, snakes and clowns. You should start planning your exit. Most of us are.

Hopefully, your experience will be better than most of ours. What happened to all the "good managers"? Most left on their own. Several were not offered positions - double standards on JF's part. The "good managers" would be told things like "you have to live in your region" and not offered an interview, only to be replaced by someone who didn't live in the region (who is a new manager), and things like that. Same with MSLs too. JF and PH have their big bag of double standards for people who share their new "group think". Other managers were told, point-blank, by PH, "don't even bother applying", because PH had some Toadie she wanted to instill in the roll. A number of other good managers just flat wouldn't work under the Napoleonic and Machiavellian PH. Under JF/PH, you have 1/3 of all BioOnc MSLs leave in under a year and a half, and 3/4 of one of the BioOnc teams bailed - because of PH's leadership/influence. PH's own people called her "toxic", publicly even, and JF promoted her. Again, I hope your experience is different and wish you the best of luck, but this is why so many good people have left the company.

To simply answer your question. This place has become extremely toxic in a very short period of time. Good managers have options and they left with a nice package. So we get stuck with the ones who are either cronies or the second and third tiers that couldn't go anywhere else. I hope you are prepared to move on since Genentech will continue to shrink. This ship is sinking fast with the horrible quality of our leadership team.

Hopefully, your experience will be better than most of ours. What happened to all the "good managers"? Most left on their own. Several were not offered positions - double standards on JF's part. The "good managers" would be told things like "you have to live in your region" and not offered an interview, only to be replaced by someone who didn't live in the region (who is a new manager), and things like that. Same with MSLs too. JF and PH have their big bag of double standards for people who share their new "group think". Other managers were told, point-blank, by PH, "don't even bother applying", because PH had some Toadie she wanted to instill in the roll. A number of other good managers just flat wouldn't work under the Napoleonic and Machiavellian PH. Under JF/PH, you have 1/3 of all BioOnc MSLs leave in under a year and a half, and 3/4 of one of the BioOnc teams bailed - because of PH's leadership/influence. PH's own people called her "toxic", publicly even, and JF promoted her. Again, I hope your experience is different and wish you the best of luck, but this is why so many good people have left the company.
Truth