• Tue news: Merck's Keytruda stages comeback in head and neck cancer. GSK, Pfizer RSV vaccine sales fall. Astellas gene therapy bet. Extreme weather —>drug shortages. J&J discontinues bladder cancer drug. See more on our front page

Economics and the pension

Anonymous

If you are upset over the changes in the pension plan -

Corporate profits are hitting record levels, despite the fact that there are 5 million fewer people employed since January 2008.

"Do more with less" is a corporate mantra - not just Pfizer. CEOs are hired to grow revenue and/or profits. Since Pfizer has less revenue, but still has the pressure to continue to be highly profitable - cutting expenses (including people and their benefits) is the only way to continue to please Wall Street until revenue starts to move in a more positive direction.

Ian Reed is not interested in how this affects the everyday Joe (or Jane) - that's not his job. He is getting paid (well, very well) to satisfy the BOD, and the shareholders. Not the employees. CEOs know that they can shred the employees morale (and present and future economic stability), but in order to collect the paycheck (which most of us really need - we are also interested in our short term ability to satisfy our own version of Wall Street) we will continue to get the job done. Once the company starts to grow revenue (and increase profits even more), the lost jobs, benefits, etc. will not re-materialize. In fact, things could get even worse, as the pressure mounts for even more "efficiency". It's a vicious cycle. More jobs and benefits can be lost in the effort to remain "competitive" (more corporate speak).

Quote from the most recent Business Week - "there's no better time to be a talented entrepreneur - and there's no worse time to be a middle-class person without special skills".
Sadly, this description may apply to those of us in the salesforce. I don't mean to insult - lots of smart, talented people here - just not trained in areas that can't be replaced easily (or outsourced, or contracted or eliminated in favor of technology).

Get angry, get disgusted, get complacent. Worse - feel the fear of not realizing the money that you had planned on receiving to protect you in the years where you are not able to earn any additional income through employment. I wish I knew the answer. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under us - years of work with this company now in jeopardy, less pension to rely on, savings earning nothing (or less, with inflation), investments moving sideways (after a long time contributing/investing faithfully), home value down 30%, medical costs skyrocketing, etc. I am in the same boat as I imagine many of you are. Time is not on our side.

Any thoughts? By the way - idiot or negative comments about not relying on the pension should find there way to another thread. Some of you rocket scientists are feeling pretty smug that you didn't have to count on the pension - but lots of people who are too far into their lives, families, careers, etc. are not as "smart".

My financial advisor says the new pension changes are actually a good thing. I am a PHR with 14 years in. I was with one of the other "legacy" companies. The new match for me will go from 7% to 13%. Admittedly, I don't understand it all, but my guy gives it two thumbs up.

My financial advisor says the new pension changes are actually a good thing. I am a PHR with 14 years in. I was with one of the other "legacy" companies. The new match for me will go from 7% to 13%. Admittedly, I don't understand it all, but my guy gives it two thumbs up.

tell your financial guy ur chances of being here in 2018 is two thumbs down...bahaaaaaaa

My financial advisor says the new pension changes are actually a good thing. I am a PHR with 14 years in. I was with one of the other "legacy" companies. The new match for me will go from 7% to 13%. Admittedly, I don't understand it all, but my guy gives it two thumbs up....my female a$$ets and can't wait to get his hands on my wad.

Bottom line is that Ian & the ELT figure if they cut $500,000,000 from the pension plan and keep half for themselves, they can tell the BOD they produced $250,000,000 in savings. That is how this little Scottish midget works.... Not via innovation and growth, but by playing 3 card monte with the pension plan and selling profitable businesses to "invest" in executive compensation.

I wish the Occupy Wall Street crowd would take over 235 E. 42nd Street and toss that little bastard out his corner office window. Karma has a date with Pee Wee Ian...

If you are upset over the changes in the pension plan -

Corporate profits are hitting record levels, despite the fact that there are 5 million fewer people employed since January 2008.

"Do more with less" is a corporate mantra - not just Pfizer. CEOs are hired to grow revenue and/or profits. Since Pfizer has less revenue, but still has the pressure to continue to be highly profitable - cutting expenses (including people and their benefits) is the only way to continue to please Wall Street until revenue starts to move in a more positive direction.

Ian Reed is not interested in how this affects the everyday Joe (or Jane) - that's not his job. He is getting paid (well, very well) to satisfy the BOD, and the shareholders. Not the employees. CEOs know that they can shred the employees morale (and present and future economic stability), but in order to collect the paycheck (which most of us really need - we are also interested in our short term ability to satisfy our own version of Wall Street) we will continue to get the job done. Once the company starts to grow revenue (and increase profits even more), the lost jobs, benefits, etc. will not re-materialize. In fact, things could get even worse, as the pressure mounts for even more "efficiency". It's a vicious cycle. More jobs and benefits can be lost in the effort to remain "competitive" (more corporate speak).

Quote from the most recent Business Week - "there's no better time to be a talented entrepreneur - and there's no worse time to be a middle-class person without special skills".
Sadly, this description may apply to those of us in the salesforce. I don't mean to insult - lots of smart, talented people here - just not trained in areas that can't be replaced easily (or outsourced, or contracted or eliminated in favor of technology).

Get angry, get disgusted, get complacent. Worse - feel the fear of not realizing the money that you had planned on receiving to protect you in the years where you are not able to earn any additional income through employment. I wish I knew the answer. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under us - years of work with this company now in jeopardy, less pension to rely on, savings earning nothing (or less, with inflation), investments moving sideways (after a long time contributing/investing faithfully), home value down 30%, medical costs skyrocketing, etc. I am in the same boat as I imagine many of you are. Time is not on our side.

Any thoughts? By the way - idiot or negative comments about not relying on the pension should find there way to another thread. Some of you rocket scientists are feeling pretty smug that you didn't have to count on the pension - but lots of people who are too far into their lives, families, careers, etc. are not as "smart".

Here's what I find so frustrating about the situation you outline above: NONE of the ELT (as far as I can tell) are especially talented, visionary, entrepreneurial, or motivational relative to the compensation they command or the titles which have been bestowed upon them. I get what the Business Week article is driving at, but in reality, most C-suite positions are occupied by those with the best political skills, best connections, or most ruthless ambition, not true talent for the business or industry. As evidence, I offer up the Fortune article on Kindler's demise. Had Kindler truly been the right choice of CEO would we have ever heard of Read? Sussman? Hill? Gulfo? I think not. I get why people like Jobs, Gates, Buffet, Mulally (Ford), Palmisano (IBM) get huge compensation packages and accolades--they actually build something significant or restore once-great companies to their former glory. What are we getting at Pfizer besides screwed?

If I were you I would find another advisor. I am fifty years old and want to retire at 60. go to your pension calculator and do a pension estimate with the pension ending in five years and another with it if it went to the end of your career and then add in the little extra match they are going to give you. Mine shows the company saving a bunch of money that was supposed to go into my pocket.

Shame on PFE for this one!

Sorry #7 - have to disagree on Sam Palmisano (IBM). They did exactly the same to their employees that is happening at Pfizer. Did you know that 70% of IBM is now offshore? That they tried to force a cash balance pension plan on the older employees years ago, but had to relent when the employees/IRS got involved. They managed to screw them anyway when they froze the pension in 2009 and went to the new "enhanced 401Ks". How do you think that the stock price (and Palmisano's pockets) got to where they are. Not a role model - just another example of corporate America.

Financial planners do better when companies force employees to depend on 401Ks for their retirements - no one pays them for advice on how to invest the pension (unless you actually receive it, in the form of a lump sum). Take what they say with a big grain of salt. I used to hate conspiracy theories about wall street, banking, finance etc. but I'm starting to think differently!

Above post, meant #6, not 7.

Business Week wasn't stating that ELT types are "talented entrepreneurs" - just that this may be the type of individual that does better than the "middle class w/no special skills" in today's economy.

I don't give the ELT credit for being talented - just good at what they do (destroying companies/lives to inflate the bottom line to make Wall Street happy).

If I were you I would find another advisor. I am fifty years old and want to retire at 60. go to your pension calculator and do a pension estimate with the pension ending in five years and another with it if it went to the end of your career and then add in the little extra match they are going to give you. Mine shows the company saving a bunch of money that was supposed to go into my pocket.

Shame on PFE for this one!

Yep, most of the employees with 10-15 years left to retirement are totally screwed in this deal. Ian is basically dipping his filthy, dirty, greedy little midget hands into everyone's pockets to enrich himself and his inner circle. This has nothing yo do with improving Pfizer's bottom line and EVERYTHING to do with Ian improving his personal bottom line.

Ian is a thief. He has stabbed his fellow Pfizer employees in the back. I pray he dies soon so I can wear my devil costume to his funeral and walk around asking the fellow party-goers if it's hot in here or is it just me?

Above post, meant #6, not 7.

Business Week wasn't stating that ELT types are "talented entrepreneurs" - just that this may be the type of individual that does better than the "middle class w/no special skills" in today's economy.

I don't give the ELT credit for being talented - just good at what they do (destroying companies/lives to inflate the bottom line to make Wall Street happy).

I take your point about Palmisano and IBM's traditional pension decision--I'm sure many long-time employees were unhappy and probably got a lesser deal. But he (along w/Gerstner before him) took a sinking IBM ship/culture and not only righted it, but put it back at the top. Does anyone think Pfizer's ELT has that type of talent, vision, leadership? Compare the IBM ELT talent (past and present) to Pfizer's; it's scary. As an employee I'd probably trade continuation of the defined pension plan for an enhanced 401k match if I had confidence that Pfizer can again grow and prosper as IBM did. I'm guessing that the IBM stock price run-up alone more than made up for the loss of pension value for many IBM employees.

IBM stock price did little for employees (unless they went out and bought them) since only the top echelon received options. The rank-and-file were kept in place during the dot com boom by the golden handcuffs of what was supposed to be the pension. Palmisano gutted the US and sent over 2/3 of the jobs to other countries. But he did save a floundering whale. I think Ian is attempting to emulate.

Well then, the best way for Ian to immulate Palmisano is to continue the Gutting Game and also AMP up Emerging Markets. Why not just close ALL American R&D facilities and move them Abroad.

PS Sometimes it's not always about the Stock Holders. Sometimes, it's about the STOCK OPTIONS; the chips that upper echelon have in their possession to cash in.

oh no...which State Director got IanIZED? I'm sorry, something is just wrong with all of these Pfirings. I know people who got Pfired years of service over NOTHING. And then you see people like JK and SS involved with $35,000.00 a plate Dinners to enhance the livlihood of government officials?????

Come on! I thought the Pfizer dinner allowance was under $150.00 per head!

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the threads about the pension changes with great interest and I'd like to write about it on Pharmalot. I run the blog and often write about employment issues and matters of concern to reps (lots of coverage of the courts cases on overtime pay would be one example). I'd appreciate it if anyone would send the explanation about the pension changes. My email address is: ed@pharmalot.com Be sure to use a personal email account and computer. And no, I'm not interested in making anyone famous.

Regards,
Ed Silverman

You people are priceless. You bitch about how corporate America is continually screwing you over but then you keep voting Republican. HELLO!!!! Is anyone home in those pretty little heads!!!! There's a direct connection between voting in Republicans and then getting screwed. HELLO!!!!!!

You people are priceless. You bitch about how corporate America is continually screwing you over but then you keep voting Republican. HELLO!!!! Is anyone home in those pretty little heads!!!! There's a direct connection between voting in Republicans and then getting screwed. HELLO!!!!!!

we tried the republicans, threw them out in '92, tried the democrats, them out in 2000 & went back to republicans, then we went back to the democrats in 2010.

bottom line-we can only tolerate lies from one party for so long before we crave lies from the other.

Hello - original poster here.

No I don't vote Republican, and never have, but thanks for the pretty little head comment. Although I believe that the Repubican party tends to favor big business over the individual (and offshoring jobs, and propping up Wall Street, etc.), I would switch to another party (Green, Libertarian, whatever...) if it meant that we could reverse the negative trends that are affecting much of the middle class in this country.

By the way - I have never donated a cent to the PAC either, and never would. I knew all along that Pfizer would never use that money for anything else other than bribes/lobbying for the best interest of the MAJOR shareholders, not small fry like me. And I have never been under the illusion that patients would benefit either - unless they fell under "collateral good luck" - (trying to think of good way to phrase the opposite of collateral damage), and happened to benefit by something the scientists invented (or most likely Pfizer bought).